AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen

Posted By: Marty

Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 11:16 AM

A security officer was stabbed twice during a broad daylight robbery in downtown San Pedro. The security guard has been identified as Robert Assi, a resident of the DFC area of San Pedro Town. The victim was apparently attacked by two men as he was heading to make a deposit at the bank. The robbery occurred at the corner of Barrier Reef Drive and Caribeña Street sometime around 1:20PM on Tuesday October 7th.

According to Assi’s employer Milo Paz of Milo’s Center, after the security guard was attacked and stabbed by the two men, the assailants made off with a deposit bag that was in his possession, containing $130,391. The culprits then ran towards the beach and continued southwards. The injured security guard ran behind his assailant yelling for help. Paz indicated that a group of citizens ran behind and one of the culprits was contained by a concerned resident. The San Pedro Sun understands that during the process, the deposit bag fell and a crowd in the area of Central Park began pulling at the bag, eventually bursting it. Those in the area scattered to help themselves to the lose money, allowing the original culprits to get away. “We are hoping that the people will return the money,” said Paz.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Big heist in San Pedro

According to the San Pedro Sun a security guard was attacked and robbed of $130,891 at the corner of Barrier Reef Drive and Caribeña Street sometime around 1:20PM on Tuesday October 7th.

The Sun reports that 2 men attacked Roberto Assi, who works for a collection agent. The two men then robbed him of a deposit bag containing $130,891. Police are looking for the two men whose identity are known to them. One of the suspects have been caught.

Security Guard Stabbed while Robbers Lose $130K in Failed Robbery Attempt

Mr. Milo Paz of Milo’s Center is now appealing to the street vendors and people who took the liberty of helping themselves to the money, to come forward and return the stolen cash.

“It is not their money and keeping it is still stealing,” commented Milo Paz.

Security guard Roberto Assi was rushed to the San Pedro Poly Clinic for treatment to his stab wounds to his upper chest and shoulder. He was in a critical but stable condition after the incident as is now recovering. It is expected that charges will be brought against the two robbers following a police investigation.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

Posted By: Bean Hunter

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 12:29 PM

First : what was he doing with that much cash??
Second: The obvious < the assailants most likely knew he had the cash.
So I would look for people who knew him.

OK I just noticed that it was One Hundred Thirty Dollars >>not>> $130,000.00
Posted By: Chris

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bean Hunter

OK I just noticed that it was One Hundred Thirty Dollars >>not>> $130,000.00

No, it WAS $130,000 Dollars.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 01:07 PM

You talking US dollars or Mexican peso's ?
If US dollars ? I still ask What was he doing with that kind of money and who was his friends that knew he had it??
Posted By: Phil

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 01:12 PM

Why would it be anything but the currency of Belize? Try and show some sensitivity - a man has been critically injured doing his job.

They are the main collection agency for several large Belizean companies, largest of all at a guess being BEL where almost everyone pays their Electric Bill around now.
Posted By: Tracker

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 01:18 PM

Totally agree with you Phil, people should read the full report before making any comments.
Posted By: Inplub

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 01:45 PM

I have a question, if I had paid my electric bill there, will BEL come after me for the payment or will they go after the company I paid it to?

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 01:54 PM

I am not trying to be nonsensitive Just trying to understand what was going on for him to have that much $$
But Phil and Tracker < you are correct. I fully understand now.
Thank you for helping me understand.
I hope the people do thhe right thing and return the $$

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 02:52 PM

Luckily only 40K was in cash, the rest was cheques.
Posted By: Golfr

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 03:04 PM

What has become of the human race...?
Posted By: Edwardo

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 04:12 PM

What has happened to San Pedro? tourist will stop coming ,real estate dry's up ,People stay away. bad for the Island. Seems every other week something happens there anymore. Second thoughts myself.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 05:13 PM

GLF$ - What has happened --- GREED
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 09:59 PM

"So, while the robbery was foiled, the money has in effect been stolen by residents of the island."

That about sums it up.

F'in sad.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 10:43 PM

That should keep Herman's Carnival going a while.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/08/14 11:41 PM

"Central Park Vendors"....it is well known that most of these "vendors" double up as drug dealers. Yet we let it go on and feign surprise and shock when they steal the robbery proceeds.

And, unfortunately, some on this board lump all residents of the island with these scumballs because they stole the stolen money.
Posted By: Welland

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/09/14 01:22 AM

Expect something like this to happen at night not during the day. What happened to the San Pedro I came to know and love?
Posted By: R.P. McMurphy

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/09/14 01:43 AM

Just one of the MANY reasons why I left "Paradise"!
Posted By: elbert

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/09/14 08:16 AM

and you think the rest of the world is different.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/09/14 02:44 PM

Ditto Elbert's comment. My own experience was long ago - we opened a bar in Northern California in the 70's. The bank was 1/2 block away and had a night drop. The closing bartender dropped off the cash receipts each night after locking up. It took about 2 weeks from the day we opened for somebody to stick the poor guy up, handcuff him to a urinal, and take the cash. That was in a sleepy, affluent town where nobody locked their doors and the cops drove drunks home and put them to bed instead of arresting them.
We just didn't see it coming.

More important than weaponry, is an unpredictable schedule for deposits and a minimum of cash on hand.

Posted By: Capt. Hollywood

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/09/14 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Welland
What happened to the San Pedro I came to know and love?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Welland

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/10/14 01:00 AM

Nice try.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/10/14 07:17 PM

Christmas comes early for some San Pedranos!

A security officer from the DFC area of San Pedro Town was stabbed during a daring afternoon jacking by a pair of robbers while en route to making a bank deposit at around 1:30 p.m. yesterday in downtown San Pedro.

The robbery occurred at the corner of Barrier Reef Drive and Caribeña Street when Cleofosio Robert Assi, 28, a security officer who is employed at Milo’s Center in San Pedro, was reportedly accosted by two armed culprits, one of whom stabbed him in the right shoulder, while the other wrested a deposit bag with what police have now confirmed to be more than BZ$39,000, after which they both fled toward the beach on foot.

Assi told police that he had been transporting the deposit bag with the money – which were the proceeds of Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) payments from a Western Union office located inside Milo’s Center, which also operates as a collection agency for BEL and other companies – inside a backpack, but upon reaching in front of a store near the bank, he suddenly felt someone grab the backpack, after which a struggle ensued between him and two thieves, one of whom stabbed him.

Milo Paz, the proprietor of Milo’s Center, who spoke to the media on Tuesday after the incident, said that Assi was on his way to make a routine money deposit at the Belize Bank San Pedro Branch via bicycle when two assailants, one of whom was later detained by residents, pounced on the unsuspecting guard and wounded him before making off with a deposit bag containing BZ$39,355.75 in cash.

The culprits then ran southwards towards the beach, while the security guard, who was not gravely injured, followed closely behind, yelling for help.

Paz indicated that at that time, a group of residents who witnessed the holdup set chase behind the robbers, one of whom was eventually captured in the area of Central Park.

Amandala was told that the situation took a major twist because there was a scuffle between the robber and a few of his civilian captors, during which the deposit bag was ripped apart. Money literally flew in the air and on the street, which caused a feverish “free-for-all” in which the thief’s captors and a crowd of onlookers, including park vendors, reportedly proceeded to help themselves to the thousands of dollars that were strewn across the busy street.

We were told that while that animated episode was taking place, the robber saw an opportunity to escape and slipped away from the scene.

According to police, several persons have since been detained in connection with the robbery; however, the main suspect is believed to have already escaped from the island.

Authorities also said that an undisclosed amount of the money, a portion of which had already made its way to nearby Caye Caulker, was recovered by reviewing security footage which reportedly showed the bystanders scooping up the loose cash and dashing off, and that an investigation is being conducted to see if past or present employees of the establishment may be implicated.

While initial reports were that the stolen loot was within a $130,000 range, an official police report which was issued today stated that a total of $39,655.75 was stolen, and that Assi was able to identify one of the culprits as a brown-complexioned man with dreadlocks and a bearded chin.

Assi, who is currently recuperating from what we were told was a superficial wound, was taken to the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II, where he received medical treatment and has since been released.

While police have identified and are seeking the main suspect, we understand that no charges have yet been filed against any of the individuals in custody because the investigation is still ongoing.

Amandala
Posted By: tahunt

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/10/14 07:49 PM

What a title to this story. Sounds like the writer trivializes the entire event and justifies the locals THEFT of the money.
Posted By: PSUhorty

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/11/14 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by elbert

No, of course not. But we hope that what we thought was paradise was in fact paradise. San Pedro is in something close to becoming a death spiral. 'Death Spiral' probably strong words, but for lack of better terms, it's definitely down-trending w/respect to crime. I've been to the beautiful island several times and in the past recommended it. I no longer do.
Posted By: AJ Baxter

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/11/14 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Originally Posted by elbert

No, of course not. But we hope that what we thought was paradise was in fact paradise. San Pedro is in something close to becoming a death spiral. 'Death Spiral' probably strong words, but for lack of better terms, it's definitely down-trending w/respect to crime. I've been to the beautiful island several times and in the past recommended it. I no longer do.

Strong words and hyperbola in my opinion. Poverty, guns and violence exist throughout the world (and at home). Good luck with finding your utopia.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/11/14 10:56 AM

But there is typically one glaring similarity all over the world. We are just not allowed to mention it...
Posted By: Phil

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/11/14 12:24 PM

News is instant via the internet and social media takes it to the next level. Nothing travels like bad news.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/11/14 01:39 PM

I think Phil's comment refers to a tendency for those who don't have satisfying lives of their own to treasure the experience of "shadenfreude".

Schadenfreude: is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.[1] This word is taken from German and literally means 'Harm-Joy.' It is the feeling of joy or pleasure when one sees another fail or suffer misfortune.

(IMHO this is not a good thing)
Posted By: jhill123

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/11/14 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by GLF4
But there is typically one glaring similarity all over the world. We are just not allowed to mention it...

When a population is oppressed and there are no jobs, or pay, then why not take from the rich? That's the elephant in the room.
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/11/14 10:39 PM

Very Nice Diane.....I like that....And yes, we see it all over the world......
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
I think Phil's comment refers to a tendency for those who don't have satisfying lives of their own to treasure the experience of "shadenfreude".

Schadenfreude: is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.[1] This word is taken from German and literally means 'Harm-Joy.' It is the feeling of joy or pleasure when one sees another fail or suffer misfortune.

(IMHO this is not a good thing)
Posted By: Inplub

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 01:26 AM

It is not about rich and poor, it is about have and have not. If you have no money to buy food you will take food of anybody that has food, does not matter if they are rich or poor they have food and you do not.

IMHO
Posted By: seashell

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 07:16 AM

Diane, it's not that I disagree with you in over all principle but everyone involved in this instance seems to have had food. They just wanted the money, from the initial robbers to those that thought they'd hit the lotto. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there were as many holding back as there were grabbing for themselves.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by seashell
Diane, it's not that I disagree with you in over all principle but everyone involved in this instance seems to have had food. They just wanted the money, from the initial robbers to those that thought they'd hit the lotto. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there were as many holding back as there were grabbing for themselves.

Hi Seashell - please read my post again. I commented on Phil's mention that bad news travels fast on the internet. My comment was on how people enjoy spreading bad news. My comment had nothing at all to do with people grabbing money from the bag, not grabbing money from the bag, nor who has food to eat.

For the record, I don't support anybody grabbing money the way these folks did. It's looting.
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 02:39 PM

Bad behavior is bad behavior. For citizens to loot that money while some poor guy was bleeding is horrible. This story is awful on so many levels. But in no way do I believe that the vendor population represents the many hard working people of SP who have so many fund raisers for their fellow citizens in need that it hard to keep up with it.
Posted By: reefenit

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 02:46 PM

Broke people will grab flying cash.............I'm sad to here this story!

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by pamkillen
Bad behavior is bad behavior. For citizens to loot that money while some poor guy was bleeding is horrible. This story is awful on so many levels. But in no way do I believe that the vendor population represents the many hard working people of SP who have so many fund raisers for their fellow citizens in need that it hard to keep up with it.

Agree with Pam. I think it is also notable that local citizens were chasing the bad guy - putting themselves at risk to do the right thing. I hope Milo's will say thanks. THEY deserve a gift of turkey or ham.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jhill123

When a population is oppressed and there are no jobs, or pay, then why not take from the rich? That's the elephant in the room.

Because if you're poor and a good person you don't steal, stab, loot or kill.
Posted By: Uncle Buck

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris
Originally Posted by jhill123

Because if you're poor and a good person you don't steal, stab, loot or kill.

Yeah, because the rich would hate that competition.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/12/14 04:38 PM

Agree with Chris too. There are good, honourable people out there. A LOT of them.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/13/14 12:43 PM

I find it odd how all the perps in the pictures we see these days look so similar.
Posted By: yelmer

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/13/14 03:25 PM

What exactly do you mean by that?

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/13/14 11:25 PM

I mean exactly what I say. Is there any ambiguity?

Or is the the beginning phase of offense by proxy?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/14/14 01:22 AM

Yes.

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/14/14 04:37 AM

Now that's ambiguity...
Posted By: seashell

Re: Security guard stabbed: $130G stolen - 10/14/14 07:39 AM

My apologies Diane. I meant to respond to inplub and not yourself.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board