AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Even "Meticulous" Manza Got COVID - 12/09/20 11:49 AM

Dr. Marvin Manzanero, the Director of Health Services, has tested positive for COVID-19. For months he has been the leading public Health official who has been advising Belizeans on the country's daily struggle with the ongoing pandemic.

But, now, despite all the precautions he's taken - and urged us all to take, early this morning, 7News received reports of Dr. Manzanero's positive result. He confirmed his positive test to us via WhatsApp, and shortly after that, he made a public post on Facebook discussing it.

In that post, Manzanero says, quote, "...with many sleepless nights over the last 10 months, things do happen. For those who work closely [with me], they would note that I am very meticulous and careful about physical distancing and enforcing mask-wearing at all times- double mask lately.

Therefore, I can't really say what happened, but beyond being on the ground around flu clinics, areas in Corozal a couple of weeks, and having had short 1-on-1 meetings with MOH staff (with all precautions taken) over [the] last couple of weeks, [I am] not really unaware of any real exposure beyond that.

After starting with minor throat itchiness on Friday, [I] finally went in for a swab yesterday - [I] never been swabbed for SARS-CoV2 - that result has become positive via a rapid antigen test."

Manzanero then concludes his post by reiterating that Belizeans should not let their guards down. He warns that there may come a point in this pandemic where members of the public may have to wear masks while they're at home as well. Manzanero declined an interview at this time, and would only say that he hadn't been feeling the best but he assumed it was the stress of work - only to find out he had COVID.

And that stress has not been easy for a ministry in transition. Where sources say that Dr Manza has kind of been put to the kerb, as the new Ministry reconfigures its COVID plan. It does so without the CEO, Deysi Mendez - who is at home also recovering from COVID.

Channel 7

Dr. Manzanero, Director of Health Services Belize, tests positive for COVID-19. He shares the following on his Facebook Profile:

"Life is life and in COVID-19 times well, there are just other factors that we tend to appreciate more.

It hasn't been an exact roller coaster ride for me and with many sleepless nights over the last 10 months, things do happen.

For those who work closely, they would note that I am very meticulous and careful about physical distancing and enforcing mask wearing at all times- double mask lately.

Therefore, I can't really say what happened but beyond being on the ground around flu clinics areas in Corozal a couple of weeks and having had short 1 on 1 meetings with MOH staff (with all precautions taken) over last couple of weeks, not really unaware of any real exposure beyond that.

After starting with minor throat itchiness on Friday, finally went in for a swab yesterday - never been swabbed for SARS-CoV2 - that result has become positive via a rapid antigen test.

Folks, we cannot let our guards down.

It may get to the point where the person who works outside from home may need to start wearing a mask home too!"

Posted By: Marty Re: Even "Meticulous" Manza Got COVID - 12/09/20 06:14 PM
Director of Health Services Tests Positive for COVID-19

The Minister of Health and Wellness, Hon. Michel Chebat, SC hereby informs the public that the Director of Health Services, Dr. Marvin Manzanero, has tested positive for COVID-19.

During his absence, the Ministry announces the appointment of Dr. Melissa Diaz as Acting Director of Health Services. Dr. Diaz has served as the Deputy Regional Manager for the Central Health Region in the Belize District and has worked with the Ministry for 12 years.

The public is encouraged to continue to wear masks properly, practice physical distancing, and continue to follow all guidelines from the Ministry of Health and Wellness.

The Ministry wishes Dr. Manzanero a safe and speedy recovery.
Posted By: Marty Re: Even "Meticulous" Manza Got COVID - 12/13/20 11:15 AM
Love News has confirmed that Dr Marvin Manzanero is admitted at the KHMH. Reports are that he is stable and is under observation. He has undergone chest xrays since his admission Saturday afternoon.
Posted By: Marty Re: Even "Meticulous" Manza Got COVID - 12/14/20 11:20 AM
The Ministry of Health and Wellness Wishes DHS a Safe Recovery

The Minister of Health and Wellness, Hon. Michel Chebal, informs the public that Director of Health Services, Dr. Marvin Manzanero, is currently hospitalized at Belize Healthcare Partners Limited for conditions relating to COVID-19. His condition is stable, and he remains under observation.

COVID-19 knows no boundaries and remaining vigilant is essential. Even as every possible precaution is taken, there is still a risk. Belizeans, therefore, have a collective responsibility to each other to follow all guidelines from the Ministry of Health and Wellness. The public is reminded to continue to wear masks properly, wash hands and sanitize often, avoid social gatherings, and practice physical distancing.

The Ministry of Health and Wellness and the entire nation is praying and wishing for the safe and speedy recovery of Dr. Marvin Manzanero and all individuals currently battling the effects of this illness.
Posted By: Marty Re: Even "Meticulous" Manza Got COVID - 12/15/20 11:52 AM
Manza Stable And Recovering

Lockdown or no the fallout from the infection rate thus far will continue to send Covid patients to the hospital. One such patient currently admitted at HealthCare partners is the man who has guided the nation through this unprecedented crisis.

But at least, in this case, there's some good news because although DHS Dr. Marvin Manzanero is still receiving treatment, his condition is said to be stable. Still, he remains under observation.

Channel 7
Posted By: Marty Re: Even "Meticulous" Manza Got COVID - 12/18/20 06:10 PM
Director of Health Service, Dr. Marvin Manzanero expected to be released from the hospital.

Minister of Health and Wellness Michel Chebat has announced that Dr. Marvin Manzanero is recovering well after being hospitalized last Saturday due to symptoms from COVID-19. He noted that the DHS may be released, if not today, then tomorrow.
Posted By: Marty Re: Even "Meticulous" Manza Got COVID - 12/23/20 11:55 AM

Dr. Marvin Manzanero at Home Recovering

Health and Wellness Minister Michel Chebat also provided an update on Doctor Marvin Manzanero. Manzanero, who had been hospitalized after contracting COVID-19, is now at home recovering.� During his time away, Doctor Melissa Diaz was appointed as acting Director of Health Services, and from what Minister Chebat said, it does not seem like Manzanero will return to his office as Director of Health Services. However, according to Chebat, Manzanero will return to the ministry and will play a key role in advising the government.

Michel Chebat, Minister of Health and Wellness

"I want to take the opportunity since we are talking about this team to talk about our former DHS Doctor Manzanero. His name comes up every time we are on a talk show or a press conference. They ask about him and I want to say that I am please to say that Doctor Manzanero has now been released and he is at home recovering and we certainly wish him a speedy recovery and I want to clarify that there are no issues between him and I. It is unfortunate that this issue has been sensationalized. I believe that he is a highly qualified doctor. I believe that he did the best that he could possibly do while he was the DHS, but we are in a war so speak in this country. COVID is no joke. In times of war we need a war time general. We need someone who has actually been on the ground, seeing this first hand, knowing on a first hand level what this pandemic is about, knowing how to address and react to these circumstances. That is why we had a shift. In war we need a war time general and we found in Doctor Diaz that person. She has been on the ground. She has been on the frontline battling this virus. So we place our trust in her to lead this team.� We are not going to throw the experience and the knowledge that he has, we are not going to throw that away. Actually we look forward to his full recovery and for his reincorporation into the Ministry of Health and Wellness. And we do expect that he is going to be part of this team, helping to advice and to lead the country along he correct path."

Channel 5

Posted By: Marty Re: Even "Meticulous" Manza Got COVID - 12/30/20 12:06 PM

Dr. Manza - Crushed By COVID 19

And while Ramirez is recovering from that major blunder, Director of Health services, Dr Marvin Manzanero is also still in recovery mode after contracting COVID-19. It's been a gruelling three weeks for the man who has been the face of Belize's fight against the virus, but that face is now looking quite the worse for wear.

As Dr Manza said in a Facebook post last Thursday: he had to spend 6 days in the isolation unit and lost 19 pounds in one week. He said that it is as if he is just learning to walk again since the virus took its toll on him physically, as well as mentally. There were times when even he believed that he would not make it.

Now, the Good Doctor is slowly recovering and gave his first post-COVID interview to BEL for their 2020 Community Spotlight Award. Dr Manza noted that Belize is entering its tenth month with the virus, and continued to advise Belizeans to follow regulations in place.

Dr. Marvin Manzanero, Director of Health Services
"We in Belize are now going into our 10th month since our first case and now any new case and death that occur takes a toll on all of us. Covid19 is proven to be unpredictable and unforgiven in many aspects. As we learn of evolving and expected mutations we are reminded as a community we must continue to remain cautious, vigilant and at all times be mindful of the key messages such as physical distancing, wearing a mask properly, proper hand washing and avoid the touching of our faces. While vaccines do bring a glimmer of hope for all of us we have to learn to live with Covid19. From a personal standpoint I am still very much in the slow recovery process of Covid19. I can say that I am forever thankful for all the messages, prayers, thoughts and ongoing support that continue to be sent my way. It certainly helps. Covid19 I can tell you has taken a physical and mental and emotional toll on me and continues to be a daily struggle. I am hopeful that together we all will overcome this in Belize. I really do want to wish that everybody remains safe. I really do wish that nobody has to go through what I have been through. I want to make a call to everybody to just stay safe, do take care of your love ones and do give them all the support that they need because this is surely a long battle that will have to undertake and continue to undertake as we move along into 2021."

Despite meticulously abiding by the safety protocols, Dr Manza confirmed that he contracted the virus on December 8.

Channel 7

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board