AmbergrisCaye.com Home
7News has confirmed that UDP Deputy Leader and Area Representative for Corozal North, Hugo Patt has signed a letter supporting Moses "Shyne" Barrow as the next Leader of the Opposition. With that, he now has the support of the majority (3) on the five members on the opposition bench. So, the road is now paved for Shyne Barrow to re-assume the position as leader of the opposition - which he held for three months in the summer of 2021.

Outgoing party leader Patrick Faber indicated earlier this week that he will be resigning both as Party Leader and Leader Of The Opposition on January 31 - but his resignation letters still have not been submitted.

It is expected that Barrow will wait until next week when Faber's resignation takes effect to go to the Governor General to be sworn in - in a repeat of what he did last year June. Will he hold it for more than three months this time? It's left to be seen as the UDP is expected to hold a National Convention to elect a new party leader at the end of March, 2022.

Channel 7
Shyne Barrow Prepares For Second Run At Leader of The Opp.

Tonight, Moses "Shyne" Barrow is again poised to be the next Leader of the Opposition in Parliament. 7News has confirmed that UDP Deputy Leader and Area Representative for Corozal North, Hugo Patt has signed a letter supporting Shyne Barrow as the next Leader of the Opposition. With that, he now has the support of the majority of the five members on the opposition bench. So, the road is now paved for Shyne Barrow to -re-take the position as leader of the opposition - which he held for three months in the summer of 2021.

Outgoing party leader Patrick Faber indicated earlier this week that he will be resigning both as Party Leader and Leader Of The Opposition on January 31 - but his resignation letters still have not been submitted.

It is expected that Barrow will wait until next week when Faber's resignation takes effect to go to the Governor General to be sworn in - a repeat of what he did last year June. Will he hold it for more than three months this time? It's left to be seen as the UDP is expected to hold a National Convention to elect a new leader at the end of March. Barrow is hoping this appointment will put him in prime position to win the party leadership when the convention comes around.

Tracy Says Not So Fast

Hon. Tracy Taegar Panton - UDP Area Rep, Albert Division
"I am predisposed to following the constitution of the party where, in that respect - and, it was one of the things I was advocating for when, in our previous history, there was an attempt to remove my colleague, Patrick Faber, as Leader of the Opposition in the House. You know I never supported that because the Constitution of the United Democratic Party is clear [on] how we deal with that. And we had bypassed those processes and I felt very strongly. I maintain my principal position that those decisions, first of all, must be taken to the National Party Council, and we must act in accordance with the constitution of the party. That says if the Leader is not able to take on that position, then it should be the Deputy Leader in the House. If not the Deputy Leader, then it must be the person with the longest standing, sitting in the House, and then beyond that, the person that got the largest number of votes in terms of margins. So, I think, if we follow our constitution, we should be fine. We do have a Deputy Leader who is in the house, the Honorable Hugo Patt. And, if he doesn't take on that role, the next in line would be me."

Channel 7
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board