AmbergrisCaye.com Home

60 Minutes: Belize (1988)

Posted By: Marty

60 Minutes: Belize (1988) - 01/23/18 06:54 PM

News report on how life was like in Belize in the late 1980s by 60 Minutes correspondent, the late Morley Safer. It touches on subjects such as cultural integrity, the sugar industry, migration of American entrepreneurs and developers, and especially the influence of American lifestyles, with the invasion of American TV and Coca Cola. Featuring interviews and appearances by with the Prime Minister Dean Barrow (then Attorney General), Barry Bowen, the late Vernon Harrison Courtenay and Emory King.
Posted By: klcman

Re: 60 Minutes: Belize (1988) - 01/24/18 12:21 AM

Having tapped into an CBS insider friend several years ago, I have a full uncut VHS tape here somewhere......now what did I do with it?

I distinctly recall Morley Safer stating ( in the on-air opening I believe)...."the news from Belize today is there is no news from Belize today"
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: 60 Minutes: Belize (1988) - 01/24/18 02:38 PM

Hope you can find 15 minutes to watch this......... Great report, lots of interesting stuff here..Honorable Dean Barrow with views of wisdom & kindness..... Enjoyed seeing Jerry M and then Barry B. . .... and one of the ending lines..... "a peaceful country, low on paint and big on heart" ...
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: 60 Minutes: Belize (1988) - 01/25/18 11:23 PM

This show initiated my interest in Belize --- and that interest clearly changed my life. THANK YOU
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board