AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Cuentame un Cuento Abuelito, Tell me a story grandpa

Posted By: Marty

Cuentame un Cuento Abuelito, Tell me a story grandpa - 07/18/21 11:10 AM

The Duende and my Horse

Super excited to share our first video story on our Cuentame un Cuento Abuelito series. Many of us have heard the stories of El Duende, La Llorona, La Xtabai, La Lechona. el Alux. Even though some of us might not believe in these stories, I can assure you that our grandfathers can tell us about their personal encounters with these legendary creatures.

Every Monday for 5 weeks we will be sharing a new story from our abuelitos. The aim of the series is to share a little bit about their livelihood, traditions, history and oral folk stories. Experience the magic of these stories through the memories of our grandparents.
Today’s story is from Mr. Fernando Martinez from San Narciso Village with El Duende Y mi Caballo.

Myths, folktale and legends belong to our history and are part of pur culture.

Banquitas House of Culture

Re: Cuentame un Cuento Abuelito, Tell me a story grandpa - 07/25/21 11:57 AM

This one is entitled " Alux del Monte". The story is from Mr Guillermo Mendoza of Orange Walk Town. He was a fisherman and hunter in his younger days. He enjoyed fishing and recalls when Good Friday was approaching and a group of them would go fishing to supply the town with fresh fish. If you recall getting your fish from them, please leave a comment below.

Thanks to Ms. Sofia Castellanos for sourcing the story. Much appreciated.

Re: Cuentame un Cuento Abuelito, Tell me a story grandpa - 08/01/21 10:47 AM

Cuentame Un Cuento Abuelito- La Xtabai

We are back with our 3rd story of Cuentame un Cuento Abuelito series. This one is entitled " La Xtabai " by Mr Melecio Chable of Orange Walk District. Mr Melecio is 91 years and has vivid memories of his time as a Lumberjack and Chiclero. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks to Mr. Armando Valdez for sourcing the story. Much appreciated.

Re: Cuentame un Cuento Abuelito, Tell me a story grandpa - 08/15/21 11:04 AM

Cuentame Un Cuento Abuelito- La Lechona

Today we have the famous story of " La Lechona". Many had encounters with this creature and many can relate to the late-night walks in our town when it was dark and you saw a black pig slowly walking towards you... Scary and Creepy! Today we have Mr Cosme Duran telling us his encounter with la Lechona. He is 102 yrs and vividly remembers his time at the chicle camps. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks to Mr Armando Valdez for sourcing the story. Much appreciated. Thanks to Fidelia Medina for providing the video of the pig from Caledonia Village.

© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board