AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Thanks to the Veterans - 11/11/11 01:44 PM
To all the Veterans reading this board, thank you for you service!!!!
Posted By: captjeff Re: Thanks to the Veterans - 11/11/11 04:02 PM
Marty a good thought for this special day .
Here is to all the young men and women who died
Fighting in all wars .Rest in peace[.AND THANKS]
May we all enjoy peace in the world now
PEACE WHAT A GREAT THING THAT WOULD BE .
Posted By: azbob Re: Thanks to the Veterans - 11/11/11 04:14 PM
Thank you!
Posted By: tortuga.chica Re: Thanks to the Veterans - 11/11/11 04:33 PM
As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Many thanks to all who serve--past & present.
Posted By: Marty Re: Thanks to the Veterans - 11/12/11 02:21 PM

A Time For Solemn Remembrance

Today, November 11th. was observed as Remembrance Day or Veteran's Day all across the Commonwealth. The observance dates back to the end of the first world war in 1918 when hostilities formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

But at that given hour in Belize City today, the Armed Forces and the Ex-Servicemen league were just finishing up rehearsals for Sunday when the Remembrance will be observed in Belize.

The event will be held - as always - at the Memorial Park where stands the obelisk honoring the dead of World War One. Today, President of the Ex-Servicemen's League Bernard Adolphus told us why we must all honour the observance:..

Bernard Adolphus, President of the Ex-Servicemen's League
"It is important to remember those men throughout the command not only Belize, we have to remember the sacrifice that those men did, remember they were 18, 19,22 years old. Today these men are 101 they are 98, as a matter of fact one just celebrated his birthday, he is 96, the significance, is for us to remember, because most of our young people don't care. they would say that it never affected them. When you read history, if Mr. Hitler had his way, you and I Jules we would not have been here, because Mr. Hitler was looking for that special race and nobody would tolerate that. So the allies got together along with the other countries and that was it, Who was to get chopped got chopped. Subsequently Mr. Hitler was removed, so that is important, we must remember those people who fought, the sacrifice they made. I was in certain school this week and it was quite interested, as thye young kids asking questions. We know they got the message, but when I listen to some of those talk shows and people on the streets they still don't know - what is the significance, the importance of being out here remembering?"

"It's like a birthday celebration, you father died, and every year you want to celebrate his life. Even though some of our men were ax men, it was not only our men it was the British the Canadian everybody were chopping the trees down for a specific reason. The trees were utilized for propelling shaft and other aspect of the planes. So I will always, as long as I am the president my job is to set fire and make sure, not physically, just make sure that everybody is aware of what is happening and because we need the support."

"You see the monument that was destroyed; it was replaced back by the Belize Ex-Servicemen League, at $4, 000 plus dollars. The Belize Ex-Service did that. After asking for help here and there, we said no problem we will do it ourselves, we will show them of all after all this time that we can did it. And the Belize Ex- Servicemen did that and I am proud to tell everybody, that's what we did."

Sunday's Ceremony will be held at 9:00 am at the Memorial Park. The Governor General and other dignitaries as well as the heads of armed forces will attend.

Channel 7

Posted By: Marty Re: Thanks to the Veterans - 11/13/11 03:30 PM
from a friend....

Veteran's Day is not recognized internationally. This
holiday actually is Armistice Day, the day the killing
stopped in 1918, at the end of WWI. In Europe, it is still
recognized as such. The Commonwealth countries celebrate it
as Rememberence Day, which is more like the US Veteran's
Day. I'm old enough to have known WWI veterans, they were my
grandfathers. I'm kinda miffed their recognition day has
been hijacked.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Thanks to the Veterans - 11/14/11 04:41 PM
Well my family recognized that Remembrance Day and Armistice Day are 2 separate events that are now commonly rolled into one.

I guess Veteran's day is a US invention which broadly acknowledges and encompasses all Veterans - which is a good thing too.

As long as our youth learn why wars are waged, who pays the toll and who enjoys the benefits we will be well on our way to raising respectful and productive citizens in the future.
Posted By: PROBUS Re: Thanks to the Veterans - 11/15/11 03:42 AM
Sadly the "mother country" of the Commonwealth has apparently decided that injured servicemen/women will be fired, to avoid the cost of supporting them. That's some way of thanking them.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board