AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Community Shows Support at Cancer Walk - 02/06/12 08:17 PM
[Linked Image]
The community of San Pedro Town showed great support to the San Pedro Cancer Society as hundreds attended the island's second annual "Light the Night" World Cancer Awareness Day Walk that took place on Saturday, February 4, 2012.

It seems that just recently cancer has made a big impact on the community of San Pedro, with more and more families being affected by the disease; either losing a family member, friend or surviving it. A very large crowd gathered at Central Park with candles and special printed T-shirts depicting their color of cancer ribbon of choice. The different colors represented the type of cancer which individuals wanted to show support for.

Click here for the rest of the story and lots of photographs in the Ambergris Today
Posted By: Marty Re: Community Shows Support at Cancer Walk - 02/07/12 02:53 PM

Gobie Challenge In Belize For A Good Cause

Since 2008, Challenge Gobie, an annual bike-a-thon has been raising funds for the treatment of sicknesses such as Cancer, HIV/Aids and Diabetes. This year's funds are geared toward the construction of a top-of-the-line Children's intensive care Unit at the Karl Heusner Memorial hospital located in Belize City. The Gobie Challenge Foundation is working with Kim Simpliss Barrow, KHMH, Project Cure, The Ministry of Health and Special Envoy for Women and Children in order to make this possible. The ride took place on Saturday, coinciding with World Cancer Day, and it met with success. CEO in the Ministry of Health Peter Allen explained the worthy cause behind the ride:..

Dr. Peter Allen, CEO Ministry of Health
"We are going out to tenders, and the tenders are expected to be issued next week for the brand new wing at the Karl Heusner - the children's intensive care unit where all of our kids will be able to get treated right here in Belize, kids from P.G. kids from Corozal, kids from Cayo, kids from all over."

Hon. Melvin Hulse, Minister of Transport
"Riding is already a tough sport and some of you all I see. I pass you all on the road, but what makes it more important is what you do it for, and trust me, there is nothing greater that you can do it for than the two powerful causes you are doing it for today - children and cancer. I am certainly proud, and I am glad you all could be out here, at one o'clock in the morning to ride so that we can work along with people like those guys whose can get help for the children."

Dr. Peter Allen, CEO Ministry of Health
"How long have we been working now? Five years ladies and gentlemen, five years, at the Gobie Challenge Foundation. But I wanted you all to know that especially today, you are raising funds for a brand new wing at the Karl Heusner memorial hospital, which will house the pediatric intensive care unit. You're already well on your way to raising over a million dollars; over a million dollars ladies and gentlemen."

The construction of a Children's Intensive Care Unit in Belize will allow many children access to the medical treatment they need but may not be able to afford.

Channel 7

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board