AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 04/10/13 06:28 PM
Announced for August 1 to 4

After much speculation and anticipation, we believe that many will be pleased to know that the International Costa Maya Festival in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, will go forward for this year. Word just arrived to Ambergris Today from the organizing committee that the festival has been set for August 1 and run until August 4, 2013.

The announcement came a bit late this year as for the speculations that there might not have been any festival this year. Construction of the Sunset Boardwalk at the old football field (venue of the festival) seemed to be getting in the way, but it does not seem so. The committee will get back to work in organizing another spectacular festival that brings so much entertainment and revenue for the island and Belize.

More in the Ambergris Today
Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 06/25/13 07:02 PM

Costa Maya Festival Announces Miss Belize Pageant Contestant, Destinee Arnold

Queen of the Jewel Miss Belize 2012 Destinee Arnold has been confirmed to represent Belize at this year's Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant that will take place during the San Pedro International Costa Maya Festival, August 1 - 4, 2013.

Destinee Arnold won the title of Queen of the Jewel Miss Belize in July 2012 and represented Belize in the Miss International Pageant in Okinawa, Japan in 2012. She participated in the Miss Ethnic World pageant in Long Beach California where she won the title of Miss Ethnic World 2013.

At 20 years of age and standing at 5' 7" tall, Destinee brings much experience with her to the Costa Maya Pageant. She is currently a model and a student at California State University - Fullerton. She has brown eyes, light brown hair, and her hobbies include dancing, reading, spending time with her family and volunteering.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more photos in the Ambergris Today

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 06/26/13 11:32 AM

Los Yonics to headline International Costa Maya Festival 2013!

The International Costa Maya Festival is scheduled to take place from August 1st to August 4th, and will be featuring several fabulous cultural activities, as well as the yearly pageant for the Reina de La Costa Maya. This year's highlight performance will be coming via the Latin Grammy-Nominated band Los Yonics. With over 30 albums released since the Mexican pop group formed in the 1970's, Los Yonics will be bringing hours of music for all to enjoy.

Los Yonic's began playing together in San Luis Pedro but later moved to Acapulco, playing both tropical pop music and ballads. Members of Los Yonics are: Johnny Ayvar - lead vocals; Jose Manuel Zamacona - vocals, guitar; Mountain Martin - piano; Bruno Ayvar; Oscar Perez; Eduardo Corner - saxophone, flute; Vincente Martinez - saxophone, flute.

Palabras Tristes

Rosas Blancas

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 06/30/13 11:05 AM

Costa Maya Festival presents Miss Honduras!

Hot on the heels of the announcement of Belize's representative for this year's Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant taking place during the International Costa Maya Festival being held August 1 - 4, 2013, we announce Honduras' beauty. She is 19 year old Monica Alexis Elwing Gough.

Monica is the reigning Miss Honduras World 2013 and will be represent Honduras at the Miss World 2013 in September. Standing at 5' 7" tall, Monica is a radiology intern with green eyes and light brown hair, she measures at 36-24-36. She enjoys reading, volleyball and going to the beach.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/03/13 11:08 AM

Costa Maya Festival presents Miss Costa Rica!!

The Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant® takes place during the International Costa Maya Festival® being held August 1 - 4, 2013, and readers eagerly anticipate the announcement of the young ladies who will be representing their respective countries. We present to you Costa Rica's beauty ambassador for 2013.

She is 21-year-old Andrea Rojas. Andrea is 5' 5" tall, measures in at 34-24-36, and has hazel eyes and light brown hair. She is currently studying industrial engineering, and in her spare time, enjoys basketball (and a variety of sports), reading, and spending time with friends and family.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/10/13 10:23 AM

8th Edition of the Belize International Film Festival
The 8th edition of the Belize International Film Festival (BIFF) is finally here. BIFF will take place from Thursday, July 11th to Monday, June 15th with screenings across the country and main events in San Pedro Town, San Ignacio Town and Belize City. The five days will be filled with film screenings, workshops and seminars for persons in the filming industry, and of course glamorous parties and food galore. The primary goal of the BIFF is to provide a space for the exhibition of films from Belize and the neighboring regions of the Caribbean, Central America and Southern Mexico, so that these audiences can see their images onscreen and be motivated to create more.

DJ Zog set for the International Costa Maya Festival®
Another exciting headliner set to bring the entertainment on stage at the International Costa Maya Festival® is DJ Zog. He is no stranger to the island, having brought the best of his beats to La Isla Bonita just this past Easter at the Holiday Hotel. Fans were so enamored of his musical styling that he will be back to bring the party to the island! DJ Zog has been on air on Miami's Party Station, the legendary Power 96, since you were a baby. His distinct style of blending Hip Hop, House, Old School, Reggae and Rock has revolutionized the music trend in South Florida with his mixes weekdays at 5pm. He is quickly becoming one of the most sought after DJ's with his high energy style, charismatic personality, and witty interaction with the crowd. He currently holds residencies at Club 50 in Miami, Blue Martini in West Palm Beach, The W Hotel in New York, Passion Nightclub, and Bongos at the Hard Rock Hotel in Hollwood, Fl. When DJ Zog is in the mix, you know it's a party! He will be onstage on Friday August 2nd.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/16/13 11:14 AM

Ariadna Judith Orellana Melendez is the latest contestant announced for the Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant®. Ariadna proudly represents Nicaragua, and seeks to win the title currently being held by Panama's Karen Jordan. She is a 23-year-old working in Marketing and Public Relations. Ariadna is 5' 5", brunette with brown eyes, and measures 34-25-38. She enjoys cooking and traveling.

Ariadna will be joining Destinee Arnold (Belize), Andrea Rojas (Costa Rica), Monica Elwing Gough (Honduras), and Cleirys Velasquez (Panama) on stage, Thursday August 1st. Who will be 2013's Reina de la Costa Maya? Be sure to get your tickets and be there in person to find out! 3-day Season Passes are available at $60 for children and $140 for adults.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/16/13 11:16 AM

Costa Maya® schedule:

Thursday, August 1st - Pageant Night
(Children - $20.00, Adult - $50.00)
Miss Costa Maya International Pageant 2013
Entertainment by: The Belize Dance Company, Ballet Folklorico de Quintana Roo and After Party with Rompe Raja

Friday, August 2nd - Island Party Night
(Children - $30.00, Adult - $50.00)
The Dances of Central America - Cultural Presentation, Grupo Crash - El Salvador, Paradise Reggae Band - Guatemala and Dj ZOG - Miami

Saturday, August 3rd - International Night
(Children - $30.00, Adult - $100.00)
Grupo Crash - Street Dance, Yan Somoza - International Comedian, Tanya Carter - Belizean Singer and LOS YONICS - International Band

Sunday, August 3rd
Day - Love FM Island Kayak Challenge at the Central Park. In the evening, festival grounds will be open for the public to enjoy the mechanical games.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/18/13 11:17 AM

Representing Mexico is Artemisa Rivera Monta��s. Artemisa is a stunning 22-year-old who stands at 5'7", and she hails from Zacatecas. She was the NuestraBelleza Zacatecas representative in 2012 who is gunning for the title of Reina de La Costa Maya®.

Artemisa will be joining Destinee Arnold (Belize), Andrea Rojas (Costa Rica), Monica Elwing Gough (Honduras), AriadnaMelendez (Nicaragua)and Cleirys Velasquez (Panama)on stage, Thursday August 1st. Who will be 2013's Reina de la Costa Maya? Be sure to get your tickets and be there in person to find out! Three-day Season Passes are available at $60 for children and $140 for adults.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/19/13 10:38 AM

Tanya Carter to Perform at International Costa Maya Festival

The International Costa Maya Festival is proud to announce that Belize's Tanya Carter will be performing at this year's festival. The lovely talented Tanya is set to perform on Saturday, August 3, 2013. Tanya Carter will be the opening act for international super stars Los Yonics. Be sure to get your tickets and make it this year's International Costa Maya Festival.

About Tanya Carter:

Coming from a musical family, where her great-grandmother, grand-mother, mother and father were involved with music in some way, Tanya's love for music came almost naturally. At the tender age of four, Tanya joined the Grace Primary School Choir as the youngest choir member.

The songstress went on to the Edward P. High School where she joined the choir and was introduced to classic and operatic singing. Despite, these influences Tanya was determined that she would become a Reggae singer.

At 18 she recorded and released her first song 'I Wanna Get to Know You Better', which was a Dancehall/Reggae fusion and became a hit. Tanya ran into many bumps along her career journey having to deal with a male dominated industry and having to be a tough woman and survive. She was determined to make it through.

After just a year into her career she decided she wanted to assist in the production of her own songs. Tanya became involved in the whole music-making process in order to ensure that what she wanted to express was coming out through her music.

Opening for international acts at home and abroad became a regular for the Belizean national, who has opened for Etana, Lexxus, Luciano, Morgan Heritage, Shyne and Omarion and has headlined Belizean Concerts in Utah, New York, and California. Tanya also found the time to showcase her versatility elsewhere, guest starring in Belize's popular local series "No Matta Wat" and stunned audiences with her acting prowess. She was then invited back and given a permanent role.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more photos in the Ambergris Today

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/20/13 09:50 AM

Costa Maya Festival Announces Miss El Salvador Contestant

Lovely Fatima Yolanda Mauricio Mangandi has been confirmed to represent her country as Miss El Salvador Costa Maya at the Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant that will be taking place at the International Costa Maya Festival in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.

Twenty-one year old Fatima Mangandi has been Miss Teenager 2007 and 2010 and Miss Tourism International 2011 and represented her country at the Miss Tourism Queen International Pageant in Xi'am China in 2011.

Fatima stands 5' 7" tall, is a communications student at La Universidad Jose Matias Delgado and has dark brown eyes and black hair. She enjoys enjoys swimming and is fluent in both English and spanish. Miss El Salvador now joins Destinee Arnold - Belize, Andrea Rojas - Costa Rica, Monica Elwing Gough - Honduras, Cleirys Vel�squez - Panama, Ariadna Melendez - Nicaragua and Artemisa Martinez - Mexico. All other Mundo Maya countries and Central American region have confirmed their participation at the pageant and the two remaining contestants will be announced shortly.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/23/13 11:11 AM
Great article on the Festival here:
http://mybeautifulbelize.com/international-costa-maya-festival-unity-beauty-and-entertainment/
Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/24/13 11:07 AM

The Lovely, the Elegant�

She was crowned the Queen of the Jewel Miss Belize 2012 - after competing against 8 other contestants - and now Destiny Arnold is the Belize delegate for the upcoming Costa Maya International Pageant. The beauty queen arrived at the PGIA this afternoon - and the media was there to greet her and find out what's her strategy going into this pageant. She explained -

Destinee Arnold - Miss Belize
"Well I'm here to represent Belize in Miss Costa Maya."

Reporter
"Tell us about the anticipations for the competition that's coming up in the next two weeks."

Destinee Arnold
"Well I anticipate a memorable experience of course and I am hoping to bring the crown home and keep it on home ground."

Monica Bodden
"Tell us about the preparations for this pageant."

Destinee Arnold
"Well I have been studying Spanish, studying on the Mayan Culture and studying my speech as I was on the plane I was practicing it five times and if I got it wrong the third time and if I said it wrong I would start all over again and recite the speech again. I'm just really trying to make sure I know all my facts about the Maya and be ready for this competition because I do plan to win."

Reporter
"There's about 6 or 7 other delegates that you'll be competing against. Do you know your competition? Their strengths, their weaknesses and what do you feel is going to set you apart from them?"

Destinee Arnold
"I did look at the winners who were announced but as always I like to focus on myself and to make sure that I'm bringing my A-Game, all the rest doesn't matter as long as I give my all on that stage then I'm not worried about anyone else."

Reporter
"Tell us what all you plan to do during your time here and preparing for the pageant because I know there are several persons doing your dress, your costume etc."

Destinee Arnold
"Yes, Gabrielle Garcia is doing my costume and Doris Hendircks is doing my evening gown so I'm very excited to see what they come up with. I'm actually going to be doing fittings with them this week before I leave for San Pedro and other than the preparation for the pageant - I am working on a personal charity project called 'Project Destinee' and I plan to put students from Roaring Creek village through school."

The international Costa Maya Festival 2013 will be held august first to fourth�

Channel 7

Costa Maya Festival presents Miss Guatemala

We introduce to you the final contestant for this year's Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant®: Miss Guatemala. The lovely Andrea Alejandra Morales Teo is 20 years old, 5' 9" tall, and was Miss Guatemala 2011 when she represented her state of Chimaltenango, Guatemala. Andrea also represented her country proudly at the Miss Continente International Pageant held in Guayaquil, Ecuador a year later, in September 2012. The brown-eyed brunette is eager to represent her country once more at the Reina de la Costa Maya® pageant being held on August 1st.

Andrea is the last to join the cast of beauties vying for the title of Reina de la Costa Maya® 2013. She will be on stage with Destinee Arnold (Belize), Andrea Rojas (Costa Rica), Fatima Magandi (El Salvador), Monica Elwing Gough (Honduras), Artemisa Monta��s (Mexico), Ariadna Melendez (Nicaragua) and Cleirys Velasquez (Panama) on Thursday August 1st.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/26/13 11:33 AM

Photos: Reina de La Costa Maya Contestants Arrive
The delegates for the Reina de la Costa Maya pageant arrive on Thursday, July 25th. Who is your pick for the win this year?

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/27/13 11:18 AM

Reina de La Costa Maya® delegates are here!

Ambergris Caye is gearing up for the biggest international festival in Belize, The International Costa Maya Festival®. The events kick off on Thursday, August 1st, and with the festival getting closer, the delegates competing in the International Reina de La Costa Maya® pageant have arrived in the country. The San Pedro Sun met up with the beauties at the Maya Island Air terminal in San Pedro Town and spoke to the delegates as they arrived.

Belize Destinee Arnold-2Destinee Arnold - Miss Belize
Q – How do you feel to be Belize's Delegate?
A – I am honored to be this country's delegate. I wouldn't want to be any other country's delegate.
Q – What are you looking forward to as part of the La Riena de La Costa Maya Pageant?
A - I am looking forward to meeting all the girls; I am looking forward in getting to know them and of course competing. I want to bring the crown home.
Q - What are some of the strengths that you bring along with you?
A - I just bring confidence and I am very down to earth. I just bring myself.
Q - Any personal message to the people of San Pedro Town and Belize?
A - I just want to say hello to everyone and thank you for having me on your island. I am really honored to represent Belize and a big thank you to my sponsors and company, Crown of the Jewel. It has been an honor and beautiful journey and hopefully it's going to have a happy ending.

Fido's Sashing Ceremony-5Andrea Rojas- Miss Costa Rica
Q – How do you feel to be Costa Rica's Delegate?
A - I am so proud to be representing my beautiful country Costa Rica! The land of Pura Vida!
Q – What are you looking forward to as part of the La Reina de La Costa Maya Pageant?
A - I hope to learn a lot of things, and know more about the Belize culture. I want to enrich my knowledge and try to be better as a woman and as a person.
A - I think I am a really kind, friendly person. It is really easy for me to talk to people and get to know new people. I believe this goes a long way in promoting our cultures/countries wherever we go. Apart from being a beauty queen - we are in a unique position to promote our countries and cultures, and applying that through friendly interactions is a strength I have.
A - Thank you so much. I am so thankful to be here, it seems like such a beautiful place and I can't wait to get to know more about it. I invite everyone to come out and enjoy the festivities.

Fido's Sashing Ceremony-6Fatima Yolanda Mauricio Magandi – Miss El Salvador
Q – How do you feel to be El Salvador's Delegate?
A - I am so proud to be representing my beloved country. I am proud of my people, my country and my Maya culture.
Q – What are you looking forward to as part of the La Reina de La Costa Maya Pageant?
A - I have many expectations, and of course, everyone who is here wants to win the crown. But beside that, I simply hope to enjoy this experience. I want to both enjoy and win.
A - Anyone can have physical beauty or intellectual beauty, but I think it is important to apply intelligence and a good attitude/ personality, as that surpasses the physical.
A - Isla Bonita thank you so much for the warm welcome and the affection that has made us feel so at home. It has helped, not just me, but all the girls, by giving us confidence and making us open to enjoying this marvelous experience.

Guatemala Andrea Teo-1Alejandra Moralez - Miss Guatemala
Q – How do you feel to be Guatemala's Delegate?
A - Its incredible and it's a beautiful opportunity. I have been to Belize before and I just love this country. When I was asked to represent my country, Guatemala, it was an honor to return to Belize.
A - I know I will have a good time, especially meeting the wonderful people – I know the warmth of the Belizean people. I have heard about the pageant before and I am sure I will have a good experience while in Belize.
A - Well, I am a very outgoing person and I love to meet new people. I can easily relate. Plus, I love to sing and model, so I think those will be my strengths.
A - To the people of San Pedro Town I want to say that I am happy to be here. I expect to always take you in my heart. To my fellow Guatemalan living here, we are coming with everything we have.

Fido's Sashing Ceremony-8 Monica Alexis Elwing Gough – Miss Honduras
Q – How do you feel to be Honduras' Delegate?
A – I feel really proud and I am going to do my best. I am going to show the world that Honduras and especially the Costa Maya and Mesoamerica countries have great beauty too. I really feel happy to be here�so far, so good.
A – I hope everyone can come and support, not just me, but all of the other contestants. I am really looking to have fun and I want everyone to really enjoy the pageant.
A – It's going to be a real big surprise. Everyone will have to come on over and attend the pageant to see what we have in store for them!
A – I am very happy to be here and so I hope everything comes out great. I am personally inviting everyone to come out to the event on Thursday and have fun. We will be waiting to see you! All� los espero!

Fido's Sashing Ceremony-10 Ariadna Judith Orellana Melendez- Miss Nicaragua
Q – How do you feel to be Nicaragua's Delegate?
A - I feel great; I feel honored. I want to spend a really good time here in Belize, and hopefully take the crown back home.
A - Well, I am just going to be myself and try to enjoy this experience. I look forward to becoming friends with the other girls. I am not looking them at competition, I see them as new friends.
A - I bring the salsa, the fire of Nicaraguan women; that's what I bring to the pageant!
A - I am thankful for the invitation to be here. I want to learn more about Belize, I can't wait to explore! Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

Fido's Sashing Ceremony-11Cleirys Velasquez – Miss Panama
Q – How do you feel to be Panama's Delegate?
A - I am thrilled and excited to be representing my beloved Panama. I am so proud to have been chosen to represent my country.
A - I am excited to be able to bring our cultures together. The pageant takes us back to our roots: the Maya culture. I think it is a way to bring our history to the forefront, and I am looking forward to seeing how we can bring this on stage.
A - I think that each of us has a special attribute that makes us unique in this competition. I think mine is charisma and positive attitude.
A - Everyone is welcome to the festival, I am inviting all to come and see us on Thursday, August 1st. Thank you so much for the warm welcome, we appreciate it ever so much.

During the course of the week, the delegates will be engaged in several activities. Their first official public appearance was at Fido's annual "Meet the beauties" event on the evening of Thursday, July 25th. The next public affair is the always-elegant and delightful Noche Tropical held at Ramon's Village Resort on Saturday night. There, the delegates will get to enjoy a typical island beach party and will be officially presented to the public in attendance. They are also expected to enjoy some tours around the country where they get know and appreciate the islands, the sea, the ruins, lush rainforest and more importantly the culture.

The International La Reina de La Costa Maya Pageant is scheduled for Thursday August 1st at the Old Football Field starting at 7PM. The field has been undergoing major renovations, and it seems all systems are working overtime to ensure the grounds are ready in time for the festival.
We wish all the delegates the best of luck.

San Pedro Sun

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/28/13 12:36 PM
Video of the ladies.... Mas mas mas...:)

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 07/31/13 11:05 AM

Delegates of the Costa Maya Pageant busy on the island

Activities relating to the International Costa Maya Festival are fully underway. On Saturday July 27th, Ramon's Village Resort, the official resort of the delegates Costa Maya Pageant, hosted the annual Noche Tropical on the beach. All eight delegates of the International La Reina de La Costa Maya Pageant were present and entertained the audience. On Monday July 29th, they were back in the spotlight at the SAGA Humane Society benefit function hosted at Fido's.

At the first event, the audience got to see a glimpse of what to expect ahead of the pageant which is schedule for Thursday August 1st. Throughout the course of the night the eight beauty ambassadors took to the stage and gave the audience a taste of their country. The participants got to introduce themselves as well as model in their country's costume and several attires courtesy of Ramon's Village and Moondancer boutiques. During the event, entertainment was provided by Maryposa, who also invited the delegates on stage to learn a few moves.

Ramon's Village Hosts Costa Maya Noche Tropical

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 08/01/13 11:21 AM

Costa Maya Delegates Celebrate Belize

A trip to Ambergris Caye is not a successful one without visiting the marine life that has made it the number one island in the world. This is why the Costa Maya Committee delights in arranging for the eight beauty ambassadors who compete for the prestigious Miss Costa Maya International crown to enjoy some fun in the sun, sea and sand.

On Friday, July 26, the Costa Maya Pageant delegates were treated to some underwater adventure courtesy of Discovery Expeditions that took them on the Sea Trek adventure which had them walking at the bottom of the sea and exploring the coral reefs at the Mexico Rocks Reserve.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS more AWESOME photos in the Ambergris Today

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 08/02/13 09:50 AM

Full 3:31 video of Costa Maya 2013 Pageant

Reina de la Costa Maya® 2013 is Destinee Arnold

Miss Belize is the 2013 International La Riena de La Costa Maya!! Destinee Arnold took the crown in the 22nd edition of the International Costa Maya Festival®. With her grace, poise and beauty, Destinee managed to capture the heart of the audience as well as that of the panel of judges..

Miss Belize displayed a costume depicting the hard working Maya women. It included a blue outfit with jewelry and a headpiece adorned with pottery, symbolizing the contribution women made to the artifacts found in ruins across the Mundo Maya Region. Miss Costa Rica selected the queen of the indigenous people of Naorin. Her gold and orange outfit symbolized protection. Miss El Salvador was dressed as the Princess of the Sun and showcased a bright orange outfit with beautiful feathers symbolizing woman power. Miss Mexico was dressed as a Maya Princess who fell in love with a Spanish warrior, giving birth to the first Mestizo. Her three piece outfit symbolized the power of the union of two groups of people. Equally beautiful as well as colorful was the costume worn by Miss Nicaragua which depicted the traditional and indigenous, marginalized Tenosique people. It depicted three elaborately adorned faces that symbolize their humility and struggle. Miss Panama's captivating costume depicted El Diablo Sucio and consisted of a headpiece. The headpiece had two horns symbolizing the devil. The costume displayed the war between humanity and the devil struggling for the soul of man. Miss Honduras modeled a full red costume that represented life and blood: the life of the Maya and the blood shed to protect their people.

Following the display of extravagant and absolutely breathtaking cultural costumes, the lovely ladies took a break to get prepared for the much anticipated swimsuit competition. Performances from the Ballet Folklorico de Quintana Roo and the Belize Dance Company kept the audience entertained, but the real show came when the girls once more came on stage in their gorgeous shimmering blue swimwear. They danced to a medley of songs, flirtatiously posing for the audience, and working through a choreographed segment that took much practice and talent.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see LOTS MORE AWESOME photos in the San Pedro Sun

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 08/03/13 10:40 AM

Costa Maya Crown Stays in Belize

As we reported yesterday, the International Costa Maya Festival kicked off last night with the La Reina De La Costa Maya Pageant. The event featured beauties from all over Central America vying for the prestigious title, but the good news today is that the crown stayed home. Destinee Arnold, the representative for Belize, gave it her all and at the end, it was her name that resonated for the title. Love News spoke with Arnold today and she shared her excitement.

DESTINEE ARNOLD

"I was just honored and happy that I finally made Belize proud. I am honored that it was me and I know that I had a civic duty to make Belize proud and put Belize back on the map. At first, I had the back stage nervousness but once I hit the stage, I was ready to work the stage. To prepare for the pageant, I tried to practice Spanish because I knew it was a bilingual pageant and I just made sure that I studied the Mayan culture and knew it back, front and side to side; I worked out a lot and made sure my body was right. My relationship with the other girls was great despite the language barrier; we didn't let that prevent us from having a relationship. My roommate was from Mexico, she barely spoke English and that was a great experience coming up with hand gestures to make sure that we could communicate and things of that sort and I think I left the competition with good relationships. I am looking forward to carrying the title and making sure that I represent the Mayan culture with all that I have and also to giving back to the community."

Second Runner-up for the Pageant was Cleiry Velasquez from Panama and first Runner up was Ariadna Judith Orellana from Nicaragua. The pageant included a cultural costume presentation, swimsuit presentation, evening gown presentation and a question and answer segment.

LOVEFM

Destinee Arnold Honors Belize with Win at Costa Maya Pageant

Reina de la Costa Maya� And the Winner is Miss Belize!

One of the highlights of the annual International Costa Maya Festival in la Isla Bonita is the pageant which seeks to promote the Maya culture. Central American and Mexican delegates competed for the coveted title based on cultural presentation, swimwear and evening gown.� On Thursday night, it went down to the wire as the bevy of beauties strutted on the stage and then took on questions to test their intellectual skills. In the end, only one would take the crown. Duane Moody looks at the winners in the pageant.

[Announcement of winner�]

Destinee Arnold, Winner, Reina De La Costa Maya 2013

"Belize, I'm just so excited that I've made you proud and I hope that this instilled a little bit of hope in young girls that you can do anything that you put your mind to. Thank you for my team and all the people that I mentioned during the interview. I couldn't have done it without you. I am blessed to have you. Thank you."

Duane Moody, Reporting

Miss Belize is the new Reina de la Costa Maya 2013. Twenty-year old Destinee Arnold captured the title and brought the crown back to the jewel on Thursday night after some three hours of competition on poise, presence and portrayal of the proud Mayan culture. This is the third time that Belize has won the title; first with Leilah Pandy in 2004, Maria Jeffrey, six years ago in 2007 and now Destinee Arnold in 2013.

Marleni Cuellar

Destinee Arnold

"We've been competing for quite a while and we hadn't won the title in six years actually. Was that something you kinda had with you throughout the competition; thinking it is time for us to bring it back home?"

Destinee Arnold

"That was definitely my mindset. I am the first Miss Belize to go up for Costa Maya since Maria Jeffrey, so that was a heavy weight on my shoulders and something I really had to uphold and I had to become my country and make sure I represented them well and bring that crown home."

Starting slightly off schedule, the pageant commenced just after eight-thirty p.m. with only seven delegates-as Guatemala's delegate had to return home due to an emergency. The delegates took to the stage boasting their effervescent personalities in the cultural costume segment.

�.there was a boost of energy as the swimwear segment featured the delegates as they swayed and strutted across the stage to showcase their physique.

And then it was the evening wear. A kaleidoscope of colors as the delegates sashayed their way across the stage. They showed poise and elegance before the anticipated question and answer segment.

But in the end, after several hours of competition, Destinee won the hearts of the judges and the title as Reina de la Costa Maya.

In a sit down interview this morning on Open Your Eyes, Destinee spoke of striking that balance of keeping her identity as a Belizean while still competing in the international level.

Destinee Arnold

"I am Belize. What more can I do, but be Belize. I think that there is not much of a difference. When you go to an international competition, you become your country and you represent it and you show the world the beauty of your country and that is just the ultimate goal and I think I've accomplished that."

Marleni Cuellar

"So Destinee, tell me, how is your Spanish?"

Destinee Arnold

"Oh, my Spanish is not good. I try. I took three years of it in high school, but since I didn't have anyone that I could speak it with at home, I eventually lost it. So when things are said, I could pick up on certain words. But when it comes to responding, I'm like a deer in a headlight�I have to conjugate this verb, this way. But the beauty of this pageant is that since we have different tongues, instead of letting it make us divert, I made sure I helped it unite us. I'll teach you some English, if you teach me some Spanish. My roommate was Miss Mexico and she spoke very little English, so we had like some hand gestures going on. We were playing charades in our room all the time and the one I learned was 'lista.' "Lista?" Ready? Like I told the judges in my interview, never tell me that I can’t do something because I'm gonna make sure that I prove you wrong. And not just to prove you wrong, but for personal satisfaction knowing that I overcame an obstacle. And I think that instead of letting something set you back, you've got to think positively and keep on giving it your all and make the best of it."

Destinee also had words of advice for those who aspire to follow in her footsteps.

Destinee Arnold

"It can be a lot of pressure, a lot of stress. You definitely have to be a strong-minded person; not letting people's comments bring you down because there is a lot more to the crown than the glitz and the glam. You are truly an ambassador for whatever region, state or country that you are representing. So girls don't just think that it is about the makeup and the hair and the pretty dresses; there is a lot more to it."

Taking second place in the competition was Nicaragua while Panama placed third. Duane Moody for News Five.

Channel 5

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 08/04/13 10:57 AM

Destinee's Story

Belizean Destinee Arnold was crowned Reina De La Costa Maya in San Pedro. It's a major win for Belize in the regional beauty pageant. Today she sat down with our colleague Kainie Manuel for an interview to explain her joy at winning on home turf:

Channel 7

DJ Zog rocks the second night of the Costa Maya International Festival
The long anticipated Costa Maya International Festival commenced on Thursday, August 1st with the Miss Costa Maya Pageant. Belize's Destinee Arnold brought the crown back home, and set the pace for the second night, in which DJ Zog brought the party to Costa Maya! Once the formalities were over, the party truly started. The island party night began with the traditional flag dance. After the traditional flag dance by the Ballet Folklorico de Quintana Roo, the dancers presented typical cultural dances for all the Central American countries. Each dance was unique to its region such as the Cumbia is to Panama and Punta is to Belize. The dances came alive as the dancers gracefully moved around the stage in elaborate and colorful costumes. The comedic show of Yan Somosa from El Salvador continued. Yan had the entire crowd laughing with his hilarious imitation and his funny antics. Yan's presentation of PSY's Gangnam Style" had the crowd laughing hysterically. Up next came the energetic and upbeat Grupo Crash from El Salvador. Their mix of cultural and modern dances had the crowd tapping its toes; they were certainly a show stopper. Each dance presentation contained risky acrobatic tricks that the dancers delivered flawlessly. The crowd's applause for the dance group was long and loud. Following their act was the Guatemalan Paradise Reggae Band. Their cool melodious vibes had the crowd moving to the Caribbean rhythm, and under the starry night sky, it was a great day to be on a Caribbean island enjoying groovy music.

Los Yonics gets a warm welcome from islanders of Ambergris Caye
The Tropic Air Terminal in San Pedro Town was packed by islanders who came out to welcome the well-known Mexican band, Los Yonics. The band, which has over 37 years of musical success in Mexico and Latin American countries will be for the first time in Belize performing at the International Costa Maya Festival. The group arrived shortly after midday on board a Tropic Air flight from Corozal Town. "Beinvenidos a la Isla de San Pedro (Welcome to the island of San Pedro)," shouted their many fans, who had come out to welcome the musical group. Speaking at a press conference shortly after touching down on Ambergris Caye soil, the band members shared their enthusiasm for being in Belize. "First of all I want to say thank for the very warm welcome. I am extremely happy to be on Belizean soil for the first time in my musical career. The entire group is happy to be in this beautiful place. We come with all the energy in the world, to be able to perform as much songs as possible," said lead vocalist Jose Manuel Zamacona.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 08/06/13 11:31 AM

Costa Maya Festival Rocks San Pedro Weekend
The San Pedro International Costa Maya Festival did it once again for San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and Belize; it managed to jam-pack the island with visitors from around the nation and around the world. Its popularity has become synonymous with a party weekend at the island for many Belizeans and a full line up of fantastic performances at the festival grounds. The San Pedro International Costa Maya Festival kicked off of August 1, 2013, with the Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant in which Miss Belize Destinee Arnold brought the crown back home after six years. The pageant always brings much hype and attention to the festival with the participation of eight gorgeous beauty contestants from around the Latin American region. The second night of the festivities saw the participation of international performers that included the Ballet Folklorico de Quintan Roo. that conducted the traditional flag dance, the always energetic dance presentations by Grupo Crash with their mix of cultural and modern dances and comedic show of Juan Manuel, both from our neighboring El Salvador.

Los Yonics brings out a large crowd to Costa Maya Festival
The island was packed on Saturday August 3rd as the International Costa Maya Festival continued. The highlight of course was the international concert by Mexican artists Jose Manuel Zamacona Y Los Yonics. Sharing the stage for the night was Belize's Tanya Carter and Grupo Crash from El Salvador. Visitors began invading the festival grounds early and they enjoyed the entertainment before the main performance. Tanya Carter's smooth vocals and fun performance was well recieved and Grupo Crash brought street dance alive on stage. The much anticipated concert attracted a large crowd from all over the country who wanted to see Los Yonics perform live for the first time in Belize. The band members were greeted on the festival grounds by the Minister of Tourism and Culture Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. and Mayor of San Pedro Town Daniel Guerrero. Following a short chat with the Mayor Guerrero and Minister Heredia, the group took their spot on stage entertaining their audience with some of their best music.

Posted By: Marty Re: International Costa Maya Festival 2013 - 08/07/13 11:19 AM

Costa Maya Festival 2013 on Instagram
We asked our Ambergris Today's Instagrammers to share their Costa Maya weekend in San Pedro on Instagram by hash tagging their images with #costamayafestival so that we can show how much fun everybody was having during all the activities in and around the festival. Here are a few that caught our attention and that show how much fun everybody had during Costa Maya Festival weekend.

Costa Maya Festival Rocks San Pedro Weekend
The San Pedro International Costa Maya Festival did it once again for San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and Belize; it managed to jam-pack the island with visitors from around the nation and around the world. Its popularity has become synonymous with a party weekend at the island for many Belizeans and a full line up of fantastic performances at the festival grounds. The San Pedro International Costa Maya Festival kicked off of August 1, 2013, with the Reina de la Costa Maya Pageant in which Miss Belize Destinee Arnold brought the crown back home after six years. The pageant always brings much hype and attention to the festival with the participation of eight gorgeous beauty contestants from around the Latin American region.

Great set of pics here:
http://www.belizeadventure.ca/reina-de-la-costa-maya-2013/

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board