AmbergrisCaye.com Home
And while the kids waved flags today, tomorrow morning the adults will be waving their rags in the J'ouvert. It's an annual celebration of debauchery, the carnival without custumes, where huge crowds come out and - under the cover of dawn's early light, they cover themselves in mud and create chaos in the streets. But, where does all the mud come from? As we found out, it's slow cooked by an expert. We went to Ms. Marsha's mud factory:..

Jules Vasquez reporting
We've all seen the J'ouvert - a orgy of mess mud and madness in the street that plays out in the pre-dawn of carnival day. But where does all that colored mud come from? Well it starts here with mounds of clay brought in by the trucks loads to Marsha Smith's yard on Dolphin Street. From there she mixes the clay with water and puts it in drums and open fires to let it boil down. This caldrum-style cooking could lasts for hours, even days.

Marsha Smith
"We have to boil it for sometimes 48 hours. All through this rainy season we take a lick because we hae to boil with wet wood."

After it boils down Marsha and her helpers have to strain it and add color.

Marsha Smith
"We have to strain it from one pan to another pan. It depends how it feels when we finish straining it. If its not properly feels well we strained it again until we get most of the sand out of it. After that we start doing our mixture with different colors."

After that they have to test it for feel and consistency. From there it is poured into small plastic bottles which will go into the streets tomorrow morning. The culmination of week's intensive work.

Marsha Smith
"Sometimes it takes more than two weeks. For the amount of mud that we have to take out, I think I am doing good because I do not sleep. The crowd comes out more every year, so we have to take out more mud."

And Marsha should have enough mud and enough energy to participate in the J'ouvert herself.

Marsha Smith
"I am up and jumping - going."

Channel 7

Posted By: Marty Re: Inside Ms. Marsha's Mud Factory - 09/15/13 10:59 AM

Belize J'ouvert 2013

Before the crack of dawn, thousands converged at the San Cas Plaza for the Jouvert 2013�. It is a prelude of what was to come later in the day for the Carnival Road March and by all accounts, the annual event has tripled in numbers. Covered in clay, mud and even chocolate the crowd swelled; they danced and wined behind the big trucks as they took the almost two miles stretch from San Cas Plaza to end at the junction of Newtown Barracks and Wilson Street. The fete brought out entire families to the pre-carnival bram. News Five was there to capture the spirit and excitement of the festivity.

This years Belize J'ouvert got bigger and better with 5 music trucks followed by many J'ouvert revelers dancing, gyrating and chipping away to sweet Soca songs.

Please excuse us for the shaking of the camera as we took you into the belly of the beast to show you the fun you many have missed in this year's J'ouvert in Belize.

Jouver't to Carnival Was turned Up to The Max

In our top segment we told you about some of the chaos that unfolded in the periphery of the carnival revelry. But, when you consider how many people were out from three in the morning until six in the evening, and how much alcohol was in circulation right after payday - it's fortunate that worse didn't happen. So, there's still a lot to celebrate - and the revelers turned it up to the max on Saturday. 7news was there from the jouver't at dawn to the carnival in the afternoon - and here are the highlights:..

Daniel Ortiz, reporting
As you heard, the revelers from the J'ouvert Splash Down converged in front of the San Cas Plaza, for the continuation of the party which started 7 hours earlier.

They formed a massive throng - a swarm of humanity, which shows how much Carnival spirit there is in the city. And the numbers just kept increasing, every time they passed our cameras, thousands of people, a mash up of bodies, mud, music, dancing and the chaos called the carnival mood.

But because there was a slight confusion in the start time, the J'ouvert crowd started to splinter off into 3 smaller mobs, each impressive to see, and representative of a larger whole.

Reveler #1
"The J'ouvert was much bigger than what I expected. It was very big and hype and it bring that carnival spirit. I came to take a picture, so I don't mind the mud."

Reveler #2
This is the first time in the J'ouvert. We are from Nicaragua."

Reveler #3
"I am doing this because my brother dies last year and so I am having fun for him."

Daniel Ortiz
"How long have you been out here?"

Reveler #4
"From 3 this morning."

Reveler #5
"We are having a wonderful time. It's fantastic."

Daniel Ortiz
"Where are you from?"

Reveler #5
"Austrailia"

Daniel Ortiz
"Is there anything like this in your country?"

Reveler #5
"We have nothing like this in my country. Nothing at all. It's unbelievable."

From there, everyone moved to the end point, the new location in front of the Mexican Institute, where they jumped into the sea to wash off the mud.

Reveler #6
"I am enjoying out here. Its J'ouvert time right now."

Daniel Ortiz
"How was the energy like for you?"

Reveler #6
"It's real nice."

A few hours later, the different carnival bands started set up on Caesar Ridge Road, and our broadcast crew stopped by to see if they were indeed ready for the road.

Reporter
"Soca Warriors, how are you feeling today?"

Soca Warriors Band
"We feel hype up"

Reporter
"What will you guys do different to win the road march this year?"

Soca Warriors Band
"We "gwine on bad" we just come out to enjoy ourselves."

Reporter
"Why do you think you will win the road march?"

Evolution Mass Band
"This is our first year and we are coming out hard and we will try to be the best of all."

Reporter
"Are you guys ready for the road?"

Mother Nature Band
"Yes we are ready long time. We were born ready."

Reporter
"I must make the conclusion that Mother Nature will win this road march."

Mother Nature Band
"Yes, because we are winners."

Reporter
"Mrs. Marine Welcome, how are you doing?"

Marine Welcome, Jump Street Posse
"Beautiful and I am feeling energetic and good."

Reporter
"What is your main theme for the carnival this year?"

Marine Welcome, Jump Street Posse
"I am portraying Belizean legacy. It's all about Belize. Belize is our special gem."

When everyone was ready and lined up, the carnival moved off like a tremendous machine of so many moving parts, rolling down Central American Boulevard in a blur of brilliant colours and movement. And the public got to see and judge what had been in the works for months.

The judges also got to analyze the costumes for their artistry, design and road worthiness.

And in the end, the winner of the juniors competition was Pickstock Carnival Band. The second place was Jump Street Posse, which was closely followed by Sunshine Masqueraders, who came in third.

In the Seniors Category, Mother Nature's Creation was chosen as the winners, while Belizean Jewel placed second, defeating the Soca Warriors who came in third.

Channel 7

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board