AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty History of Labour Day in Belize - 05/01/20 06:19 PM

TODAY, MAY 1ST, WE CELEBRATE LABOR DAY.

THIS IS A DAY, WE HONOR ALL THOSE, WHO LABOR FOR THEMSELVES or FOR THE NATION. - THIS INCLUDES MEN AND WOMEN.

Let us find out the truth about Laborers and Labor Day in Belize.

In the STORY of Belize, there have been tens of thousands of Belizeans, who have served as laborers, in so many fields in the building of the Belizean Nation.

MEN - Log Cutters, Chicleros, Fishermen, Farmers, Teachers, Policemen, Soldiers, Stevedors, Wood Cutters, Carpenters, Furniture makers, Mechanics, Taxi Men, Black Smiths, Tin Smiths, Cane cutters, Fruit reapers, Cattle men etc. etc.

WOMEN - Mothers, Teachers, Seamstresses, Cooks, House Keepers, Farmers, Fishers, Gardeners, Teachers, Nurses, Police Women, Public Officers, Clerks, etc. etc.

ALL LABORERS.

NOW - - Why do we celebrate Laborers' Day ?

In 1934, a brave Belizean by name TONY SOBERANIS, assisted by other Belizeans, mounted an attack, against the unjust treatment made against OPPRESSED LABORERS of British Honduras.

Tony Soberanis formed a WORKERS BRIGADE, and they began to strongly PROTEST against the DESPOTS and TYRANTS. The Colonial Regime countered by arresting the Leaders of this BRIGADE.

This led to the eventual founding of the People's United Party and its ally, the GENERAL WORKERS UNION, led by such great Union Leaders, like Nicholas Pollard, Henry Middleton, Clifford Betson and others.

SO THE DAY CAME IN 1962, when I, as the youngest Member of the House of Representatives, PRESENTED A MOTION, and seconded by my Colleague, the Honorable Santiago Perdomo, asking that MAY 1ST BE DECLARED, as " LABOR DAY. " This was to CELEBRATE IN BELIZE for the first time, a DAY IN HONOR OF ALL LABORERS.

This Motion was passed UNANIMOUSLY, and so LABOR DAY became official in BELIZE

SO from me to all Belizeans, " A BLESSED LABOR DAY. "

Here is the notice:

Hector Silva

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board