AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/02/03 08:49 PM
In case you haven't heard, water taxi fares between Belize City and San Pedro and also Caye Caulker will increase April 7. Higher cost of gas is reason cited (unleaded gas is now around US$3.80 a gallon)

New fares:

Belize City to/from San Pedro: US$14 one-way, US$25 round trip (same day).

Belize City to/from Caye Caulker: US$9 one-way, US$15 R/T

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Debbie Re: Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/02/03 09:40 PM
Still a good value, regardless of the increase!!!
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/03/03 02:01 PM
If the fuel prices go any higher in San Pedr it would not suprise me if all fuel based services are increased

Fuel in San pedro now costs $3.94 U.S a gallon which means for all those using 2 stroke engines it has broken the $4.00 U.S mark or $8.00 bze a gallon with the addition of the 2 stroke oil needed to use with 2 stroke motors.

Gaz
Posted By: NYgal Re: Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/03/03 03:53 PM
Thanks for sharing those new increases.

There will be no surprises for everyone that reads this board, at least. smile
Posted By: toad Re: Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/03/03 04:15 PM
is sailing an option?
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/03/03 04:47 PM
sailing may be risky, with a reliance on the fickle pevailing winds. A bellows might be a good source of energy for sailing under these conditions.
Posted By: Tiki Re: Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/04/03 04:54 AM
If fares will be $15rt from BC to Caye Caulker, does it make sense that we were charged $10 per person rt to take a water taxi from Banana Beach Hotel to Capricorn restaurant [north of the cut]for dinner? Just wondering.
Posted By: klcman Re: Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/04/03 02:14 PM
supply & demand

economies of scale
Posted By: Marie Re: Water Taxi Fares Increase - 04/04/03 02:39 PM
Hi Tiki! No it doesn't, but that is a rate that has been in place a fairly long time. Certainly at least last year, possibly even two years if I recall correctly, maybe longer. It is a specialized trip. The trip to Caulker is a much bigger boat and carries lots of people, its commercial, so better fares for the length of the trip. We went to Capricorn for my birthday in February, same fee you mentioned. I doubt there is any cheaper fare, but someone here may know. Re the trip to Capricorn, there is much to be said for a night trip skimming across the water with all the stars above. Re the trip to Caulker, there is much to be said about blue skies, blue seas and a fast boat! Ahhhh!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board