AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Kahealani Any Risk for Malaria? - 05/18/03 11:39 PM
Ok, this may be dumb to even ask, but is there any risk of Malaria there? We are coming on wednesday and I recently found out we are epecting our first baby (yeah!). Of course I want to be as safe as possible. I am hoping to get some info from all you experts to ease my mind. I cannot use any of those bug sprays or any medications. Do I have reason to be concerned? What are the best prevention measures I could take? We are very excited and would hate to not come. Help and thanks so much.
Posted By: Short Re: Any Risk for Malaria? - 05/19/03 01:20 AM
As far as I know, no Malaria on the island, when you go inland that may be different - anybody?
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Any Risk for Malaria? - 05/19/03 04:23 AM
Have never had a problem, have been going since '98, been down every six months since then, back and forth to the mainland....
Hope this helps,
Rick
Posted By: BrianH Re: Any Risk for Malaria? - 05/20/03 01:14 AM
After I returned from Belize last summer I got a call to donate blood. They asked about travel and when I mentioned Belize they told me I couldn't donate for 1 year. Apparently there is a malaria risk throughout the country, including the cayes, but excluding Belize City. Anyway, I don't even remember seeing a mosquito when I was there, just a few biting flies at Maruba.
Posted By: KBG Re: Any Risk for Malaria? - 05/20/03 03:50 AM
Go to Belize regular and private blood donor orginization told me that they were more worried about high HIV rate in Belize and minor worry of malaria and therefore Belize travelers were on the NO/NO list for blood donations.
KBG
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board