AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Airfare from Oregon

Posted By: lqdqtrmile

Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 04:09 PM

Hey Marty -- why is it so flipping expensive to fly to Belize from Oregon confused Which airline to do you use??
Posted By: Marty

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 04:11 PM

this year its awful. usually i pay 600-700 round trip from eugene or portland. this year it was about 900 or something. not sure why.

if you can find cheap flights to cancun, then with a bus down to chetumal/corozal and boat/fly from there is the cheapest.

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 04:14 PM

Yea, checked airfare again this morning and it was $800 each, not counting the airport tax, blah, blah, blah
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 05:50 PM

We also live just outside Portland. Because we are bringing our 2 dogs when we move, we are going to drive to Florida and then take the ferry boat if it's running. (We aren't coming until next July.) We are lining up friends and family along the route to avoid hotel costs.
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 05:55 PM

The ferry boat will not run till Nov. 2004 at the earliest -info direct from shipping line.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 06:00 PM

Yeah, I just booked folks from Portland for early Dec for $738 R/T pp on American. Keep checking for sales. If I hear of any from that area, I will post it.

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 06:40 PM

Thanks Barbara, appreciate the help. I would prefer to stay away from American, however, cuz we don't want to go through DFW. The last time we flew American to the Keys we spent 8, yes 8 hours sitting on the tarmac at DFW. Right now, Continental is our choice. Going down March 13, return March 27.

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 07:18 PM

I'll check it. I know the 13 March is already heavily booked (spring break) - that usually drives the prices up. The airlines have also reduced the number of flights so many times you have to overnight in Houston or Dallas one way or the other from the west coast.

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 08:06 PM

Discounted rates for 12, 13, 14 March sold out. on Continental. 26, 27, 28 March sold out on the return. American not much better. Are you flexible on the dates? It'll have to be published airfares. Try Orbitz, Travelocity, FlyCheapol, etc. Sorry! Belize is a "hot spot" now!

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 08:09 PM

we spent several hours on the tarmac once in houston, its awful, but it has never happened again.

i myself wouldn't NOT fly thru dallas just cause it happened once. sure gets ugly when it does happen though! we had 5 hours sitting there. never left the plane...

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 08:17 PM

Yes Barbara, we are flexible on dates. Can't fly around the first of the month due to Al's work schedule. Needs to close the month, etc. We have reservations at the Seven Seas, but are willing to change those if we can get some better airfare. Just picked March for the hell of it, no particular reason.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 08:21 PM

As Peter notes, the Yucatan Express ferry isn't presently scheduled for anytime until (maybe) late in 2004. The Scotia Prince would not operate to Mexico during the summer at all since it does the profitable New England to Nova Scotia ferry route in the summer.

--Lan Sluder

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 08:34 PM

Email me. If you are flexible and can avoid spring break weeks, president's week, easter, etc you can find relatively good fares. Cheaper travelling mid week. Portland & Seattle are always some of the highest rates though...

[email protected]

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/29/03 08:36 PM

Will do -- have to check with hubby on new dates, but will get back to you this weekend. Thanks smile

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 12:07 AM

I went on cheapairlines.com and got a rate of $558 for Continental from Portland with one stop in Houston. Since the ferry won't be running, the psychotic dog is going to have to fly. And driving isn't an option. Our poor vehicle has 150,000 miles on it.

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 01:06 AM

I just checked cheapairlines.com and they are still coming up with $761. How did you manage? and when are you going?

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 02:32 AM

I put next June for departure. Also try Travelocity.
Posted By: KC

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 04:23 AM

Due to current airfares from Portland, it looks like we might venture out this time and do the "fly to Cancun" thing. The savings is really worth it this time, and we will obviously not be toting down our full baggage limit full of stuff for the villa. Seems like the best choice for now.

I know that the subject of getting from Cancun to AC has been discussed before (and I will do a search if you MAKE me! :-) But I know that boats/taxis/etc change schedules, etc. so if someone has current info on the best way to get from Cancun to AC, could you please take pity on me and give me DETAILS. I don't want to head down with outdated info. Luckily, it looks like the flight we can get is an overnight, so arrive in Cancun around noon. Is there still a flight (Premier) from Cancun to Chetumal? How much?

Thanks very very much.

Kathy
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 06:11 AM

I am curious....how much do you save flying to cancun, then going on to Belize from there? What a hassle for you folks.
Posted By: sweets

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 06:17 AM

Kathy, I too am debating to do the Cancun thing. I know from Cancun to Chet by bus is about $30 US, then I know some people in Corozal that have a transportation service and they charge $30 US to take you from Chet to Corozal. Then the 1 way flight from Corozal to San Pedro is $35 US....so thats $95 US... Don't know if the airline is still flying from Cancun to Chet but I have been told it's very expensive...anyone know? I am coming from west coast Canada, I have my ticket to Houston but need to get from Houston to there! I've seen $299 with Taca from Houston to Cancun so far..but nothing much better.
Posted By: KC

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 08:33 AM

Right now I can get to Cancun for $340. less per ticket. When 4 are going, that's a sizeable sum. But if the Cancun route includes a mandatory overnight in Chet. or Corozal, plus transportation to Corozol, well, I'm not sure it's worth it, but I really really really hate paying 840.00 a ticket.

This is really a pickle...

K
Posted By: sweets

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 08:49 AM

Kathy - I guess it depends what time you get into Cancun but I don't think you should have to overnight. What dates are you thinking of and for how long? I see about $515 per person, Portland to Cancun...Maybe just hold on as long as you can for seat sales? There is often internet fares that are pretty good.

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 04:50 PM

the cancun thing is a piece of cake.

i recommend either going or coming back you take a couple days over in Havana
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/30/03 04:59 PM

Are there any special requirements to go to Havana ? You've peaked my curiosity now. Sounds interesting.

Re: Airfare from Oregon - 08/31/03 06:44 AM

nope, when in cancun airport ask anyone at an airline counter for a visa to cuba, you can take aerocaribe or air cubana to havana.

when you land at Jose Marti Airport in habana, ask a taxi guy where a place to stay would be. describe your price range. i have good maps and can tell you the nicer areas of town to stay in if you wonder...

i preferred staying in the places where a family rents out rooms in their homes. some incredibly nice homes do this. and in centro there are some good places to stay also. tho i didn't stay in hotels, there are many nice ones.

every place takes US$ as well as cuban pesos. no problem with visa or mastercard travellers checks, do NOT use american express travellers checks. US bank issued credit cards will NOT work.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board