AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Customs - as in what cha bring?

Posted By: wannaBEthere

Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 01:16 PM

It's like this - I have this “friend” …

Now if this “friend” happened to be taking some school supplies, when it comes to the whole custom thing, should this “friend” declare the stuff, or just wait and see if they go through that bag and then bet her eyes and act like she didn’t have a clue about declaring it?

:rolleyes:
Posted By: mikell

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 02:26 PM

we packed a lot of small toys and books and art supplies into our bags and didn't declare any of it...no one even asked about it....if they even noticed.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 02:36 PM

AWTY,
I have this "friend" who has made multiple trips into Belize, and no one ever asked why he/she was lugging 2- 69 pound suitcases..... While he/she is a rather large person, I don't think that many clothes would have been needed. The Spouse of this person is a bit more chicken, and chooses to stroll through with just a back-pack (which has been checked-- by the way).
Have fun!!!
Posted By: goody2shuz

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 02:42 PM

And Caribe Island is known to have extra large closets, I hear...for those of us that tend to overpack wink ....Goody
Posted By: Redheada

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 03:31 PM

Is the school in need of these types of supplies? I can bring all kinds of pens, pencils, etc. Any idea how many kids there are?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 05:06 PM

The school is always in need of supplies! I spoke with one teacher who said she would love to have some of the plastic rulers, protractors, etc... I'm not sure how many kids there are, but anything you take will be highly appreciated. You might also want to take some stickers, etc for teachers to use. The kids love them, and don't get them often. If you want to be VERY generous, they also need calculators.
The other items that they don't enough of is art and craft supplies.... the pretty scalloped scissors, art brushes, even "popsicle sticks"... I took some wonderful small fabric remnants, and small craft mirrors and the kids made framed mirrors for Mothers Day a few years ago....
Just some ideas.
Cheerz!
PS: Don't just drop these off, watch some of the faces.... it will be a blessing to you!

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 05:23 PM

Wonderful! I will start packing a box! smile
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 07:31 PM

Put it in your suitcase. Boxes get more notice at customs. I know the police dept can usually use office supplies too.

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 11:19 PM

Redheada,

My "friend" tells me this is what she's taking:

School Works Opaque Plastic Ruler, 12" /24
Wiggly Eyes, Common Sizes lg bag
Pom Poms, Regular Pack, Assorted Sizes,
Reading Puzzles Wipe Off Book
Wipe Off Markers, Nontoxic,Safety Caps,4 Color/4 pkg
Wax Crayons in Hang Tab Box, 16 Ct./24
Glue Stick, 0.28 Oz, Clear /24
Wood Craft Sticks, 4-1/2"x3/8", Assorted colors
Chenille Stems, 12", Crush Resistant, 1000 Per
Sparkle Smile Stickers, Variety Pack, 1300
I Can Print Wipe off Book, Ages 4 To 7
Math Puzzle Wipe Off Book
Word Puzzles Wipe Off Book
pencils

This might help you in what you decided to take. I Had (opps "she") had lots of fun shopping and playing santa without having to wear that big red suit.

ho ho hooooo ....

laugh
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 11:25 PM

Which school are you thinking of? There are many small schools but the main primary school is the RC School- 800+ students!

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/22/04 11:44 PM

Great info everyone. I am thrilled I can contribute a little to community while I am there. smile

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/23/04 02:19 AM

Cap'n Jesse,

This is what I know. I emailed Capt Bicho to check with his wife, he emailed me back and suggested that I connect up with Capt Jeff. Called Capt Jeff who talked with Neri who said grades K-6 could use anything, and that she was going to check with the principle. Am meeting up with Capt Jeff there and this long explanation still doesn't answer your question. Not a clue as to "where" it's going as Neri teaches pre-school.

Somebody somewhere is getting something ...(hopefully not the custom folks!)

A drop in the bucket, but never less, a drop going in.

:rolleyes:
Posted By: goody2shuz

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/23/04 02:45 AM

I gotta suggestion...when we were there we learned that the guide Severo's wife is the assistant principal at the catholic school. You can e-mail severo at [email protected] and I think he can get some answers for you directly from his wife....Goody

Re: Customs - as in what cha bring? - 04/23/04 02:51 AM

Thanks for the info Goody, will make a mental(and hard copy!) note to take with me. I'm thinking that Neri may have already spoken with "someone" so will do a wait and see when I get there. Always good to have a back-up plan.

Soooo glad to see that you're still as happy as ever. Love that jump rope action, makes for nice calfs!

laugh
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board