AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Flying in from Florida and would like to go direct to Ambergris Airport and need to know if they have customs there? Also need latitude's and longitude's for the airport can't find in any flight planning software. Any info appreciated especially from anyone who has done it, we fly to Cozumel a lot and are very familiar with Mexican procedures, thanks!
You'll have to fly into BZE to clear customs. Contact BAA for landing info and clearance
011 501 255 2045 or 3393, 4089
17.9 N, 87.9 W should get you darn close.
What are you flying Max? You may be able to arrange customs clearance through SP police or local customs agent. But you can't land a jet aircraft at the SP airstrip if that's what you're flying.
You cannot clear customs in san pedro -end of story
Yes, one can (maybe not "YOU"). Seen it done personally, and without much fuss.
Sounds dubious. You need L&L from a message board?
Thanks for the info, we fly a Beech Baron getting in to the airport is no problem. We will try to do some more research, but usually if customs are present and you can arrive by boat, they might go to the airport.
The customs office is 50 yards from the airport. However, I'm a bit inclined to agree with Pedro. When we checked in on the same thing we were told that customs were to be cleared at BZE.

A Baron would no trouble. We have some connections to a LearI, and it's a bit iffy coming and going. Not worth it.
I personally arranged in advance with the local customs office to have my guests (US citizens) cleared in SP, they came in via private transport. It was no trouble or fuss, really.
Pedro and Ms Apathy sitting in a tree...K I S S I N G. :p
For the uninitiated and the severely brain damaged and the even more stupid "It is impossible to have customs clearance for a plane in San Pedro"-you have to clear customs in Belize Int. airport-end of story
From someone who knows: It's been done but only by Guatemalans with the very highest political connections. Forget it.
Originally posted by Pedro1:
For the uninitiated and the severely brain damaged and the even more stupid "It is impossible to have customs clearance for a plane in San Pedro"-you have to clear customs in Belize Int. airport-end of story
!!!
Member # 6453 asked.......where is the airport?

Something real funny about this, flying a Baron (that's a twin engine, quarter million dollar airplane) internationally, and having to use a message board for airport and flight planning information? Much better resources are available to a pilot than here. But I'll try.....

I pulled this off of www.world-airport-codes.com.

Belize - SAN PEDRO - Airport Details
Airport Code : SPR
Airport name : SAN PEDRO
Runway Length : 2575 ft.
Runway Elevation : 2 ft.

City : San Pedro
Country Abbrev. : BZ
World Area Code : 106
GMT Offset : +6.0

Longitude : 87° 58' 0" W
Latitude : 17° 55' 0" N

Phillip Goldston International, designator BZE, is the only authorized point of entry for private planes. Aircraft must obtain permission 48 hours prior to arrival from the Civil Aviation Dept. Flight plan must be filed 24 hours prior to departure. Airspace is only open 6am to 6 pm.

Radio freqs, BZE
ground control 121.9, approach control 120.0, tower 188.0, VOR 114.3

These are the rules, and with the war on drugs I'd hesitate to break them, unless you have an inside connection.

Please, do your own flight planning and don't rely on my information above...good luck!

Larry
I think the gentlemans question has been pretty much answered. Even though some have given totally incorrect informantion about being able to clear customs in SP when flying privately to Belize.
Although I do not normaly feel a need to establish my credentials, I will preface my remarks by stating that I have flown private planes to Belize 49 times starting in 1976. I have flown barons to twin turbo props. I never attempted to find any info on flying from any message board. And it is my humble opinion that any pilot that does should probably check to be sure his license came from the FAA and not out of a cracker box.
If you do not know where to get the accurate information you are asking for, you should not be flying. Now if you are just trying to impress us that you fly planes then stick around and have some fun. :p

PS: I forgot to mention that when Piasano bought his first G-2 he wanted me to get type rated in it.

PPS: relying on getting accurate information from people on this message board about something as important as rules and regulations on flying is about as stupid as taking off in your plane without enough fuel to reach Belize hoping to find an in-flight fuel tanker on the way to fill up. laugh
And it is my humble opinion that any pilot that does should probably check to be sure his license came from the FAA and not out of a cracker box.

My thoughts exactly, bywarren, but I was trying to be diplomatic :-) I first soloed in 1976. Been flying ever since....

I hope he sticks around for the fun.

Larry
Forgot to add.....I'd give my left one for a chance to fly a G2 :-0
DOES ROMANCING THE STONE RING ANY BELLS. LOL. HAVE TO AGREE 100% W/BYWARREN. WONDER IF THAT RETURN FLIGHT IS CARGO ONLY.
Max just did a low fly by, and buzzed this Board IMHO.
Hi fellow aviators....I will be planning a trip to Cozumel Mexico and then on to Ambergris Caye later this year. I "may" stay for a month or so at Ambergris Caye if my wife and I enjoy it more than Cozmel. I would like to hangar or tie-down my plane while there. Input from local aircraft owners on the issue of keeping a plane there is appreciated. I fly my own design experimental StaggerEZ. You can see photos on my web page......Wrightaircraft.com
Bywarren=Does that mean that as usual Pedro1 was 100% correct
There is a saying, "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once and a while". Yes Pedro, you have correctly found another acorn. :p
Bywarren
From your statements about background, obviously you are in the know, are you associated with any in country flying in Belize? Your answers are right on from someone who has been there and done that as Ernie and I ramble on about the past,What we have gotten away with, we probably should not attempt any of those stunts in a country worried about drug pilots. Keep up the good infor ByWarren. KGB cool
KBG: I don't know if you got a chance to read the answer to your question that I "zapped", figured I better do that before an angel read it and I spin, crashed and burned. But if you did not, the answer is no. I let the younger pilots do the flying now.

PS: I go up every once and a while, right seat as I no longer stay current, and turn a plane up side down just to see if I can turn it right side up again.
Bywarren
to belabour a point I was having a lot of drinks with Mike (Tropic's chief pilot) who had read this thread,and his exact comments were"that some people on this board have absolutely no knowledge about customs/private planes and are just full of ....
Don't take it too personal Pedro. I am sure he didn't mean to come down on you that hard. It was probably just the drinks. laugh
Bywarren-spelling errors again
What spealing errors?
FYI all you folks.
This airspace is not unlike the sea--space?
Mike from Tropic knows more about this than anyone I know. As far as I am concerned his word is gospel.
Been there, done that, in a boat, and a plane, and on a motorcycle.
Sometimes you need to just go on vacation. Get the T shirt and don't get involved.
I learned that in Jamaica the hard way.
Jim
cool
Vacation sounds like a great idea, how about Belize? Reminds me of a vacation story. While residing in San Pedro on a really really long vacation, in May of 2000 I arranged through the police chief of San Pedro, AC, the customs clearing of 4 of my US girlfriends who were my visiting guests and who arrived in SP on the dock in fron of the Palms condos of all places by private boat from Mexico. It was handled as business as usual. Of course, my friends are long tall fine foxy ladies so I'm not sure if this was an aiding factor in the success of the customs clearing. We may never know.
Miss A, everything I read tells me it is OK to arrive and clear customs in SP by boat. It's arriving by air that's a problem.
SPR is a port of entry, it is not an international arpt. Unless you are very special and you know someone very special, or it is an emergency, you will not be able to make arrangments to arrive in SPR by air from outside BZ, especially from the U.S. There has been 1 pvt. LEGAL departure from SPR direct to the U.S. It was very expensive.
I am not sure if I want to know Miss A's idea of foxy is!!!
This is a strange group!! I guess my questions will need to be answered elsewhere.
You had a question? I thought it was an advertisement.
This strage group doesn't speak " experimental airplane." laugh
Experimentals are my specialy, Belize is not, but I've never seen a public airport that I couldn't tie down a plane. Some places just cost more than others. Call em on the phone.....
Clear customs at the International airport, when you get to Sanpedro go to the Tropic Air hanger and we will show you where to park and if necessary provide you with tie-downs. When you leave Sanpedro you will have to go back to International airport to check out of the country.
You will need a valid medical certificate, proof of insurance and a valid pilots certificate. The C.A.D. whill then allow you to fly in Belize.

Hope this helps,
Regards, Bob
Trust me. The above knows wherefore he speaks.
Before this you have to have the permission of both Maya and Tropic(info from Mike Tropic's big honcho pilot)-I did not enquire if this was a new regulation.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board