AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Lmateo Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/05/04 08:12 PM
Can anyone tell me whether the duty-free shopping in Belize City is any good? I understand that they are somewhat overpriced? Can anyone verify selections of liquor available and whether its comparable to US price of better. I keep reading mixed reviews.

Thanks.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/06/04 12:33 AM
Lmateo, it ain't no cheeper in Belize. How do you think it got there, someone had to ship it down, someone had to unload it and send it to the duty free store. If you are a banker, just do the math.
Immissing, you need to visit duty free shops in other contries. I can buy some things in Canada for half of what they cost in the States. I am sure that not all of the goods in Belize come from the US.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/06/04 01:46 PM
Generally, you can find some stuff cheaper, usually booze or cigarettes (sometimes), stuff that had a large tax burden in the states. Two instances come to mind. I picked up a 2 liter jug of Stoli on St John in the mid 90's for less than 6 bucks (at a little liquor store next to a grocery) and checking at the duty free in St Thomas when we left, they wanted $14. I got my booze to take home from Isla Mujeres in a little store for less than half what they asked at the duty free in Cancun. Never really found any good deals at Belize Int. It might be interesting to see what something like One Barrel costs on AC and bounce it against what the duty free is asking, just for a comparison.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/06/04 01:54 PM
One other item, can any one explain to me if the term "Duty Free" is more than just a buzz word to drag in tourists? In whatever country you are in, they don't give a hoot what you buy. Where the "duty' comes in is when you return to the states and they asses the value of the item(s). Whether they were purchased in a duty free store at an airport (which is convenient) or anywhere else is irrelevant. If you have a receipt that is not way out of line, there should be no problem. If it is booze, it is covered by volume, not price. The idea that everything is automatically cheaper in a duty free shop is totally false. Shop for price.
While prices at the duty-free shops at the international airport aren't fantastic, and aren't as good on booze as in the USVI and some other places in the main Caribbean, certainly prices on booze are lower than almost anywhere you'd see in the U.S.

I think Jack Black in the liter (not fifth) size was US$13 or so in August, and in the U.S. it would be US$20-$25. Plus sales tax in some states. Scotch and other imports from the UK are also significantly cheaper than anywhere I've seen in the U.S. or Canada.

I also paid just US$4 a fifth for my favorite Belizean rum, Duurley's, which is a little cheaper than I have seen it elsewhere I've seen in Belize.

Prices at the several duty-free shops do vary a little from store to store.

--Lan Sluder
Also I'd not that at *most* airports in the U.S. now customs doesn't follow the letter of the law on booze. You can bring in several bottles beyond the "limit" for personal use and customs doesn't bother to tax you on the extra.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Scubacat Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/07/04 06:49 PM
Immissing - I really think that you are really rude and if you do not have any input that is positive - you should really keep your comments to yourself and not insult people. Apparently you have not been to many duty-free shops and yes, most alcohol is cheaper in most carribean and overseas airports than in the States. Just an FYI....

Everyone else - thanks for the input.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/07/04 07:45 PM
Now, I'm insulting. What happened to Pedro 1 and bywarren ? Yesterday they were insulting .... well, Pedro is insulting everyday. O.K., if I offended Lmateo (which, by the way he didn't say so) I'm sorry. He did not say if he was talking about "retail" prices in the states or "duty free" shops in the states.There is a big difference in the two as we all know. Duty free prices in Belize are not much different than duty free anywhere in the world. I have traveled extensively in Europe, Asia, crossed both poles, been to two goat ropings and a county fair. Duty free prices are about the same in Hong Kong as Oslo. Now, I don't quite understand the attact on me from Scubarat. I have said nothing to you or about you. I never even heard of you before today. Just what is your agenda ? If you wish to start a pissing contest go some where else, I'm too busy enjoying my life to spend one moment in a board debate with some jerk from New York.
Posted By: Scubacat Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/09/04 06:43 PM
Right back at ya!
Posted By: captjeff Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/10/04 08:25 PM
ernie,whats all is new york crap watch that .., I love new york .and I think you did not say anything bad at all.. only the facts of life ...I got your back my texas buddy ...when are you down we need to fish together quick ???
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/10/04 10:55 PM
Hi Jeff, That jerk I reffered to could have been from NY or New Brunfels, Texas ! People who jerk me for no reason tend to [#%!] me off. Now, I feel a lot better ! Thanks laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: toad Re: Duty-free shopping at Phillips Airport - 09/11/04 12:27 PM
when people want to jerk me, i let'em....then, i scurry off for a nap....
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board