AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: lakegirl Flight info - 01/01/05 11:34 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I enjoy reading all of your posts and have really learned alot for our first trip to AC. My question is, who do you suggest for our flight from BZE to AC, Maya or Tropic? Also we arrive at BZE at 3:34 on March 17th, how much time do we need to get our luggage and get thru customs? Is it reasonable to catch a 4:30 flight out or do we need more time than that? Thanks for any help/suggestions!! cool
Posted By: klcman Re: Flight info - 01/02/05 12:45 AM
either is fine ( bit I'm partial to Tropic) and you'll be fine....they'll get ya there. If the first plane is full, you'll take the next.
Posted By: Fluffy Re: Flight info - 01/02/05 01:33 AM
Lakegirl: I've always taken Tropic but for no particular reason except that is the one I took on my first trip to AC. The prices between Maya and Tropic are about the same. As for time between your first step off the plane and getting through customs. At that time of year, 2 hours is about right. Also, klcman is correct, if you happen to miss your flight, no worries. They'll get you on the next flight. You could always wet your whistle at Jets Bar if that should happen.

Enjoy!!
Posted By: klcman Re: Flight info - 01/02/05 01:46 AM
2 hours??? I've never spent more than about 20-30 minutes max........

I think that would especially be true for late afternoon, as the officials always seem to rush to get outta Dodge on time. The place is nearly vacant a few minutes after 5.
Posted By: Fluffy Re: Flight info - 01/02/05 01:57 AM
When I went in March of 2004 it took us about an hour and a half to get through customs and check in at Tropic Air. It was busy. As I recall, they only had 2 custom agents working at that time as well. When I went down in May and again in September, less busy but it still took about an hour.

My advice, give yourself plenty of time. And try not to get too stressed out if things don't go as planned. You're on vacation and on AC time then.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Flight info - 01/02/05 07:23 PM
I'd book the 4:30. If you are late, they will put you on the 5:30. If you are a nervous traveller, or have a lot of people/luggage to coordinate, book the 5:30 (if you are early and they have space, they will put you on the 4:30.)
Posted By: lakegirl Re: Flight info - 01/02/05 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! I woke up this morning and thought "only 10 weeks until we go!!!" We have been looking forward to this trip since last summer and now that the holidays are behind us it's going to get here quickly (I hope). Do you guys suggest a sweater or warmer clothes for at night? What about day trips/snorkeling? I don't know about fishing yet buit from what I gather Captain Bischo (sp?) is the best. Any other things we need to do while we are there? Who else is going to be there?
Posted By: J DOG Re: Flight info - 01/03/05 03:01 PM
Tropic Air for sure!!!
A great afternoon trip is over to Caye Caulker.It's a 30 min. water taxi ride inside of the reef , make sure you bring your suit & visit the split for a great swim, then have a Belikin or three at the Lazy Lizard Bar at the split.
Last boat heads back to S.P. at 4pm. $7.50US each way. You could also combine a snorkle trip on a boat or even better a catamaran, doesn't get much better than that.
Be sure to eat at Papis, The Reef and Caliente. Truely great food at all three!
You will have a great trip. Enjoy!!
Posted By: lakegirl Re: Flight info - 01/03/05 10:53 PM
Thank J Dog. WE are in fact going to go to CC for a day trip or two!! We have 4 friends that are going to stay there but as you can see we wanted to stay somewhere not so quiet! Does any one know where we can find a link to the water taxi schedule? Thanks again everyone for the tips! :rolleyes:
Posted By: tradewinds Re: Flight info - 01/03/05 11:26 PM
http://www.gocayecaulker.com/members/ccwta.html
Posted By: klcman Re: Flight info - 01/03/05 11:31 PM
link to schedule:

http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/pages/2/index.htm

note: fare is $17.50 US roundtrip
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board