AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: grumpyvb1 Travel from the states - 07/07/05 02:19 AM
Flights from the US to Belize seem limited and VERY expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper way to get to Belize? Thanks!
Posted By: reaper Re: Travel from the states - 07/07/05 03:38 AM
Where are you flying from????
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Travel from the states - 07/07/05 04:01 AM
Most us flights seem to be in the $500-700 range but shop around, got lucky at cheapair.com a couple of weks ago and nailed two rt tickets from Phila for $287. each. If you book with a discounter make sure you get a confirm # so you can verify tickets with airline direct
Posted By: seashell Re: Travel from the states - 07/07/05 08:42 AM
Seems to me if you can get to Houston, then the flights to Belize aren't "limited".
Posted By: crockhunter Re: Travel from the states - 07/07/05 12:42 PM
We have flown to Cancun, then bussed to the Belize border. It's about a 51/2 to 6 hr trip.
Posted By: grumpyvb1 Re: Travel from the states - 07/10/05 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am living in South Carolina right now and was looking at tickets from Charlotte, NC or Atlanta. The cheapest I have seen is around $600 each. Crockhunter, how was your trip by bus? Was is relatively easy to do? Thanks again!
Posted By: Placidguy Re: Travel from the states - 07/10/05 10:56 PM
Interesting topic... we're going to AC in late October. When I booked our flight from Wash DC to Miami to Belize in early April the fare was $484.00. I thought that was a great deal !! Today I checked... it was DOWN to $388.00. (Including taxes !!!) All this was on the AA site... they showed better rates than anyone at the time... go figure.....
Posted By: Placidguy Re: Travel from the states - 07/10/05 11:21 PM
RE: The above post: I just called American Airlines and told them I saw a cheaper rate for the exact same flight I had booked.... they actually honored it AND already credited my Amex card !!! WOO HOO !!! 1st round is on me !!!!!!!
Posted By: sandb Re: Travel from the states - 07/10/05 11:36 PM
AA will still rollover international fares if in the same booking class with no fee. If you do find the lower fare, and it pays to keep checking after your initial purchase, make sure that if you used a credit card that they credit that and not talk you into accepting a voucher.
Posted By: sandb Re: Travel from the states - 07/10/05 11:49 PM
Originally posted by grumpyvb1:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am living in South Carolina right now and was looking at tickets from Charlotte, NC or Atlanta. The cheapest I have seen is around $600 each. Crockhunter, how was your trip by bus? Was is relatively easy to do? Thanks again!
I'm seeing lots of availability CLT - BZE through most sites in the fall for $409.45 all in. Thay are on AA so you will have to connect through MIA versus direct on US...still, a good fare.
Posted By: cakelee Re: Travel from the states - 07/11/05 04:35 AM
Just got a message from TravelZoo with flights to Belize from $349+ from DC, Raleigh, Philly and NY (up to $600 from other places). They are via Intratours: http://www.intratours.com/default.asp

Never heard of them, and don't know about taxes, etc, but it might be worth investigating...
Posted By: crockhunter Re: Travel from the states - 07/11/05 12:50 PM
Grumpy:

It's a nice coach bus that runs to Chetemal from Cancun. From there it is only a short trip to the border and to Corozal the first town in Belize, where there is a flight to San Pedro every hour. The most difficult part was Chetemal because very few people there spoke English and my spanish is very limited(until I drink five or six margaritas and then I can speek it fluently). I would not think it would be worth extra time if you are only going for a week or so. We spent a month in Belize so the time spent was not so bad.
Good luck.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Travel from the states - 07/11/05 05:47 PM
I flew into Cancun airport from the UK recently. I caught a bus direct to Playa del Carmen and from there another that took me all the way to Corozal airstrip, including a wait for all the passengers to clear border formalities. From there I flew to San Pedro. I hadn't arranged anything beforehand and I didn't know any schedules, but it all slotted together quite painlessly. My onward bus in PdelC left from a different bus station from the one I came into (a few blocks further north) - that's the only complication I can think of. Good buses, frequent schedule, low fares. A/C so powerful you'll want to make sure you have something warm to take on board - the regulars all had blankets. I just froze.

I don't know whether there's a direct bus from Cancun airport to Corozal but I believe not. If you have to change anywhere make it PdelC (far more pleasant, and English spoken everywhere), and be sure to visit the small Italian ice cream parlour near the bus station you come in on. Sorbet to die for!

I should add - by my route you don't go into Cancun City, nor even near it. From what I hear of the place that's a plus. Playa del Carmen is still big and busy, but isn't the concete jungle I've heard Cancun is.
Posted By: shuffles Re: Travel from the states - 07/12/05 09:29 AM
Ditto here...just returned to SP from US...via Cancun...airfare was 1/2 compared to BZE. Family medical issue and had to travel at last minute. Would only suggest that you arrive in Chetumal bus depot early enough to get tickets on first class bus. We took last flight from SP to Corozal and arrived in Chetumal too late for the 8:30 bus, (they are one hour ahead of SP), and all first class tickets were sold on the 10:30 p.m. buses. Opted for second class bus to arrive in Cancun in time to make flight out to US. They don't call 'em chicken busses for nothing! Trip back was much better as we arrived in Cancun around noon, bought next days' bus ticket, stayed over, and then took 9:30 a.m. bus to Chetumal. Were able to catch the 3:30 from Corozal. It takes longer, obviously, but if you have the time, and the price is right, it makes sense.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Travel from the states - 07/13/05 11:29 PM
LA to Chetumal connecting in Mexico, $US360 R/T
Posted By: Grace Re: Travel from the states - 07/14/05 01:37 PM
ATL is the most expensive place to fly out of for any destination......
Posted By: SimonB Re: Travel from the states - 07/14/05 07:58 PM
US Air just posted Charlotte to BZE round trip for $309.
Posted By: sandb Re: Travel from the states - 07/14/05 09:51 PM
It's $399.75 all in and good 'till 9/9. If something further out is needed, the fare mentioned above of $409 is still available and goes into November.
Posted By: cakelee Re: Travel from the states - 07/16/05 03:35 AM
Another deal from Travelzoo:

$99 -- Cancun from 13 Cities (each way)
http://www.travelzoo.com/Top20.asp?nd=l01197237
Source: USA3000 Airlines
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board