AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Mouse Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/01/05 11:59 PM
I was wondering, I activated my cell phone for international calls when I was traveling to Mexico, I was wondering if it might work on AC. If not can you get calling cards and how much is it to call the US. Thanks!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 12:12 AM
//ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/4/t/010976.html
Posted By: cakelee Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 03:34 PM
Please pardon my cell phone ignorance... to switch out the SIM card, etc, do you just have to have a certain cell phone model (ie one that is 1900 MHz, GSM, etc.) or do you have to actually have working service through Cingular, T-Mobile, or another compatible service provider? Thanks.
Posted By: dabunk Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 03:44 PM
All you need is an unlocked GSM 1900 MHZ phone. All the info needed is located in the SIM card. Most phones you remove the battery and there is a little door which holds the SIM card. Takes all of two minutes to activate on the BTL system. No working service on any US plan required.
Posted By: cakelee Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 04:21 PM
Thank you very much!
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 04:43 PM
dabunk,
how does one tell if one's mobile phone is "unlocked"?

Dan
Posted By: casa de amor Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 04:48 PM
Im not 100% sure of this but i think if you buy a calling card from the states than you have to activate it from the states, i had an experience when my calling card would not work from AC.
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 05:13 PM
This all seems too complicated for a vacation !! I think I will just give my international hotel number to family & they can contact me in case of an emergency.
Posted By: casa de amor Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 05:19 PM
there are internet cafes on the island that you can make calls to the states from if you dont have a phone or calling card.
Posted By: klcman Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 05:39 PM
Vacations and cellphones/calling cards should never be used in the same sentence
Posted By: kris48 Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 06:26 PM
Isn't that one of the magical things about AC--our cell phones don't work! A few minutes at the Internet Cafe, e-mail back home, and you are set to go. Phone number of hotel in case of dire emergency only!
Posted By: dabunk Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/02/05 06:34 PM
I agree that vacations and cell phones should not be used in the same sentence. Seems a total waste of good vacation, like using sick days for actually being sick. What a waste. We used to be able to use ATT calling cards but BTL outlawde it, but you can still use them if your hotel has a blue phone or go to BTL office and they have a phone there that takes ATT cards or similar. Now as far if phone is unlocked, I have never figured out how to tell. I usually go to the manufacturers site and check there. But since I am in Belize now many of the shops can tell you, and can unlock them for you if they are locked, usually costs around 50 BZE to unlock. But you can buy one here at BTL office for around 150BZE new or if you catch a sale 100BZE.
Posted By: marge Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/08/05 03:09 AM
What about purchasing a prepaid phone card and using a pay phone. We only want to check in with our son a couple of times during our two week stay. Is this do-able?
Posted By: indygal Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/08/05 03:25 AM
It is easier to just go to the internet cafe and they will get you all set.
Posted By: dabunk Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/08/05 04:08 AM
It is doable. You can buy ATT prepaid cards in the US and use them at the BTL office phones and some of the major resorts have the blue BTL phones that you can use them on. But the internet cafes are usually easier as indygal said
Posted By: aylee Re: Cell Phones, Calling Cards? - 11/08/05 04:47 AM
I also agree that cellphones and vacation should not be used together in a sentence! But then again, I have a couple of days where my bf is leaving me to go diving! Maybe I can call some of you guys or call me and we can all hang out!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board