AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Flight deals

Posted By: jessie_30

Flight deals - 05/31/06 12:37 PM

I am flying to Belize in February of 2008. I realize it's a ways away, but I am wondering when am I most likely to get the best flight rates? I don't want to wait until last minute, because it is for my wedding. So, should I buy them as soon as possible, or wait for a certain month of the year, or just a few months before? I just have no idea. It seems that when I look at rates for February of 2007 right now, they are higher than when I searched for that month back in November. If you have any ideas, please let me know! Thanks!!!!
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Flight deals - 05/31/06 05:08 PM

I would say look now and keep looking often. Whenever you see a drop in rates, buy. You can also program your departure city and BZE in the search functions on Yahoo Travel, Travelocity, etc and they will notify you when the fares change. Sales come & go fairly frequently.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Flight deals - 05/31/06 10:18 PM

My experience, over the years, is that best rates come within 4-6 weeks ( barring any outlandish luck-of-the draw sale) of departure. Theory has held time & again and not destination specific. Got burned only once, but made up for it just recently BIGTIME!

Just my experience, not gospel.
Posted By: kris48

Re: Flight deals - 05/31/06 10:21 PM

My best luck has been about 4 months out. Have never gotten burned with this.
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Flight deals - 06/01/06 12:33 PM

Jessie, see you're a mudduck so I assume it'll be a MSP flight. klc is right about the 4-6 weeks. I've followed that for 6years,twice a year. Happened again 2 weeks ago for late June flights. They hovered at $800+/-, then dropped overnite to $600(AA and CO) and are still there. I'd chill for about 14 months. Alternatively, pick a price you can live with, and if it hits, book it and be done.
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Flight deals - 06/01/06 01:13 PM

Great advice from everyone -- it really seems to hold to that 4-6 week pattern. If that scares you, you may also want to look at services like skyauction.com that may be able to get you into the $450-$550 price range for the days you want without waiting until that last couple of months. I've had good luck with Costa Rica there and know they list BZE often.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Flight deals - 06/01/06 02:14 PM

I don’t see where you are coming from. If you list that I think you will get a lot of very good advice.
I fly back and forth between BZE and the San Francisco Bay Area. I prefer going through Dallas and like American Airlines. Over the year I have learned the days of the week when the fewest business people are flying and they are always deadheading planes back to DFW – sometimes my flights are almost empty until I leave out of DFW.

I have set my ceiling (US $500) on what I am willing to pay. A friend taught me the value of frequent flier miles. If I can not get a flight for under my ceiling then I book FF miles. I also do a lot of multiple city travel and usually get a couple of extra cities for about US $100 each RT. AND – Boy the miles add up.
When I find a fare I like on the days I like I put a 24 hour hold on it. I have found RT for as low as US $348.

Good luck.
Posted By: cakelee

Re: Flight deals - 06/01/06 03:02 PM

Is a 24-hour hold commonly available on most airlines? I am approaching the 4-6 week window (for a mid-July trip), so this information (hopefully) will be very useful. Thanks.

P.S. jessie - a friend will be flying from MSP, so I have been checking out deals from there, too. I saw $500.75 including tax on one day but it was back up to $700ish the next day.
Posted By: Xoe

Re: Flight deals - 06/01/06 04:43 PM

I flew R/T Seattle-Belize in January, and again in May. In January the fares were showing up at about $750 so I used f.f. miles (Alaska f.f. program partnered with American): 35,000 f.f. miles was a good deal for that ticket. My sister joined me from Hawaii and her ticket also was 35,000 f.f. miles, for HNL-DFW-BZE, which was a REALLY good deal!

In May I got the same routing (SEA-DFW-BZE) for $440, so it was a good deal to buy with cash, bad deal with f.f. miles.

You just need to keep checking, and grab it when the time comes. If you're getting less than a 2-cent per mile value for your f.f. miles, it's usually not the best way to use your miles.
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Flight deals - 06/01/06 05:03 PM

One other thing sorta mentioned by scubalady, and that's the day of the week you fly. MSP to BZE flights have also been cheaper flying tuesdays and thursdays

Re: Flight deals - 06/01/06 05:09 PM

Also check Hobbit Travel for flights from MSP. They often have good deals. Now that I see the dates, you really can't buy anything till Feb 2007. You can only get flights 364 days in advance.

Yes 24 hr hold is usual, but not guaranteed. Some sales are instant purchase.
Posted By: DJH

Re: Flight deals - 06/02/06 11:00 AM

Feb 2007 is only 9 months away and you can get tickets now. We are also from MN and go every Feb. since 1993. I have been searching everything looking for a good deal. I hate AA because on the way home the make you spend the night before coming to MN. (Unless you want to spend a lot of money for your tickets). I saw that alot last year also. We have used hot wire the last two times. You don't know your times but they always start in the morning going there and afternoon leaving BZ. All taxes and airport fees included. Even the departure fees leaving BZ. I also wonder about waiting until closer to Feb but with gas prices going up all of the time who knows what tickets might cost.

Re: Flight deals - 06/02/06 01:13 PM

But they are asking about Feb 2008...
Posted By: filmacrak

Re: Flight deals - 06/02/06 02:43 PM

wow! info on these boards is invaluable! learned how to book too! thanks.

Re: Flight deals - 06/02/06 03:23 PM

Sorry guess I skipped right pass that

Re: Flight deals - 06/02/06 05:19 PM

me too the first time! wink

Re: Flight deals - 06/03/06 05:21 AM

Thank you everyone! Yes, I am flying from Minneapolis, and it seems like the cheapest for next Feb. is $725 without taxes... so I'm worried about prices in 2008. I realize I can't buy tickets for awhile, I'm just trying to figure out when to buy them and trying to plan a budget. By the way, anyone have any good ideas for unique wedding favors? Is there some type of unique gift I could buy on the island for my guests? Thanks!

Re: Flight deals - 06/03/06 09:48 AM

Also depending on the dates you plan to travel in Feb 2008 I think you can start looking in May 2007.

Re: Flight deals - 06/03/06 12:09 PM

Don't worry... I'm chilled. Just getting ideas, but thank you for your "useful" advise lacy.
Posted By: spots101x

Re: Flight deals - 06/05/06 05:51 PM

I can't think of a better place to get married, so congratulations! I'm hoping to celebrate my 50th birthday on a SP beach in February 2007 and I've always found the best priced from DFW to BZE was directly from AA. As of today I can only book through December 2006. I check a couple of times a week directly on the AA site and have a farewatcher set up with SideStep, which is the only travel search engine I would recommend (though, I can usually get the same flight for $15-30 less directly from AA). They usually only offer their incredible $254. RT deal for a day or two so I use SideStep as a prompt to check AA's site. Good luck shopping and with your wedding!
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Flight deals - 06/29/06 02:26 AM

Originally posted by jessie_30:
Thank you everyone! Yes, I am flying from Minneapolis, and it seems like the cheapest for next Feb. is $725 without taxes... so I'm worried about prices in 2008. I realize I can't buy tickets for awhile, I'm just trying to figure out when to buy them and trying to plan a budget. By the way, anyone have any good ideas for unique wedding favors? Is there some type of unique gift I could buy on the island for my guests? Thanks!
Jessie_30,

There are lots of unique ideas for wedding favors here. I will PM you favor ideas. In addition to unique wedding favors and gifts for your guests we also offer

"Caribbean Welcome Baskets"

Welcome your guests to the Tropics by having a beautiful basket you personalize in their hotel room upon arrival. Include a personal greeting from both of you! Select from the items below. We will add any other items upon request.

Cashews
Plantain chips
Hot Pepper Sauce
Tropical Jams with crackers
Tropical Fruit Punch w/ "How to Make Rum Punch" recipe card
Belize Beach Towel
Belize Bottle of "One Barrel Rum"
Belizean Tropical
Belize Coconut and Conch Shell Candles
Sunscreen-SPF 30
After Sun Aloe

All food and alcohol products produced in Belize

All baskets will also include

Menus and coupons from local restaurants
Brochures for local entertainment
Map and guide
Directions for same-day cleaners
Local sources for internet, phone, fax, etc...

Have you picked the perfect location on the island? PM me if you need any more assistance!

Re: Flight deals - 06/30/06 01:22 AM

jessie_30

I sent you a PM with a list of all of our unique wedding favors. There is numerous ideas even when on a budget. We have plenty of beach and island themed favors as well as traditional.
Please contact me for any questions.
Posted By: Bzedoll

Re: Flight deals - 06/30/06 06:32 PM

Jessie when you get to the island make sure to stop by Tabu. Rebecca does the most beautiful wedding cakes on the island. She has an album with pictures of her many cakes. My personal favorite has edible shells, sand dollars, star fish and coral on it. You can also email her at [email protected] for pictures. I hope your wedding plans are going smoothly. I have many couple that come here and choose not to have a cake since they usually can't find what they want but I can honeslty say the cakes are great and Rebecca is very creative.

Re: Flight deals - 07/01/06 12:06 AM

Rebecca definately has beautiful and wonderful tasting cakes. Her book is lovely. Perhaps she can put together some of the pics and email them to you. I will speak with her tomorrow.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board