AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: dawnlosinger currency - 05/24/01 04:16 PM
Hi All!

I'll be in AC in less thann two weeks! I can't wait...

My question is about money. I'm a plastic person - I charge everything. I'm under the impression that won't be possible in most places there...do most people bring $ to change to Belizian dollars? or do you just use american dollars? are traveler's cheques an option?

any insight woud help. Thanks!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: currency - 05/24/01 04:24 PM
bring enough cash just in case, but most souvinir (sp) shops, dive shops, & nicer restaraunts take plastic. you will want cash for bars, breakfasts, grocery store, etc.
Posted By: Big Frank Re: currency - 05/24/01 04:24 PM
Us cash is always the right color and is accepted everywhere. IMAHO plastic should be used sparingly--like at hotels for room,bar and food. Traveler checks are good for large items like tours, or meals. They are not difficult to changs BUT banks will charge a fee.

If you need to charge
1]in country airline fees
2]tours[can be a hassle with small operators]
3]hotel bill as they already have your card
Remember Belize exit fee of $20 us per person
Posted By: Ken & Lynne Re: currency - 05/25/01 05:16 AM
Hi, dawn...

We just got back from AC almost 10 days ago and when we go back again we'll bring more cash and/or traveler's cheques! Like others have said - plastic works great for hotels, dive trips, more expensive restaurants and most gift shops...but would bring more cash/cheques next time (or spend less - never!!) for grocery stores, street vendors, less expensive restaurants, tips, etc. Traveler's cheque cashing tip: Western Union on Front St. (Castleberry, Ltd.) worked great for cashing my traveler's cheques (better rate than the local banks). I believe they are open 7 days a week - although hours are limited on Sundays - so check their schedule.
You'll have a wonderful trip!!! Belize it$$$!
Most importantly...the best things in AC are free...the warmth of the sunshine...wonderful people...music and laughter filling the air...still have sand in my shoes and a song in my heart. Can't ya tell?! Enjoy!!

Lynne
Posted By: KC Re: currency - 05/25/01 06:17 AM
Hi Dawn -- I have worked for a plastic surgeon for 15 years. Maybe you know him... Does Mark Jewell ring any bells? Have a great time in Belize!

Kathy
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: currency - 05/25/01 09:28 AM
Personally, I try to bring as much cash as I can. Using plastic will incurr a 5% surcharge in many of the island's establishments. You do not have to exchange your $$ as both US and Belizean $$ are accepted. However, when you pay is US, be prepared to receive a mixture of US and BZ in return in your change.

I usually save all the BZ money for the departure tax at the airpport.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board