AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Mayan Ruins

Posted By: ACfan

Mayan Ruins - 02/24/02 01:13 AM

Has anyone on the board visited Chichen Itza as part of a trip to Belize?

We'll be in San Pedro later this year with another couple that wants to visit a "major" Mayan ruin. They specifically asked about going to Chichen Itza on the Yucatan on their return to the states. We've suggested that they might want to consider a day trip to Tikal instead.

Any suggestions regarding either location?

Thanks!
Posted By: gailtor

Re: Mayan Ruins - 02/24/02 01:57 AM

ACfan... I have been to both places. I would have to say that I enjoyed Tikal the most. Tropic Air offers both day trips and overnite (staying in Flores). Check out their web site for tours...
http://www.tropicair.com/tours.html

I did the overnite and thoroughly enjoyed the whole adventure. I would highly recommend it. I plan to revisit Tikal to do more exploring. Check out the message board here under search, as I believe others have spoken highly of the site. You might want to pick up some advance reading material on the ruins before you go.

I also loved Flores with it's quaint shops, the market, the layout of the streets, the churches, etc.

Whatever you /they decide ENJOY!
Gail
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Mayan Ruins - 02/24/02 02:04 AM

Chichen Itza would be a two or three day trip at least from San Pedro. Why anyone would want to go there when there are wonderful ruins in Belize and in Guatemala I don't know. Chichen Itza is packed with daytrippers from Cancun. You can easily go to Tikal, or to one of the Belize sites. After all, Belize was the heart of the Maya empire.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: silkpainter

Re: Mayan Ruins - 02/24/02 03:16 AM

I drove to Chichen Itza from Cancun. It is a 3 hour drive from Cancun and most of it is toll road that is in good condition. You cross Mexican State boundaries which means that you could be searched thoroughly (been there, done that) or just passed on thru. I would opt for Tikal or Palenque. Although the road from Belize to Palenque is very lonesome with many many military checkpoints, but in reasonable shape. It is about a 3 hour drive from the northern border of Belize to Palenque. It depends on how adventuresome you are. Having driven through Mexico from Laredo Texas to Belize (that is a story to be told at another time) I would opt for someone else doing the driving/flying in Mexico or Guatemala. The roads in Mexico are not marked well, and I felt I had to be on guard at all times. But other people have had good experiences. Chichen Itza is very very very touristy, so is Tulum.
--Silk
www.caribbean-colors.com
Posted By: ACfan

Re: Mayan Ruins - 02/25/02 01:07 AM

Gail, Lan & Silk -

Thanks for the information - In addition ro your feedback, searching the board archives for Tikal generated a lot of helpful posts. Whether or not the couple travelling with us goes to Tikal, that's where we're going. We'll probably fly into Belize City a day earlier than we'd planned, go to Tikal with Tropic and then over to AC for a week.

Neil
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board