AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Gianni Car question for Lan - 09/02/02 01:31 AM
Thanks for the advice Lan. Purchased Adapter kit last night at B&N bookstores.

Anyway, I'll be driving my Suzuki 4x4 to Belize, and the cars got some mileage on it. I'm wondering if the car breaks down, and I have some major problems that I don't feel like fixing. What happens to me and my car? I'm thinking about how the gov officials stamped my passport so I couldn't sell the car, etc.. Do, I have to pay to junk the car? Throw it away.. Thanks, Gianni
Posted By: silkpainter Re: Car question for Lan - 09/02/02 04:09 PM
Lan must be enjoying the Labor Day weekend. Since he hasn't answered this question, I will. Bringing a car or boat into Belize as a tourist isn't difficult. When you enter at the border, they will inspect (do a cursory search) the car and your passport will be stamped. You will also be given some paperwork. You CAN NOT leave Belize unless the car leaves with you, or you pay the duty on it. No exceptions, even if its junked. You can bring the car into Belize for 6 months without paying duty on it. Even if it stops working and you consider it worthless junk, you'll still have to pay duty on it. You might be able to sell the car to someone who is willing to pay the duty, but the duty has to be cleared before the transfer of title. You will need to work with a customs broker to get the duty assessed and paid. But, you have 6 months to accomplish it. When the duty is paid, the customs stamp on your passport will be cancelled.
--Silk www.caribbean-colors.com
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Car question for Lan - 09/03/02 04:50 PM
Thanks to Silkpainter for answering the question.

Thanks to Barnes & Noble for carrying my book.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Gianni Re: Car question for Lan - 09/03/02 11:19 PM
Thanks, silk - and thanks Lan for the book.
I talked with this woman in Dangriga - she tells me that some people sell their car/truck when there and fly back to the states when they are through with Belize. She tells me I shouldn't have any trouble finding somebody interested in buying or paying the duty on my suzuki 4x4 even if its broken. Whats the word on the streets with this scenario? I mean, would I find someone to just pay the duty or would I find someone to buy it and pay the duty. Fill me with the low - down on this scenario? Thanks alot, Gianni
Posted By: silkpainter Re: Car question for Lan - 09/04/02 12:54 AM
Depends on your luck I guess.
Posted By: d-jon Re: Car question for Lan - 09/04/02 02:30 AM
Gianni, I am the woman from Dangriga.

If you decide to sell the car, it will all depends on how much you want for it.

You never know, I might be interested.

E-mail me with a price.
Posted By: Gianni Re: Car question for Lan - 09/10/02 09:15 AM
YEs, But whats the word on the street?
Posted By: Gianni Re: Car question for Lan - 09/11/02 12:33 AM
Also, any info on " what if my car got stolen " Would I still have to pay the duty, and everything else?

Thanks
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Car question for Lan - 09/11/02 03:07 AM
If your passport was stolen too, you could get a new passport without the stamp in it.
Problem solved.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: Car question for Lan - 09/13/02 04:56 PM
contrary to popular belief, i like the way cap'n jesse thinks.
gay
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board