AmbergrisCaye.com Home
The Belize Airport's Authority announces the implementation of its Airport Development Fee which will take effect on April 1, 2004. Rumors is being widely circulated that Non-Belizeans will have to pay a US$35.00 departure tax as of Thursday April 1st when departing the country via the P.S.W. Goldson International Airport.

Yesterday, BTIA's Executive Director Mr. Andrew Godoy spoke to Mr. Enrique Hoare of the Belize Airport's Authority who confirmed that on April 1, 2004 there will be a new fee added that is payable only by non-nationals. Mr. Hoare added that this new fee is for the airport development and will be called the airport development fee. It is a US$15.00 increase that will be added to the current US$20.00 departure tax that is being charged to non nationals. So then, non-nationals leaving Belize via the P.G.I.A. will have to pay a total of US$35.00 starting April 1, 2004.

According to Enrique Hoare, the airport management have plans to start with this fee which will be payable at the point of departure; however, within a month's time, their plans is to incorporate this fee into the ticket sale so that it becomes an invisible fee. It will come in under taxes payable when you purchase your ticket. Mr. Hoare concluded that this fee is the lowest in the region and that it has become necessary to offset the huge investments the authority is putting into the expansion or the airport terminal building and runways which is to start in the next few months.

BTIA members and industry stakeholders are urged to share your comments or concerns on this matter with us so we can make a reply to the relevant bodies on this new departure fee. You are invited to forward your comments to [email protected] by the end of the week.
Each time we go to Belize we use air miles, always used American Airlines and have had to pay departure.

This past visit we used air miles and the departure tax was included in those tickets.

We asked at the desk why we didn't have to pay. They didn't have an answer at that time. We had one leg of the flight to and from by TACA, otherwise we used American. Our Departure was TACA.
When using American Airlines exclusively, we have always had to pay the departure fee.

It must have been TACA that absorbed it this time.
The runway definitely needs lengthening.
I always fear a tire blow out when they slam on the brakes, I agree.
Slamming on the brakes is always a real thrill, but the best so far was the two times that the aircraft came in too high and had to circle out over the city and give it another go. On the other hand, too high was certainly preferable to TOO LOW.

Departure tax. I just can't bring myself to go there again. Just get out the calculator on 2 or 3 outbounds 7 days a week. If it must be, bury it in the ticket. This horse is also dying.
The "old" departure tax has been incorporated into the airfare on AA and CO but not on USAir. (it is interestingly enough coded an "FU" tax!!!) I have not been notified of the new departure tax but I am sure it will start showing up. That makes about $100+ of every ticket US and BZ taxes.
Barb - What about tickets purchased on AA thru a consolidator on a "net" basis? Do you know if the price includes departure taxes then?
HEY IT'S NO BIGGIE, WETHER YOU PAY AT A STATION OR WITHIN THE TICKET I'M ALL FOR IT. IMPROVEMENTS ARE NECESSARY, AND SAFETY IS A PRIMARY CONCERN,SO WHY NOT...IT'S A SMALL PRICE TO PAY..JOHN IN DENVER.. laugh
yes, even "Net" tix usually include the departure tax.
I don't agree that the departure tax is included in the ticket price. I believe it's collectible at the ticket counter when you check in for your outbound flight. You pay cash, either Belize $ or US $.

But I could be wrong.
I had a return on American on March 10th (BZE-MIA-TPA) and was not charged. The gal at the counter wrote down 40.00 on the ticket, but no funds were collected. Same for my travelling companion. Nice surprise as I thought I had a cheap ticket anyway.
I am going again in April and sometimes wonder if I could be the one singlehandedly driving up those tourist arrival figures (6 times in one year).
It's a fairly recent thing that the departure tax has been included in the ticket price. Not all airlines do it and if you purchased your ticket before a certain date (Dec 2003 sometime), it may not have been included. If the tax is $50 something it is not included, if the tax is $70 or $80 something, it is included. Can see all taxes listed on your ticket receipts.
Yes, they are collecting $35 per person now when you go to leave the airport. This is a pretty big financial hit for a family traveling with children. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee to help with development, but when it costs as much as a night in a resort it may cause me to rethink my travel plans in the future
try Ecuador ! Fees there were just as high 4 years ago! and they've done NADA to upgrade facilities sicne.
Originally posted by NYgal:
Each time we go to Belize we use air miles, always used American Airlines and have had to pay departure.

This past visit we used air miles and the departure tax was included in those tickets.

We asked at the desk why we didn't have to pay. They didn't have an answer at that time. We had one leg of the flight to and from by TACA, otherwise we used American. Our Departure was TACA.
When using American Airlines exclusively, we have always had to pay the departure fee.

It must have been TACA that absorbed it this time.
We used TACA and had to pay it so not sure about that. confused
Oh my...Well, I guess we need to be prepared to do some research on that American Airline then, for future travel.
It was our first time with TACA. I must have jumped the gun with saying it was them. Perhaps it was our airmiles tickets hm.......

Either way, we didn't have to pay it and we always had in the past.

The new tax was not yet implemented, does that count smile
Thanks again.
They have only been including the departure tax ($20) on new tickets purchased since about Dec 2003. Now they will be adding in the new $35 dep tax on tickets purchased from now on. So if you purchased tix within the last few months, they probably will have the old dep tax included but you will have to pay the $15 difference. If you purchase tickets from now on, they will have the $35 dep tax included. Except USAir which has not been including the old or the new dep tax and you will have to pay the $35 at checkin. eek
HARUMPH! I just checked my receipt, and you are right Barb, it had $20. I paid $35 at the airport. Guess that was my contribution to the effort. Well, I know to look next time!
Thanks BarbaraK smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board