AmbergrisCaye.com Home

When Looking for cheap Air Fares

Posted By: Don Greife

When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/26/07 06:35 AM

Does anyone ever use any of the "U Bid" auction sites for flight reservations to BZE? The part about "Subject to Availability" seems a little troublesome on a round trip reservation. Any thoughts?
Posted By: KVarner

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/26/07 10:16 AM

I guess you just need to be somewhat flexible to make sure that this works out for you. Its definitely an interestig site, I've never heard of it before. I might have to try it for a hotel or something...
Posted By: shuffles

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/26/07 04:18 PM

Five years ago, we made arrangements through Skyauction for two trips and it was great. Air, hotel, etc., all booked through the auction site.

The last few years though, the prices have jumped up, and beware of the additional "weekend" and "service" fees. Also if you fly from somewhere other than their chosen departure cities, you will pay an addition per person fee to fly.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/26/07 04:19 PM

Buyer beware
Posted By: RNdiver

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/30/07 01:21 AM

I would not suggest flying US airlines.

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/30/07 01:22 AM

I would not suggest flying US airlines.
Posted By: klcman

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/30/07 01:35 AM

'splain Lucy!
Posted By: boatman

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/30/07 03:39 AM

Okay, I hear what you say about US Air but I don't hear why. I am leaving at 7:00 am Saturday morning on US Air for my first trip to Belize. What should I know before I leave?
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/30/07 05:03 PM

Reconfirm your flight times, etc NOW. Lately, USAir has been known to cancel flights without notifying you.
Posted By: Dan Carey

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/30/07 06:29 PM

&nbsp &nbsp Hi,
I've used consolidators and auctions in the past and the experience has been okay. My flights have never been on a "standby" basis. They were real seats, but they had to be used exactly as stated in the contract, for example on the exact date and time, or I would be out of luck. Late to the airport? Too bad, no refund.
&nbsp &nbsp As th US Air, they're just like any other cut-rate airline, in my experience. On any airline, cut-rate or full fare, you really should call to confirm your seats as soon as you can, typically 24 hours. Check on-line a few hours before boarding to make sure. After all that, your flight might still be delayed or cancelled. Remember what pilots say "If you've got time to spare, go by air".
&nbsp &nbsp Of course, Team Cheapskate recommends flying into Cancun and taking the bus down the Yucatan, which can save a pile of dough.
&nbsp &nbsp Of course, the ususal disclaimers apply: Your Mileage may vary. Close cover before striking. And most important, Keep out of reach of children.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Dan

Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/31/07 05:22 AM

Dan, have you done the Cancun / bus deal? How did it work out? any gotcha's? Costs? Time, etc?
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 01/31/07 09:25 PM

Ditch, I personally haven't done it but hear its great. 6 hours and very cheap ride.
Posted By: cakelee

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/01/07 08:34 PM

I have heard that, too, TQ.

I wonder how many people visit Belize via Cancun. We just talked to a friend who was in Cozumel last week who said the airport was FULL of people wearing Belize t-shirts and others who had "Unbelizable" stickers on their luggage. He said there were so many people, he thought they were waiting for connecting flights to/from Belize and was surprised when we told him there were no flights from CZM/CUN to Belize!

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/01/07 09:39 PM

absolutely USAir cancelled my flight in may without any notice, they expected me to change my vacation dates to accomodate their flight changes. I got anew flight on another airline - see my thread "us air cancelle dmy flight'

I wish you luck!
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/01/07 11:28 PM

My gial just told me it's 4 hours to/from Cancun to Chetamal...? Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I heard that you watch two movies and the bus is VERY nice!
Posted By: spl

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/01/07 11:28 PM

and a cold bus, VERY cold. Need pants, jacket, etc...
Posted By: TIMO

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/02/07 01:25 AM

my wife took that bus ride a few years back and was very impressed with the bus and service. she also said it was very cold.

fwiw, just booked with AA for may 2007....$480 all-in from chicago thru dallas. best i have seen all winter, and i check most every day.

another fwiw, just returned from turks and caicos thru miami yesterday and that airport could not have been more f'ed up if they tried. it really is getting worse every time i am there, and we made a pact to never set foot in that zoo again. nearly got into two brawls,( pushing, line jumping, and your feet getting run over by carts) with deranged travelers who were clearly out of thir minds. at one point, the tsa rep. was actually encouraging people to "push and shove" if they wanted to get through. disoranganized chaos at its best
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/02/07 01:57 AM

Timo, I couldn't agree more with you. I'll never book another flight to anywhere in the world that takes me through Mia.The immigration lines were a joke. The people surly, the agents miserably curt. The TSA agents at the security check-in were Nasty, and they were abusive to many a passenger. I had a feeling that I had just been transported to some Maximum secuity prison and was steeling myself for the cavity search. I saw grown women cry, and insensitive Gov't employees screaming at people who just wanted answers to simple questions. Never Again, Not in this or any other lifetime will I subject myself or my wife to that torture. It was a miserable end to a wonderful trip to San Pedro.
Posted By: TIMO

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/02/07 02:11 AM

accually, immigration was fine. our problems ( along with every one else) started at baggage claim, and continued through customs and the security checkpoints to get to our connecting flight. with no less than a dozen intl. flights all arriving at more or less the same time, claiming your bag and just getting to customs was a battle. then they shut down one section of customs and every one got funneled to one area, with no semblance of order. like i said before....chaos.
Posted By: cakelee

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/02/07 09:23 PM

TQ - I think the length of time depends on what kind of bus you take. Some are non-stop express, some stop a few times and some stop frequently. I would like to try this route sometime, just not with a 2-yr-old (mine)!

TIMO - great price out of Chicago. Thanks for letting us Midwesterners know (although I'm already booked for June)!
Posted By: OESGwynedd

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/04/07 08:59 AM

My hubby and i took this 3 year ago when we were down there. the waves were too bad to dive in AC so we went to CZM.
Flew from AC to Corazol??? taxi across to Chetumal and buss to Playa del Carmen. Took about 5 hours if i remember correctly. Be sure to get 'EXPRESS' bus and yes, they are cold and comfortable seats with movies (in spanish). ab
Posted By: OESGwynedd

Re: When Looking for cheap Air Fares - 02/04/07 09:05 AM

i just got back from a skyauction trip. they were really nice working with me to get what i needed.......

3 yrs ago won trip to AC on Ebay auction. that worked out great too.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board