AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Do I need a customs exempt form?

Posted By: ACHoneymoon

Do I need a customs exempt form? - 03/19/07 04:17 AM

We'd planned on bringing some books down for the library, as well as some clothing for the school (we'd read previously that socks and underwear were in demand). Do we need a customs exempt form for these items?
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Do I need a customs exempt form? - 03/19/07 05:09 PM

Explain to the customs inspector upon your arrival at the airport your intentions for the items. There is no form so to speak that I know of. Sometimes where you want to donate the items can send you a letter ahead of time to verify your intentions. 99% of the time no problems or duty to pay, or a very small amount. Most of it depends on you attitude when dealing with the Customs people.
Posted By: sptlibrary

Re: Do I need a customs exempt form? - 03/19/07 05:29 PM

Thanks so much for bringing books. We need them. Generally, books are exempt from customs. It is other supplies that get us into to trouble. If you want to send us your fax number, we can suuply a letter if you would be more comfortable. Just email it directly to the library at sptlibrary @hotmail.com. And, again, thank you
Posted By: LeeFranke

Re: Do I need a customs exempt form? - 03/19/07 07:33 PM

I just brought down a stack of books for the library. On the form provided I listed them as such. The customs fellow did not charge me anything for them. (but I was prepared to pay if they did).

He: "These are staying at the library?"
Me: "Yes Sir".
He: ...thinks for a second...
He: "Go ahead".
Posted By: belizegial

Re: Do I need a customs exempt form? - 03/19/07 10:28 PM

LeeFranke, thanks a million for the pencils.

Much appreciated.

© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board