AmbergrisCaye.com Home

travel safety

Posted By: button pusher

travel safety - 05/09/07 03:43 PM

We will arrive in AC on the 24. I am working on the final travel plans. Do most places take visa cards and ATM or should we bring travelers checks? We are also thinking of travelers insurance, to protect personal items. ( the post on robberies have us thinking cautiously)

15 days and we will be on the beach sipping an adult beverage

Buttons
Posted By: Marty

Re: travel safety - 05/09/07 04:36 PM

i would use visa cards, tho i would also bring a lil cash or travl checks.... the robbery was on the mainland in the hills....

personally i never use travel insurance. but others may feel differently
Posted By: Johnboy

Re: travel safety - 05/09/07 05:35 PM

Travelers checks have always worked well for us... sometimes you even get a little extra in Belize money....
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: travel safety - 05/11/07 03:44 PM

Well, I think travel insurance probably cost about $100. If you end up having to cancel a portion of your trip or your video camera is damaged/stolen it might be a worthwhile investment.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: travel safety - 05/11/07 04:30 PM

button, just don't keep all your eggs in one basket! smile
Posted By: button pusher

Re: travel safety - 05/11/07 05:24 PM

The camera is what we were worried about. We can and will leave the jewlery hoome.
Posted By: reaper

Re: travel safety - 05/11/07 09:15 PM

I would get a travel policy that covers theft, cancellation and medical evacuation if you're not already covered by a health plan.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: travel safety - 05/11/07 09:35 PM

Good point Reaper - I guess I assumed everybody carries medical evacuation insurance.

If you are a diver check your Dan insurance, often med evac is covered.
Posted By: scubawalk

Re: travel safety - 05/11/07 11:25 PM

Regular DAN insurance covers diving accidents. Their premium policy covers everything and is only a little more and well worth the extra money. Medivac is covered by both policies.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: travel safety - 05/12/07 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by scubawalk
Regular DAN insurance covers diving accidents. Their premium policy covers everything and is only a little more and well worth the extra money. Medivac is covered by both policies.

For this of you thatdon't know about DAN

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/index.asp
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: travel safety - 05/12/07 04:49 AM

It is important to remember that DAN only covers you when you are 50 miles or more away from home. Be careful of what you list as your 'home' address.
Also, I had trouble with my 'online' renewal. If you do not get a confirmation e-mail from them your application did not go through. This happened twice - third times a charm. I just watched to make sure only one charge went to my credit card.
I love my DAN insurance - wouldn't dive without it.
Posted By: seashell

Re: travel safety - 05/12/07 08:56 AM

Hmm, seems to me, that a person could keep their camera in a white sock and it would be safe enough . .don't you agree Chloe?

wink Well, I guess you guys had to be at BC's that night.

Posted By: crockhunter

Re: travel safety - 05/12/07 12:04 PM

Seashell, that only applies if you wear socks when in Belize! I have found that every room offers some place to hide a few valuables if you are creative enough.
Posted By: Hon

Re: travel safety - 05/12/07 12:17 PM

http://www.shomer-tec.com/site/product.cfm?id=99887213-F553-E130-7F2BE5BED6A1828B

Hilarious and, I'm sure, extremely effective.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board