AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Vacationing in Ambergris Caye

Posted By: toto

Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 02/20/08 12:12 AM

Our family will be staying at the Palms in March and was looking for Dive Shop and dive site recommendations. We probably don't want to dive any more than 80 feet so the Blue Hole is out. Also, would like recommendations on zip line/cave tubing (or any must do's!) and restaurants. Our kids are 18 and 21 so practically traveling with 4 adults! Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 02/20/08 04:52 AM

Your closest is AquaDives a short walk up the beach (towards town), but in reality any dive operation will pick you up and drop you off. All you need do is email or phone them in advance.

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 02/20/08 02:53 PM

Any specific dives sites you might recommend? How is night diving in the reserve?
Posted By: jenni sharp

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/04/08 11:07 PM

all the dive shops wait til that morning to decide which sites to visit. so not to repeat sites for divers. 2 of my favorites are tackle box for the swim throughs and esmarelda for the nurse sharks. night diving at hol chan is very nice. lots to see but can get a bit crowded when the island is full. sometimes a currant but worth the trip.
jen
www.aqualandphotos.com

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/04/08 11:35 PM

Do you have any dive shops you recommend. We are diving with our girls and we would love to have a recommendation instead of just picking one. Thanks!
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/04/08 11:49 PM

Toto, I echo what Jenni said on the dive sites, as far as a dive shop I really like Protech (pedro2)with Israel the DM/guide.. They are great! I've dove with them twice and will keep going back to them as long as I'm diving there.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/04/08 11:50 PM

San Pedro has lots of good ones.
Its a good safe diving community on the whole.

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/05/08 01:29 AM

The Palms generally uses the dive shop at Ramon's Village, which has a good reputation and is close by.

You'll (probably) get lots of recommendations because people generally like the dive shops they know. "divingcowgirl" is very complimentary to us (Protech) but if others bother to post you'll probably get similar comments about other dive shops. As Elbert says, you'd really have to be very unlucky to find a bad one!

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/05/08 02:06 AM

Sounds like a good recommendation to me! We are thinking about doing a couple of 2 tank dives or possibly a 2 tank and a night dive. Could you give me info on prices and do we need to reserve time in advance or when we get there? Thanks!
Posted By: seashell

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/05/08 02:06 AM

Last week, I had nurse sharks bumping into my legs as I did my head down descent at Esmeralda. That's never happened before.

And then on one dive, I saw a little puppy nurse shark chase our DM all over the place. It certainly appeared as if it wanted to be petted and wasn't concerned about cadging some food.

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/05/08 04:38 AM

toto - replying to your email.

It's been eventful at Esmeralda recently. Seashell's clumsy nurse sharks (!), then a whale shark a few days ago, followed yesterday by an impromptu wreck dive.

I've been arguing about our nurse sharks recently with someone on Scubaboard. I maintain that we have nurse sharks that are simply friendly and want to be made a fuss of, whereas the other person (who hasn't been here) refuses to believe it's anything other than human abuse of sharks. Seashell's observation is interesting and supports my case.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Vacationing in Ambergris Caye - 03/05/08 10:21 AM

Not to mention, that it was quite clear that the puppy knew the DM. The puppy was not confused about who it wanted to be petted by.

Clumsy nurse sharks, lol, who'd a thunk?

Shall I come over to Scubaboard and tell my story? What thread is it?
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board