AmbergrisCaye.com Home

visa or cash?

Posted By: teamstephens

visa or cash? - 03/04/08 03:38 AM

Wondering how much cash we should bring down. We like to use visa but are wondering if most places on Ambergris and Caulker will take it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 13 more sleeps!!!!
Posted By: colomojo

Re: visa or cash? - 03/04/08 03:44 AM

We budget cash for groceries, beer/liquor, incidentals and shopping but use visa for dinners, golf cart rental and tours if necessary. Depends on what you like and what you want to do. You can always use a visa to get money but beware of "cash advance" fees from your cc company.
Posted By: Cooper

Re: visa or cash? - 03/04/08 03:47 AM

A good percentage of places take visa...however most places will charge you 4 to 5% extra for doing so,,this practice is against bank policies..and vendors that do this are in danger of loosing their credit card privileges..yet the practice goes on and little can be done unless you want to turn vendors into the bank, but receipts do not reflect the breakdown .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: visa or cash? - 03/04/08 04:51 AM

Bring cash by all means, but also bring travellers' cheques. They are much more welcome than credit cards, though obviously bring those along as backup.
Posted By: teamstephens

Re: visa or cash? - 03/04/08 10:11 PM

thanks so much, I hate it when my hubs is right!!haha
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 02:22 AM

In 14 trips I have never had a merchant charge me extra for using a credit card - at times I have offered to let them add it and still have never had it added.

Took travellers checks my first trip, would never do it again as it was way too much hassle. The exception to that would be having them cashed by the hotel, which was easy enough when they had the available cash.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 03:51 AM

Both gas stations charge I believe 3% extra if you use your credit card. They are the only ones that I've experienced charging extra to use your credit card.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 06:07 PM

Both gas stations? I know of the texico on the back side of town. Where is the other one?
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 06:09 PM

South of town- corner of Sea Grape and Blake Streets...next to Island Internet
Posted By: deadserious

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 06:20 PM

Would you mind marking it on wikimapia?

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=17.911143&lon=-87.97107&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 06:26 PM

Done
Posted By: PSSunshinegal

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Leah-Ann
In 14 trips I have never had a merchant charge me extra for using a credit card - at times I have offered to let them add it and still have never had it added.

Leah Ann, that isn't the deal. The deal is that they give you a big discount (often 15%) if you pay cash. That way they don't have to identify that there is a surcharge if you charge. I am sure that this doesn't apply to restaurants or hotels.

Janice

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 08:05 PM

Mabe words gotten around San Pedro..I have to say almost all Restaurants, vacation rentals,gift shops etc etc, still charge the credit card surcharge on Caye Caulker. We never use ours except for a trip we made to Hopkins it was a business trip so we wanted to use our business card as much as possible,The Hotel..and the 2 restaurants that took card all charged additional 5%. There was a big thing made of it in Placencia so mabe its under control there by now.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: visa or cash? - 03/05/08 09:48 PM

Janice, how and where do you get that cash discount? I spend lots of cash and get charged the same price as if I used my AMEX!! wink

(I have received discounts from MayaIsland Air and Tropic for using cash - just asked.)
Posted By: PSSunshinegal

Re: visa or cash? - 03/06/08 05:36 AM

Ambar's, Orange, Belizean Arts, two golf cart rentals, many of the stores on front street. In fact the same thing has happened on CC. I am trying to think of specific places that I have spent money. Like you, I have dropped a load and so it adds up. I am trying to think of how I know this. You know how some things aren't marked or you can't really read the little price tag, and you inquire how much it is, they have always come back and said what the price is, but if I pay cash, they can do better.

Janice
Posted By: Mikeywaz

Re: visa or cash? - 03/06/08 05:45 AM

Interesting. We used credit cards at 3 or 4 gift shops in town and didn't get charged extra. Same with day trips and golf cart rental. We used cards in San Pedro pretty much the same as we do here in the States and didn't have any problems of any kind.

Re: visa or cash? - 03/06/08 01:59 PM

Thats good..I have for years done what I could to inform tourist of this practice and to get vendors to stop..without turning anyone in to the bank, not so much that I wanted vendors to loose money, but it wasnt fare to the tourist or to the vendors that were following the rules...yes its true about the cash discount, most gift shops will give a discount...I give a discount..but you do have to ask.....
Posted By: rach

Re: visa or cash? - 03/31/08 07:47 PM

May be a silly question, but it mastercard accepted like visa? Only the bank screwed up our visa application and now it wont arrive before we leave on friday frown
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: visa or cash? - 03/31/08 10:10 PM

Master and Visa are each accepted in the same way. Amex is different, and many traders won't accept it at all.

The fact is that all these cards are expensive for traders to accept, so why not try to meet them halfway and bring travellers' cheques? They're accepted in the same way as cash, so long as they're completed correctly. Keep the cards for emergencies.
Posted By: rach

Re: visa or cash? - 03/31/08 10:30 PM

cheers! I have heard conflicting reports about travellers cheques so when we went to get our currency we just opted for US dollars. Have no time to go back into town now too, but nevermind!
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board