AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Otteralum Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/13/08 10:21 PM
Thoughts?

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/13/news/companies/delta_northwest/index.htm?postversion=2008041316
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/13/08 11:27 PM
I wouldn't know where to start with my thoughts...
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/13/08 11:32 PM
I would sleep with the Devil to get anybody in MEM other than Northwest.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/13/08 11:37 PM
(note to self, save this thread for later cuz carbunket may just have to eat his words)...

Obviously, others will have to merge as well, it will be very interesting to see...
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/13/08 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by travelqueen
(note to self, save this thread for later cuz carbunket may just have to eat his words)...

Obviously, others will have to merge as well, it will be very interesting to see...
LOL @ TQ,
The reason that I say this is that Northworst screws anyone who flies out of MEM. Our options are driving to Little Rock, AR (2hrs) or to Nashville (3hrs) to get a break on flights. There were rumors to Southwest coming to Tunica, MS (45min) but that fell short. Northwest needs the competition to lower some prices, a flight to Fayetteville, AR (Wallmart's HQ) is over 500.00 round trip.
Not everyone can fly out of IAH and be in Belize in 2 hours like some people I know...(cowering fearing that TQ will smack me next time she sees me!)
Obviously this is your field and I don't know all the facts but if you want to talk forklift parts then let me know grin

Posted By: travelqueen Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/14/08 12:01 AM
Who the heck has heard of Tunica? No one will end up there, I assure you... (will fear a smack as well).

Ya, well those 2 hour flights could be few and far between if the inevitable happens... no worries though.

Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/14/08 12:07 AM
There are good reasons to oppose monopolies.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/14/08 01:14 AM
Mergers are not monoploies
Posted By: Don Greife Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/14/08 04:27 AM
Will Continental be next?
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/14/08 05:42 PM
Don, very good sources say yes.
Posted By: pugwash Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/14/08 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by travelqueen
I wouldn't know where to start with my thoughts...

Sounds like just another day in TQ world!
Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/14/08 08:04 PM
as opposed to never knowing when to stop, eh, Pug??
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/14/08 09:50 PM
hehe -- ouch! cool
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/15/08 01:24 AM
As expected, done deal.
Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/15/08 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by immissing
Mergers are not monoploies

monopolies are born of mergers
Posted By: Shopgirl Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/15/08 03:01 AM
Just an update, just received this.

As a valued Northwest Airlines customer and WorldPerks® member, I wanted you to be among the first to hear that we have announced a merger with Delta Air Lines. Subject to regulatory review, our two airlines are joining forces to create America's premier global airline which, upon closing of the merger, will be called Delta Air Lines.

By combining Northwest and Delta, we are building a stronger, more resilient airline that will be a leader in providing customer service and value. Our combined airline will offer unprecedented access to the world, enabling you to fly to more destinations, have more flight choices and more ways than ever to earn and redeem your WorldPerks miles.

You can be assured that your WorldPerks miles and Elite program status will be unaffected by this merger. In addition, you can continue to earn miles through use of partners like WorldPerks Visa®. And once the new Delta Air Lines emerges you can look forward to being a part of the world's largest frequent flyer program with expanded benefits.

The combined Delta Air Lines will serve more U.S. communities and connect to more worldwide destinations than any global airline. Our hubs - both Delta's and Northwest's - will be retained and enhanced. We will be the only U.S. airline to offer direct service from the United States to all of the world's major business centers in Asia, Latin America, Europe, Africa and around North America.

Both airlines bring tremendous strengths to this new partnership. Our complementary service networks form an end-to-end system that is truly greater than the sum of its parts. This is a merger by addition, not subtraction, which means all of our hubs - both Northwest's and Delta's - will be retained. In addition, building on both airlines' proud, decades-long history of serving small communities, we plan to enhance global connections to small towns and cities across the U.S.

All of these positive benefits of our combination mean that we can:
Offer a true global network where our customers will be able to fly to more destinations, have more schedule options and more opportunities to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles in what will become the world's best and most comprehensive frequent flyer program.
Continue to serve our current roster of destinations and to maintain our hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York, Salt Lake City, Amsterdam and Tokyo.
Improve our customers' travel experience, through new products and services including enhanced self-service tools, better bag-tracking technology, more onboard services, including more meal options, new seats and refurbished cabins.
While we work to secure approval of our merger, which may take up to 6 to 8 months, it will be business-as-usual at both airlines. We will continue to operate as independent airlines and the people of Northwest will remain focused on providing you with the very best in safe, reliable and convenient air travel. At the same time, both airlines will be planning for a seamless integration of our two airlines, one that delivers to you the enhanced benefits that will earn - and retain - your preference.

As we work through this process, we will keep you informed at every step along the way. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you on your next Northwest flight.

Sincerely,

Bob Soukup
Managing Director, WorldPerks

Posted By: seashell Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/15/08 09:20 PM
http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/04/15/airline-consolidation-and-the-potential-doj-traffic-jam/
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/27/08 11:14 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/business/28air.html?hp
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/27/08 11:21 PM
Interesting. I need Continental to stay part of Sky Team. I have too many FF miles tied up with Sky Team.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/27/08 11:23 PM
Ya... I sorta wished they had merged but oh well... dang it! frown
Posted By: Don Greife Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 12:01 AM
Continental sometimes has "walmart international" on its "weekend specials" and you can get a ride from Faretteville >Houston> Bze. at about 1/2 price.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 03:00 AM
What is Walmart International?
Posted By: klcman Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 04:05 AM
No, he is referring to Walmart Hqtrs, located in Fayetteville, AR.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 12:06 PM
W-M Hdqs is in Bentonville, Ar, so I dont know waht he meant.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 05:26 PM
Yes, I do. It just dawned on me that the new regional airport, built just outside Bentonville, is still called the Fayetteville Airport.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 06:15 PM
Otter - Use those miles. Rumors have been on the block for a while that the ff programs will be soon be gone. Use them as soon as you get enough
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 11:20 PM
crap! This is how I get to Belize each year. The Otters can't afford $1400 just for airfare each trip.
Posted By: Don Greife Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 11:45 PM
The Word has it that Continental and American are talking about a "deal" that would allow them to code share. They may do it if the feds will OK it. I have milage on both and would like it they get together and do the code thing. Both fly from IAH to BZE regularly.
Posted By: klcman Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/28/08 11:48 PM
Code sharing will not permit you to consolidate mileage into one account.

(Nice save, E!)
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/29/08 12:01 AM
KLC, so E's record is 0-0 with one save? And his ERA (Ernie recovered average) .05?
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/29/08 01:25 AM
Thanks guys for all your support ! Dan, American does not fly Houston- Belize. Not to worry, Im planing a sharp rebuttal !
Posted By: Pair'O Dice Lost Re: Northwest - Delta Merger - 04/29/08 03:13 AM
The Airport is called XNA (Exchange Northwest Arkansas) Delta and American Eagle fly out there among others
www.nwara.com
I have a house in Fayetteville and work for Wal-mart so I go there a lot, great little airport. Go Razorbacks.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board