AmbergrisCaye.com Home

International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea

Posted By: deadserious

International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/07/08 10:13 PM

Actually, I think it would be a great asset to the island to have international arrivals into SP so long as there wasn't a need for significant airport expansion.

But I thought there should be a thread for everyone to jump in and say how bad the idea is... so go for it.
Posted By: weile

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/07/08 10:50 PM

Well, you asked for it: It is an idiotic idea. Serves no purpose other than ruining what is left of the uniqueness of this place and turning it into yet another Playa del Carmen nightmare.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/07/08 11:34 PM

Preach it Weile!
Posted By: reaper

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 12:42 AM

The island already has international arrivals...by parachute every February!
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 01:32 AM

Many folks arrive here from International destinations, by boat.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 02:20 AM

Cuba?
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 02:24 AM

I'm with Weile. 99.5% of the tourists are already international arrivals . . . getting there is half the fun. . okay, maybe not half, but there's a certain rustic charm, nonetheless.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 03:46 AM

Not if you're coming from Europe. It's a nightmare.
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 01:31 PM

agreed. I would likely not come to San Pedro if it were served by any form of mass international transit.

The simple extra steps to get to San Pedro are just enough to keep away those with no desire to acquiesce to another culture and appreciate it for what it is.

I've seen the transformation of NW Costa Rica since the opening of the airport in Liberia. For Costa Rica, it's great because touristas can quickly spread to thousands of square miles from there and disappear into the culture. This is not possible in San Pedro due to its size and it would be destroyed.

imnsho smile
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by pedro2

Define "nightmare."

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 03:55 PM

Nightmare = Wrongfully imprisoned and sodomized by the TSA?

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 03:58 PM

Then why do people keep coming back for more!
Posted By: LoveH20

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 05:44 PM

I think an international airport is a good way to ruin a good thing.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme

Define "nightmare."

why more so than the US or Canada? simply the amount of time to get there?
Posted By: purdygrl

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by sweetjane

Define "nightmare."

The reason more so from Canada and the US is that most European flights have to overnight in the US increasing cost and reducing amount of vacation time in Belize. Plus for some people they have to get visas for the states and belize again increasing the cost of the trip.
Yes most Canadian and American visitors have to change flights at least once.
But I will tell you it is most frustrating going thru customs in your own country then landing in the states and doing it all again sometimes twice. If we want to increase tourism forget International Arrivals in San Pedro lets just work on getting them to Belize City. Or better yet flights from Cancun or Playa to San Pedro.
Posted By: Bobber

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 08:13 PM

Hmmm, are there any Cancun to BZE flights? Probably not, but that would be a good first step.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 08:31 PM

don't think so, bobber.

thanks, purdy. now i understand a bit better.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 08:40 PM

It's probably our fault that Belize is closer to us than it is to Europe. laugh

consider the logistics, quite apparent in the hub system here in the US. If you had enough people to fill a flight from, oh, say Toronto to BZE, bingo, a possible direct flight. Never happen. They would fly to a place in the US where they could gather enough passengers together to fill up the flight. From Europe? How many folks heading to Belize would justify a transoceanic flight? How about enough people going to NY? Their possible destinations being just about anywhere. Follow the money. Jane, :P
Posted By: Chloe

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 08:56 PM

I believe during high season there is a direct flight from Toronto to BZE on Thursdays.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 09:01 PM

OK, I stand corrected, but the principle remains the same. Good eye there, Chloe. smile

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 09:04 PM

clarification: i didnt mean i didnt think it was a good idea, i meant i was pretty sure there was no CUN-BZE flights.

i very rarely question the bobber logic wink

Posted By: Chloe

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 09:06 PM

LOL. Bobber no problem. I just know someone that takes advantage of those flights.
Posted By: azbob

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/08/08 11:24 PM

My .02: More flights into BC, but economics drive this. (Selfishly I want a flight direct from Phoenix to BC.)
I really ejoyed the Tropic flight to and from BC to SP. The view was great and it only added about 1 hour to the day, but well worth it. I stayed at Ruby's and didn't hear 1 airplane the entire 10 days form the hotel. I don't think that would be the case with 727's, etc. flying direct to SP.
Posted By: ExOkie

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by purdygrl
Originally Posted by sweetjane

Define "nightmare."

The reason more so from Canada and the US is that most European flights have to overnight in the US increasing cost and reducing amount of vacation time in Belize. Plus for some people they have to get visas for the states and belize again increasing the cost of the trip.
Yes most Canadian and American visitors have to change flights at least once.
But I will tell you it is most frustrating going thru customs in your own country then landing in the states and doing it all again sometimes twice. If we want to increase tourism forget International Arrivals in San Pedro lets just work on getting them to Belize City. Or better yet flights from Cancun or Playa to San Pedro.

The only way it could be better for European visitors is if one airline in one major city (say Frankfurt, Amsterdam or London) would schedule a weekly flight to BZE. That's driven by demand especially with today's fuel costs. They'd want to be flying some full planes so they'd really have to see that as viable.

I like it that AC remains a place that it takes some doing to get to.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 06:39 AM

Amanda - I was referring to the statement that the journey here was half the fun. If you have to come via the USA it can be a very unpleasant experience, not to say interminable. I know it CAN go smoothly, but isn't my experience nor that of many other people.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 12:48 PM

It surprises me that Lufthansa flies nonstop from Europe to the island of Bonaire. If they can fill a plane to Bonaire, why not to Belize?

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 12:52 PM

$$$

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 02:08 PM

ExOkie has pointed out something important. Having travelled a goodly portion of the Carib. destinations, it has become apparent that the places that are a little more involved getting to definitely attract a specific type of tourist. How many of you (us) out there like to spend your vacation time with people who are of like interest and temperament? How many of you enjoy the company of your fellow tourists on AC?. I would venture to say that most of the repeat visitors to AC bump into a whole heck of a lot of folks whose company they enjoy.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 03:54 PM

I will drink to that, Bobber! One of the benefits of AC.
Posted By: elbert

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 04:28 PM

Montego Bay Jamaica has an international airport close by and its ruin to anyones good time to have those deafening Jets take off and land over the hotel 5 or 6 times daily.
window shaking noise for that area stops conversations untill it passes. The PR people came up with a good one , every soul stops what they are doing and waves at the sky saying 'Come Back to Jamaica'.
What else could you do.
We are soooooo lucky not to have international flights land on the island. It would probably knock the coconuts out of the trees and wake the sleeping dogs in the streets.
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 04:42 PM

Good Point Elbert, I say leave it the way it is. If it were easy then everyone would do it.
Layovers/boat transfers - 2 hours of your life
Being on San Pedro and soaking it all in - Priceless!

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 07:08 PM

I don't think anyone is proposing jets landing on AC... I'd just want a direct flight from Cancun to AC...
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 08:34 PM

I was disappointed when sp got a lighted landing strip!
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 08:45 PM

Why Gay???

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 08:55 PM

The lighted airstrip is a lifesaver when the medevac chopper comes to get someone in distress.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 09:02 PM

i hate progress, if that is what you want to call it.
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 09:15 PM

Why would one want International flights to San Pedro? That is just nutty. It would be fine for me to fly from Belize City to Cancun. I would end up doing all my shopping that way and the Belize economy could suffer but I don't buy that much. Sam's Club is a big draw.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 10:00 PM

...so family members with limited physical mobility will have minimal excuses to not visit.

There are many direct flights to Cancun and a two-hopper is much easier than a 3 or 4 hopper and the shorter flights are easier on elderly bodies.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/09/08 10:40 PM

deadserious -- I think you have been very reasonable in your rationale and the benefits you mention are indeed valid. I just think most feel the cons outweigh the pros.

Cancun may as well be Miami for all the traffic that runs through it. I hear ya when you say "just Cancun," but you may as well be saying New York, Houston, or Miami as far as the impact it would have on the island.
Posted By: BamaB's

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/10/08 12:38 AM

It would certainly change the island from what it is now, regardless. I prefer it stay the way it is.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/10/08 01:39 AM

Is it just flights that you would be against? Would a direct ferry service between Cancun and SP also be taboo?
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/10/08 02:02 PM

It would be hard on those old bones
Posted By: reaper

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/10/08 08:17 PM

For the final time, a direct flight from Cancun to SP is NOT economical for the carrier due to the taxes, fuel, maintenance, employee costs and the limited runway and taxiway space and parking area.
And dealing with the Mexican Government.
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/10/08 11:29 PM

could you repeat that Reaper I missed it!
Posted By: javi226

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/11/08 04:03 AM

The original tread about international flights, I believe was really making reference about same size aircrafts as those already operating in the country, it was really about making the process of entering the country easier for private aircrafts and charters I guess (customs/immigration)which is not a stupid idea in my opinion.... in fact it can help attract the jetset and wealthy businesspeople from the centralamerican countries and mexico.
And in reference to the playadel carmen nightmare, it´s not really due to their allowing international flights, in fact more than 90% of visitors to playa del carmen, enter the country via cancun´s airport and then take a transfer to playa. Playa del carmen has an airstrip similar to that of SPR, and only caters to domestic aircrafts like caravans and smaller jets. Playa del carmen´s urban problems are as a result of unplanned growth. Something we ought to learn from.... Growth is imminent,everybody wants a little piece of our paradise, we might as well plan for it ahead of time.
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/11/08 04:41 AM

Close the airport...and make it a truck bypass. The terminal would make a great truck stop.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/12/08 03:56 PM

"STUCKEYS"
YES, EVERYONE LOVES A NUT NUGET LOG

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/12/08 07:46 PM

Chicken Fried Steak, hash browns, slathered with sausage gravy...and a fried plantain on da side laugh

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/12/08 07:48 PM

...and beautiful, classy truck stop jewlery for the gials.
Posted By: Hon

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/12/08 07:54 PM

I'm gonna need bigger hair.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/12/08 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Thornton
Chicken Fried Steak, hash browns, slathered with sausage gravy...and a fried plantain on da side laugh

Go to George's!!!

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/13/08 07:27 AM

I understand that George puts on quite a breakfast...for those who wake-up in the AM. The Tex-widows used to cook up a great chicken fried steak dinner at the ole Hide-Away For us slackers, Estelle's does breakfast all day...but, no chicken fried steak.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/13/08 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by GAY AND DAVID
"STUCKEYS"
YES, EVERYONE LOVES A NUT NUGET LOG

mmmmmm, nut nuget logs! laugh

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/13/08 08:21 PM

i also have all of the "state" plates. david's mom had them & his momo too. she even had hawaii. do you think they have stuckeys in hawaii? hopie can you clarify that pls.
Posted By: denverdan

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/13/08 11:04 PM

Nope... no stuckeys here Gay. Though with AT&T and Aloha not flying anymore maybe opening one out here will bring the tourists back and they wouldn't mind paying them high airfare tickets!

Hummmm

Hopie yelling now with a big ole light bulb over her head… DAAAN… OOOO DAAAAN… I HAVE AN ANOTHER IDEAAAA!!!
Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/16/08 10:13 PM

Prime Minister Dean Barrow
“Arrangements are being made to facilitate the movement of regional tourists across our borders through the implementation of a tourist card program and through the improvement of air traffic between Cancun and Belize. These measure will be accompanied by special promotions of Belize to these at hand markets.”

Improvement of air traffic between Cancun and Belize? Hmmmmmm.....the Prime Minister must not think this idea is so stupid!

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 05:22 AM

"Improvement of air traffic between Cancun and Belize?" Probably means Belize City to Cancun, not to SP. At least I hope so!

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 02:10 PM

Well, let's think about that. AC is the #1 tourist destination of Belize. The most important source of income for Belize is tourism. So it's logical to see that establishing a Cancun - Belize air connection will mostly be a Cancun - AC connection.

Now the only question is, will a direct to AC connection be established or will the government continue to require a stop at BZE prior to coming to AC?

If the goal (of the government) is increased tourism (which it is) then it certainly makes sense to make arriving as hassel free and economical as posible. AC is responsible for generating the majority of the tourism dollars therefore a direct to AC route is logical and not "a stupid idea".
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 02:21 PM

Direct commercial flights to AC IS stupid, unless you like the noise of loud, whining jet engines. I hope I never see it. Not sure the runways will support larger jets as they are were built for small singles.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 02:23 PM

Twin Otters

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 02:26 PM

The plan hasnt even been in motion or even put together, but you know the type aircraft ? Wow

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by immissing
Not sure the runways will support larger jets as they are were built for small singles.

Built for twin otters- at that time.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 02:51 PM

Umm, let's see here. Extend the runway for jets, larger terminal, room for customs and immigration, support for the tourist populace. Welcome to San Pedro, the town with only 3 original buildings left. Small commuter flights would be much more feasible. Or, service to BZE would be the best solution, leave AC as it pretty much is and KEEP it the place that people WANT to go to. Just my opinion.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 02:57 PM

AMEN!!!

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 02:58 PM

I agree. Hey Bobber, every day is a weekend now !

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 03:09 PM

No one but the "anti-growth" or "anti-developement" people have said anything about jets.

Those opposed to new construction, new developements, increased air traffic and increased tourist arrivals are opposed to the current government and the Belizean people it serves. Tourist dollars drive the Belize economy. The Belize citizens rely on those dollars for their livelihood.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 03:58 PM

Im sure you have the concerns of the Belizean people in your heart.

NOT !

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 07:21 PM

How do you know what my concerns are? YOU DON'T!

Not that I have to justify to you, but I am a physcian wanting to relocate to AC and offer OB services including surgical procedures. Currently if a woman needs a C/S delivery, D&C, or tubal ligation she must be flown (sometimes in labor) to Belize City to get these services. With the number of deliveries occuring on the island this is a potiential serious threat to the unborn child and mother.

Yes, some of my desire to see AC grow and develope services like better health care, better emergency services (fire & police), better garbage disposal, more water and sewer services are selfish in motivation.

Your motivation is completely selfish.

"Every day is a weekend" is not how the Belizean people live and it's not my plan for when I do relocate. Those of you who get to just sit on your ass every day, drink beer and bitch about growth and us pesky tourist / future residents need to stop bitch'n and get to buying up all the remaining land so you can keep it as is. If you can't afford to buy up all the land then you have to live with what gets built on it. You can gripe all you like but that doesn't change a thing.
Posted By: elbert

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 07:35 PM

Good morning Belizenus
:-)

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 08:11 PM

BNUs. I am a retired business Sr Ex of a billion dollar company. I lived there for 2 years and departed in '02 as it was getting too crowded for me then. What I do with my time is none of your damn business either. I still love SP and visit 3-4 times a year. If I choose to sit on my ass, drink beer and bitch, you better belive I will. For you "GOD LIKE" people, do and say what you wish and expect a few comments in return. Have a good life.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 08:56 PM

I would be a lot more interested in seeing a full blown ob/gyn clinic with full services on this island than seeing jets flying in directly from Cancun.

I am still distressed and dismayed that Dr. Tina hasn't been able to secure a license to practice medicine in Belize after 9 years of applying and jumping through hoops. We do indeed desperately need an operating theatre for child birth emergencies. As always the main reason we don't have these facilities is because of the lack of money to set the clinics up and to run them.

I remember years ago when the Harrier fighter jets would "buzz" the island and I can remember one sitting on the San Pedro airstrip too.

Anyway, I think people are getting too heated and begining to make personal attacks again. Can we try and cool off a little please.

Thanks A
Posted By: kwalkpt

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 09:10 PM

Amen, Amanda - Without Dr. Tina here there is no doctor here to deal with severe emergencies! And lately there have been NO doctors on the island on the weekends - great for tourism!
Posted By: ron

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 05/17/08 09:39 PM

BNU not sure what being a physician wanting to move to Belize and AC has to do with whether SP should have international arrivals. Does it mean you can come and go more frequently? What is the benefit to Belize? It would seem better for the country if the tourist dollar were spent in more places that AC. There are many incredible places on the mainland. Personally, AC is still to busy for me, I just bought land on the north island of CC. As my brother-in-law put it that gives us 3 layers from the jet setters, first they move into SP, then CC and then maybe the north island. If you are really interested in the development of the country of Belize you'd want to see other areas of the country developed. The environment can only handle so much development. Water, sanitation, traffic, trash collection are just some of the pressures that SP is facing and to encourage more growth just puts more strain on an already stretched local government. By the way are you lisenced to practise in Belize. If so bring your clinic to SP I'm sure you'd have enough business you'd never need the airport.

Re: International arrivals to SP is a stupid Idea - 02/21/10 11:54 PM

Reserected from the past!!!!!!!!!!!!
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board