AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: merc What can we bring into the country? - 06/15/08 08:29 PM
Speaking of stuff like food and beverages?
Is it okay to bring in packaged foods and alcoholic beverages like wine and spirits?
How about over the counter and prescription medications?
Posted By: dabunk Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/15/08 11:42 PM
Packaged foods usually OK, wine and such 1 or 2 liters per person. Meds are fine as long as you have the prescription on the bottle to show, OTC not a problem unless you bring a large quantity.
Posted By: ExOkie Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/16/08 09:21 PM
This got me to thinking. What about buying wine and spirits at the Duty Free stores in BZE on the way to San Pedro? The prices are pretty cheap. Will Maya/TropicAir allow you to carry wine and liquor on their planes? Will the stores sell it to you if you're on the last leg of an international flight?

Posted By: sweetjane Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/16/08 09:26 PM
you can't. duty free is only for international travelers. they will ask to see your boarding pass to see where you are going, and deny you unless you are flying out of the country. even then (if you could) the limit is what debunk said.

the tropic flight is not considered your last leg (to them, anyway). it is an intra-country flight.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/16/08 10:33 PM
Tropic & Maya will only allow you to carry liquods in your baggage, so make sure you have enough room if you're bringing in booze.
Posted By: BamaB's Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/17/08 02:11 AM
Don't worry about the duty-free, go to the booze-store a few blocks from the airport & get the local stuff, it tastes better anyway !!
Posted By: merc Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/19/08 08:29 AM
Thank you to everyone for all the fantastic advice and help.

As it is, my retirement has not gone as well as expected, and so we are trying to do as much with the money we have as we can.

That said, previously, we would love to just get everything on the caye and in country but as it is, we'd also like to do more than eat and drink and stuff like diving, cave tubing, lining, and boating up the river to the ruins isn't cheap.

So, considering that taking this vacation will cost me my current job(after a year they are refusing to honor my paid vacation since I am a commission only manager)and my retirement doesn't kick in until I get to 59.5 years old, I need to make due while not passing my money stress onto my kids... who I hope still think of me as the breadwinner I used to be before I retired.

So, that's why I am looking to bring stuff like packaged foods and some booze with me so I can afford to buy more and experience more while I am on AC.

We are also in the process of getting our dive stuff fixed since we haven't used it in awhile.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Take Care,

merc

Posted By: sweetjane Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/19/08 02:53 PM
sent you a pm, merc.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/19/08 03:38 PM
You can save a lot of money if you skip the inland stuff this trip. Why not just come out and immerse yourself in the island life style? If you sign up with one dive shop for five days of diving they will usually give you a discount. You can snorkel free at many places here. Don't bother to rent a golf cart - those are expensive - walk - bike or occasionally take a taxi.
Stay at the low cost places and spend time talking to people on the beach.
I learned a lot about this place simply by sitting outside of Mannelly's ice cream and visiting with who ever sat down with me.
RELAX - your children should be thinking about taking care of you - your job should be done!
Posted By: margarita Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/19/08 05:31 PM
Hey merc - what Scuba Lady said - plus it is less expensive if you drink what the locals drink. Having a particular liquor is more expensive and less available. duty free only allows each passenger so many bottles duty free - Ibelieve you can purchase more but then you will have to pay the duty tax on those. Wine & many Liquors are available in San Pedro that are relatively affordable ie not extremely expensive. If you & yours enjoy rum punch you are in luck!
Belize it!
Posted By: jhill123 Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/19/08 08:24 PM
On my way to AC, I found the Duty Free shop to be the best deal around for non local spirits. I stocked up on extras and figured even with the tax, it would be less expensive than buying locally, ie, a 1.75L bottle of Absolute was $26 US at Duty Free and last time I looked, a 1L bottle was $40+ US in AC. Now, that being said, Rum is my new favorite drink, especially the 1 Barrel, and very inexpensive.
Posted By: seashell Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/20/08 02:45 AM
Can someone please remind me?

If I buy a duty free bottle in Houston, am I allowed to carry it on Tropics to the island? I'd swear I did that on the last trip, but things being what they are, it makes no sense that I'd have been able to do that.

Please advise. And thanks in advance.
Posted By: gailtor Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/20/08 03:38 AM
No SS, you now have to put that bottle into your checked luggage at Tropic. At least I had to do that on my last trip. Like SweetJane said on another post, be sure to leave room for the bottle.. cool
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/20/08 03:59 PM
gailtor, you're absolutely right.....it's been that way ever since the minimum liquids requirement has been in effect.
Also for the smokers, the US allows a lighter to be carried in your pocket. Belize does not.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/20/08 04:44 PM
Wade, I ran into that last time down.....emptied my pocket into the tray while going through security prior to boarding Tropic Air and they confiscated my lighter......I told them it was now allowed in the US and said they hadn't received any word on it yet.
In our travels we have found that the security is not standardized between countries or even airports in the same country. The US requires you to take off your shoes and allows a lighter other countries do not. Some allow knitting needles some do not and Continental serves a drink with a long hard plastic stir stick that could easily do harm to someone... Some airlines (Air Jamaica) will have a secondary security check at the gate before you are allowed to board the plane... You would think the airport security would be the same for all countries if the planes are landing in or flying over the other countries....
Posted By: susie8888 Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/21/08 03:21 PM
No SS, you now have to put that bottle into your checked luggage at Tropic. At least I had to do that on my last trip. Like SweetJane said on another post, be sure to leave room for the bottle..

OK - not to sound repetitive, but is this what is allowed? You buy the booze at the duty-fee in the US, carry it on the plane, and then when you arrive in BC, transfer it to your checked bag (which I assumes comes to you before it goes to the plane taking you to AC)- I have done my share of traveling, and I would think if some airport personnel saw this, you may get it taken away. Does anyone have a comment on this? Thanks-- Susie
Posted By: JZB Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/21/08 03:29 PM
Susie, before transfering to your Tropic Flight you need to pass through immigration, then collect your luggage, then customs, then you proceed to Tropic and check in your bag again.

Tropic Air does not have a problem with you bringing on liquids (you can bring a case of booze from AC TO BC), the issue arises when you go through security in BC. The Tropic Air waiting area is the same as the international flights and so you have to pass through the same security screening as going on an International flight.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/21/08 03:37 PM
pretty much, yes. and, if you have a layover within the US on the way back, any liquids you buy at the bz airport (hot sauce, rum, etc) has to be put into your checked luggage at your US connection point.

for example, say you are flying home from Bz to TX to NY, you must put liquid containers into the checked luggage in TX, or will be taken at that entry point. and it's a damn shame if they do.

if they see you, it will not be taken. it is legal to bring it in, but against TSA rules to carry it on the plane. even when you buy duty free, they hand it to you right before you board (unlike the old days). the thinking is that the container cannot be tampered with and used in a harmful manner between duty-free and your destination.

but like barnacle pointed out, you could kill someone with the pen you use to fill your forms out, but that's allowed. crazy, huh?
Posted By: susie8888 Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/21/08 03:37 PM
Thanks JZB. I know this all depends on the person and their mood, but has anyone had their luggage completely rifled thru at security in BC? I have in Tunisia and Pakistan. Just wondering...
Posted By: klcman Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/21/08 07:32 PM
My experience has been that BZE tends to target scruffy looking backpackers quite stringently.

The longest it has taken me, in the past 10 years, to clear customs has been about 3 minutes.
Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/21/08 07:49 PM
I wouldn't say "completely rifled thru" in BC, but each time I have had anything other than my own carryon, mine has always been gone through - generally they go through all of the boxes of school supplies and SAGA supplies we have, but don't take everything out. Ended up in quarantine once due to dog biscuits, otherwise never took longer than about 10 to 15 minutes.
lol I must look like a scruffy backpacker (yet with the maximum luggage possible). Every time I go back to the states and come back into Belize I am searched. And they take everything out of your suitcase however as mentioned only takes 10 minutes and they put it all back in.

Posted By: susie8888 Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/21/08 09:20 PM
Why the dog biscuits of all things? I guess I am just afraid they will take advantage of the fact I may not know all the "rules" and take something. When I do finally come, and it may be in the next month or so, (crazy work stuff)- I want to bring some things to give to the school(s), other misc. things. Good thing people always think I'm the "cheerleader" sort (if they only knew...) - I have even come back from Amsterdam several times and never even searched or sniffed by the dogs! If I had only known... wink I just want to make sure what I bring is not confiscated by the "authorities" (no, I am not transporting anything from A-dam) Susie
No idea on the dog biscuit thing cause I always bring at least a one lb dog biscuit bag in and natural rawhide bones. They take them out and put them in. If they are in a zip lock or un labeled bag maybe they take them away. My mom always brings me them too when she visits me and never had any issues.

Also nice if you're looking to donate to pick up dog/cat collars and toys for SAGA. A lot of dollar stores have great collars and toys.

Here is their donation wish list

WISH LIST

Syringes: 1ml and 3 ml especially

Sterile surgical gloves : size 7 or 7 �

Telfa pads(non-adherent wound pads)

Absorbable suture (vicryl/pds 2-0 and 3-0)

Nonabsorbable suture 2-0 and 3-0

Vetwrap

Micro drip IV infusion sets

Scalpel blades - #10 and #15 especially

Medium and small exam gloves

Needle holders w/ scissors

Canine urinary catheters

Pill poppers

Shelter:

Pooper Scoopers

Stainless steel bowls - all sizes

Bowls that attach to kennel doors
Collars and leashes - all sizes

Quick release/safety cat collars

Cat toys (balls, mice, ect.)

Cat and dog treats/toys

Old newspaper

Old but intact towels

Parasite control - ivermectin, selamectin products, frontline, preventic collars ect. - expiration date not important

Items that are always needed / Day to Day:

Purina puppy food - dry

Canned dog and puppy food

Purina cat chow - dry

Canned cat and kitten food

Cat litter

Litter boxes - including small sizes

Used towels, sheets, blankets

Old newspapers

Bleach

Laundry detergent

Paper towels

Antibacterial liquid dish soap

Trash bags (13 and 55 gallon)

Equipment:

**#40 or #50 blade for an Oster Golden A-5 2 speed clipper

straight razor blade # 5

Adjustable high power light for surgery

Crash cart (rolling table with drawers)

Industrial size mop bucket

IV pole

Patient monitoring devices: pulse oximeter, Doppler blood pressure, ect.

New Computer

Computer monitor

Printer paper

Ink for canon Pixma iP1000 (BCI 24)

Wet/Dry Vacuum (shop-vac)

Humane Cat Traps/Squeeze Cage

Surgical instrument stand

Drugs:
50% Dextrose

Potassium Chloride

Flouroquinolone antibiotics

Doxycycline

Clavamox liquid or pills

Clindamycin liquid or pills

Triple antibiotic - ophthalmic

Panalog (Topical ear preparations)

TMPS

NSAID (carprofen, ect.)

Prednisone tablets

Praziquantel injectable (Droncit - large bottle 50ml if available)

Praziquantel tablets

Praziquantel/pyrantel +/- fenbendazole cats (Drontal/Parol T Plus)

Injectables:

Injectable antibiotics (ampicillin, cefazolin)
Metoclopramide
NSAID
OTHER:

"AA" Batteries
"AAA" Rechargable Duracell Batteries Or compatible.
Raised dog beds - canvas on plastic or metal poles.Click here for an example.

Engraver (for identification tags)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: susie8888 Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/21/08 11:08 PM
Thanks for such comprehensive list!! I guess I should charter a boat for all these things? smile I will do what I can and perhaps PM you when I KNOW I will actually be there - I want to help but I can't bring 50 lbs. of cat litter!! smile
just bring what you are able for either the school or SAGA and they will be appreciative. Things like collars, toys, bowls, are light along with some others. You can drop it off to SAGA or PM any of us who are on the island and we'll pick it up from you and take it there.
Posted By: Sarahvch Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/22/08 12:02 AM
I have a question. We are coming to visit for the first time next Thursday. During my research and planning for this trip I read about SAGA. I had planned on bringing some supplies however my fiance suggested that I just bring cash. I thought that the supplies would be best as they must be hard to obtain. Can someone help me here? Also I was a vet tech for a long time and am able to get some of the meds needed however are they going to let me bring those into the country?
Thanks for any help.
Sarah
Yes! They will let you get the meds into the country (however depends on the quantity.) I am going to PM you the vet's info and email. She responds quick to emails. I think they'd really appreciate those items, very kind of you. Keli
Posted By: seashell Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/22/08 10:01 AM
Why are you people getting your bags ransacked? I haven't had my bags searched for a very long time.

Last time I was asked if I owned a place in Belize, but I just raised an eyebrow and said no, I don't (which I don't). I know it probably looks funny since I have so much luggage with me, but I've got all my dive gear and I pack like the princess that I am.

As for my bottle of booze problem, I've got a special box. A couple of trips ago, I bought a bottle at duty free in BZ and once at Houston transfer, they wanted to take it away from me. After a little discussion, it turned out that all I had to do was go over to the Continental counter and buy the special box (for $20) to pack my $8 bottle of booze. The Continental rep, set my bottle inside the box, taped it all up, slapped a luggage barcode on it, handed me a luggage tag with matching code, my box went off down the conveyer and I went and caught my plane home to Canada. Once in Canada, my large bags all arrived well before my bottle box came in at a different area, but it was in one piece.

On my last trip to BZ, I took that special box with me and used it again for the bottle's trip home. And I'll do the same again. Guess I'll just have to make sure to pack my Houston duty free bottle in that box and make sure it is safely wrapped in soft stuff before letting Tropic baggage handlers get hold of my luggage.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my luggage has made it around the world a couple of times with only minor nicks but any time they come off of a Tropic flight, there's usually some serious damage or other. I accept this because I take so much luggage and I know that Tropic makes sure we all get all of our bags, and so it has to be stuffed in those little planes somehow. smile

Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/22/08 06:08 PM
Couldn't say what the deal was with the dog biscuits - it was a 40lb bag in a box with a lot of other SAGA stuff. Someone on this messageboard (I think Jesse?) said it had something to do with mad cow disease. Who knows!?

In addition to SAGA I'm a big fan of the library. It serves all of the children on the island rather than just the students who might attend any particular school. Books, art supplies, pencils - the library is in constant need.

Seashell - of course they wouldn't rifle through the luggage of a princess! smile
Posted By: Sarahvch Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/22/08 06:14 PM
*I Do* Belize Weddings I just wanted to thank you for your help in contacting the vet at SAGA. I have read about the needs of the shelter in Belize but most people don't have the contact information needed to ensure that the items I purchase can be brought into the country without problems at customs.
Animals have always been an important part of my life and anything I can do to help the unwanted I want to do.
Thank you again. I will be shopping Monday and my vet will be gathering the allowed items this week.
Sarah
Posted By: SP Daily Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/22/08 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Leah-Ann
Couldn't say what the deal was with the dog biscuits - it was a 40lb bag in a box with a lot of other SAGA stuff. Someone on this messageboard (I think Jesse?) said it had something to do with mad cow disease. Who knows!?

Check this out:
http://www.baha.bz/
Posted By: t42 Re: What can we bring into the country? - 06/23/08 03:52 AM
I know this is a San Pedro board but help for our four legged friends is DESPERATE in Belize City.......
Sure thing. It's important to help everywhere. Can you please provide some background of what is needed/where? I'll see what I can do to get some items in the city...
Posted By: cheshire54 Re: What can we bring into the country? - 07/07/08 01:55 AM
I noticed you mentioned the library in your post. I believe that besides the children's library that there's a section in the library for adults??? I have a full set of matched hardbound Agatha Christie books that I'd like to donate to the library for both adults and older children. My problem is how to get them down there? They are too heavy to put in my suitcase--especially since all we bring down is our 'carryon' bags. Any suggestions?
Nancy
Posted By: merc Re: What can we bring into the country? - 07/09/08 05:38 PM
We didn't get our bags searched... thank goodness.

Brought in lots of pasta and rice side dishes, canned stuff, cerial, couple bottles of wine, 2 packages hot dogs, 3 lbs hamburger and 2 pork tenderloins.

Since we've been here also bought gal milk, 2 loaves bread, 3 dozen eggs and lots of veggies and fruits from a street stand just down the dirt road from our house.
Posted By: Dutch Re: What can we bring into the country? - 07/10/08 03:55 AM
Hey I DO...can you pm me the info re the vet as well. I have a friend who is a vet. I'll see what I can bring in August. Always glad to help out SAGA and the critters, but don't need the body-cavity search for bringing in the wrong meds. Not a good way to start a vacation...for me...not that there's anything wrong with that...for those of you who may like that sort of thing...
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board