AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Visit on the cheap...

Posted By: clinemick

Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 09:06 PM

Hi all, We did Ambergris Caye last year for our honeymoon and went all out with Victoria House and also stayed on caulker for a few nights at Seaside. It was wonderful and we fell in love with it. AND concieved our first child there, who is now 3 months old!
Anyhow, we are hoping to go back next July with our son who will be 15 months old. This time we are wanting to go on the cheap. We love laid back places with good people.
Could you recomend some inexpensive places to stay for a reasonable price that would allow a child? I think last time someone suggested Corona Del Mar...is that still a good option?
We are also thinking of inviting my parents, so places with 2 bedrooms would be a great option.
Thank you so much.
Do you think the airfare will EVER go down?! :o(. That is what may prevent our return, but I hope not.
:o) Caroline
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 09:29 PM

Experts predict airfare will only go up as fuel costs rise. Not a good thing for travelers. Glad I purchased my tix months ago!
Posted By: elbert

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 11:23 PM

I'm so tired of hearing that LaurieMar,.. sorry but what did you pay?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/225034-airfare-belize.html
can you log on to this with out having to join scubaboard?
$664. r/t continental
sorry for snaping at you I just have this thing about the hysteria over prices going up.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 11:26 PM

there are lots of options out there, as 'cheap' can sometimes be a relative term.

use the lodging link here (see top of page), it is a great resource where you can find pics, locations, and pricing of the many places AC offers.

good luck!

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 11:29 PM

http://www.sidestep.com/

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 11:42 PM

If they don't get you for fuel, they will hit you for a fee to check luggage, or a fee for this or a fee for that.

And, it has gone up $200 since I booked my fare - I don't know where in the world you are getting at RT fare from $664 - not from my hometown airport. But, no matter, I will still travel! LOL

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 11:44 PM

BTW, hardley "hysteria", just unfortunate and an inconvenience.

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 11:49 PM

I'm hearing prices like 650,r/t 700 r/t and 800. is that high or low.
did you click on the scuba forum site?

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 11:53 PM

"Been watching airfares to Belize City for a while. From my little town, it has been running about $825. For some reason, the flight that I wanted on Continental was $664 on airfare.com, this evening."

"So I snagged it. Not great but will do. This is more than $100 cheaper than Continental's own site.
We booked a flight a few weeks ago for $850. This is out of Syracuse, NY with 2 layovers. If we had moved earlier it would have been high $700s."

This is what I'm reading

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 06/30/08 11:57 PM

I remember the good ole days when I paid $450, with taxes for RT to Belize from Northern Calif. I used an award ticket with Continental for Thanksgiving week this year, but my traveling companion paid full price for his ticket and it is now $200 more for same ticket.

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:03 AM

Don't 'good old days' me, young lady. :-0 I paid $269.r/t to Luxembourg from NYC in the 60's :-)
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:09 AM

Our tickets purchased this month......sky high for Novemeber 08.
Milwaukee to BZE $1108.05
San Antonio to BZE 1015.53
Harlingen to BZE 934.56
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:14 AM

My ticket with USAirways went up almost $300.00 return over the month.
Just noticed that Air Canada is now charging $22.00 for advance seat selection. Next thing will be a charge to use the restroom! lol

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:14 AM

Elbert, well thank you very much for saying "young lady" LOL

Ouch Chloe! The paid ticket we have for November from Northern California is about $400 cheaper than yours from SA to Belize and it is twice as close! Next thing you know, the airlines will be selling vaseline along with their tickets.

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:15 AM

ouch!
Posted By: Ambergris Bob

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:22 AM

$680 Memphis to BZE rt bought 2 weeks ago for Jan 09. About $50 higher than past trips. Can you put a price on paradise??? Well probabaly yes, but we still love it.
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:37 AM

I just checked DTW (Detroit) to BZE on Continental, $700.00. About what I paid last year. What the hell, see you in February!!!!!
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BJ in TN
$680 Memphis to BZE rt bought 2 weeks ago for Jan 09. About $50 higher than past trips. Can you put a price on paradise??? Well probabaly yes, but we still love it.

Clinemick - Congrats on the child, hope you didn't name them Belkin or something like that! laugh
A friend just booked last week for the July 4th weekend from Memphis and paid $700 and change so my advice is to search often and you can get lucky.

Oh and did I mention that I just have 2 more working days then I am down there? crazy

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 12:51 AM

Possibly Thanksgiving week, traveling on weekends, made our tickets higher, but we have to be there then, for a special event.

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 01:02 AM

$650 phl to bze for american thru miami- i opted to pay $35/pp more to fly usair NOT thru miami. about $100 more than last year.

looks like we'll be down end of august smile

cbunk - HAVE FUN!!!!!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 02:13 AM

I guess we are fortunate in as much because of my business that I accumulate Continental air miles up the yang yang........we fly from Seattle to Belize first class for $543.00 plus 30,000 air miles each. Everything we buy goes on our Continental Airlines credit card.

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 02:18 AM

Oh yeah, now I have enough points/miles, for a free Feb. ticket.
woohoo!!!!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 02:32 AM

Chloe, you have to work the system while you can.....I wonder about the longevity of the mileage programs.
Posted By: Dutch

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 03:39 AM

Elbert, I see the same thing on the link as you typed, but it's dated March 15...my tickets are more this year too, but I figure that when you spread it out over a couple of weeks, it doesn't seem as bad. You can't take it with you. I bought last week for August just in case prices keep going up. Worst case, I'll just make it a one way ticket and stay! Hope to meet some of you nice folks while I'm there.
Posted By: Renee-md

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 02:06 PM

SweetJane,
What site did you use for PHL to BZE at $652 or what time of year. I am have been looking everyday and they are in the $700's.

Thanks,

Renee
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 07:25 PM

Definitely use the miles as you accumulate enough for a ticket. Industry buzz is that those freq flyer program's days are numbered...

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 07:41 PM

renee - you piqued my curiosity.

i use cheaptickets.com, and booked for august. when i looked a month ago, prices were the same (more or less) till the end of the year.

when i looked today, august was still $650, but sept, oct, nov all were over $730. you are right. things are changing.

get 'em while they're hot, folks!
Posted By: suecate

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/01/08 11:04 PM

lowest from boston i found for february or april $725.00 if you are willing to travel mid-week it comes out cheaper. This is not much different then we have been paying maybe $100.00 but that is a fee issue not ticket price.
Posted By: Dan & Jan

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/02/08 02:41 AM

Guess the airfare prices will keep the number of tourists down. In the past there were posts about keeping AC a secret so it didn't become over populated. Those that have visited before will find a way to get there. We love the island and don't want to miss out on our annual visit. Love the message board
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/02/08 01:52 PM

prices have skyrocketd from Columbus, but I think it's the domestic portion that's killing me.

D&J -- you are so right. I want to see belize do well, but can't help feeling selfish now and again when I get to have more of it to myself smile
Posted By: Rebelyell

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/06/08 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by elbert
Don't 'good old days' me, young lady. :-0 I paid $269.r/t to Luxembourg from NYC in the 60's :-)

I was able to take my family to Belize in 2005 for $215 each on US Air out of St. Louis. Don't think I'll find that one again.

In 2006 we went JFK to Cologne, Germany for $226 each. The flight was free, all we paid was the taxes and fees. Don't think this one will show up again, either.

Of course, the reason I'm on this board right now is that we'd love to make it to Belize for Spring Break next year. The prices are depressing!
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/06/08 02:54 AM

Interesting side note to this discussion: Booking tickets from Belize to US...August - October. Great flight out of Cancun to Miami $229.00 (one way, leaves late so no overnight in MX), Miami to ORD $118, ORD to LAX $159, LAX - DFW $129, DFW - MIA $79
Total $714

Now comes the hard part. For date in OCtober for MIA to BZE, Ticket is $630 (one way without tax).

Seems to me, domestic travel in the US is not all that expensive now, given general economics....it's the ticket to BZE that hurts. Same date MIA to Quito Equador one way $343.49 one way. Dont tell me that flight to BZE takes more gas than flying to Quito.....
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/06/08 03:20 AM

Routing is always so confussing..I just checked for last minute flights for friends from SFO. 2 day advance which is usually expensive..$670 R.T including all taxes from SFO to BZE...CRAZY....
Posted By: azbob

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/06/08 05:28 PM

In March, PHX to BZE was $522 RT, yesterday the cheapest was $708!
Posted By: Don Greife

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/10/08 02:58 AM

On Continental it is less expensive to fly from Houston to Costa Rica than to Belize by about $150.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/10/08 03:13 AM

you don't wanna know what I just paid for tix mid-fall & mid-winter wink
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/10/08 12:37 PM

Why not ?
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/10/08 01:53 PM

I checked Belize to Toronto for 2 weeks in November.. $776 and $818 were cheapest - by the bottom of page 2 results it hit over a grand. Damn looks like we will have to take a pass on winter again. smile
Posted By: suecate

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/10/08 02:46 PM

I am glad I booked my november trip in February and got the $538.00 rate and even less expensive for the kids. Had I known I would have tried to by blocks of tickets.
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/10/08 10:22 PM

Same here. Our trip from Toronto for Feb. was about $660 and now over $900 rtn.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/11/08 02:08 AM

Cuz you would not believe me, E! wink
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 07/11/08 02:24 AM

AWWW, Trust me, ya know I believe every thing you say grin
Posted By: clip

Re: Visit on the cheap... - 12/26/08 07:43 AM

I felt really happy by the way Ambergris Caye has helped me in spending my honeymoon with my wife at a reduced cost and provided a joyful vacation

with thanks
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board