AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris

Posted By: treetops

Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/13/09 08:01 PM

We are sending my husbands son and daughter in law down. They are flying to Cancun, bussing to Chetumal. Seems like the easiest thing to do would be take a taxi from the bus station in Chetumal to the border, walk across and get a taxi to the airport.
Any finer points needed?
Thanks
Posted By: Dita

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/13/09 08:05 PM

There is a service that will meet you in Chetumal and provide transport to the Corozal airstrip for a reasonable price. Their websites is: www.gettransfers.com The gentleman who owns the business is George Moralez and they are wonderful, helpful people. They have various options on transport from Cancun to Corozal. Very easy to work with. Hope this helps.

Posted By: Inplub

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/13/09 08:12 PM

You can use Belize VIP Transfer Services www.belizetransfers.com Henry Menzies (501-422-2725 or 3415). I have used both.

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 03:54 AM

Problem there is that I cannot get the bus schedule from Playa to tell either Henry or George what Bus they will be on. They are young, they haven't much luggage, so wouldn't the taxi to the border be the best option. They know where they are going they just haven't been there yet.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 04:39 AM

Bus schedules from Playa are available on http://www.ticketbus.mx.com -- in any case, the transfer folks know the bus schedules.

But, yeah, the taxis to the border, maybe five bucks in pesos, I forget exactly how much, are an easy option. Go through customs and immigration, and maybe BZ$20 or $25 for a taxi into Corozal Town. Or bus for a couple of dollahs or so.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Dan Carey

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 04:39 AM

treetops,
it sounds like your mind is made up on this, so I'm not sure what it is that you're asking. The "finer points" of hailing a cab? Do you want to know what's easier? To me, arranging for Belize Transfers to pick them up at the bus station and drop them off at the airport sounds at least as easy as trying to get a cab at the bus station and then find another cab at the border. Why can't you get a bus schedule? The ADO bus schedule is on the web, although the website is often temporarily off-line. One they get on the bus they have about six hours to phone a transfer agent and tell them when the bus is scheduled to get to Chetumal. Like I said, it seems like your mind is made up-I just don't completely understand your reasoning.

Now, if the kids have at least fair spanish language skills or they can find some other way to communicate to the cab driver, they should be able to get to the border crossing without any problem. Once through customs and immigration, getting a cab to the airstrip in Corazol Town shouldn't be a big deal, either. But when I travel I like to keep the "should be's" to a bare minimum, especially when I'm on a new route. Good luck to you.

Dan

Posted By: shuffles

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 02:41 PM

You can also email Henry at info@belizetransfers.com. They will need to get off the bus in Chetumal and take a taxi to Los Cocos hotel. Henry's driver will pick them up there and take them through customs and immigration in both Mexico and Belize, and drop them at the Corozal airstrip for $30.00 USD. In my experience, this is the smoothest, fastest way to get there. They may have a problem calling as some US phones don't work in Mexico or Belize, and the Mexico calling cards are a little tricky if you havent used them before. Dropping them at the border and making them go through immigrations and customs themselves, or having them go through with the entire busload of people can be a hassle. It is DEFINITELY worth the $30.00 to have Menzies do the transfer.

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 05:00 PM

I took the ADO Cancun to Chetumal (US$24.40) on Wed 7th, came out of the bus station and took local taxi. Cost US8.00 to Mexican Border or US15.00 to Belize Border. Local bus to Corozal BZ$4.00.

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 05:12 PM

Guess it just depends on how many times you want to move your luggage and get in and out of taxis.

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 05:24 PM

Going back to Chetumal I use George Moralez or Henry Menzies. Last time from England I overnight in Cancun the time before then I overnight in Chetumal. It is hard to book taxis from Belize when you do not know your own times or when the bus will get in. I just gave the last information I had.

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 05:54 PM

Dan listed the website for the bus lines in Mexico. If you know the arrival time of your flight in Cancun, you should have no problem booking the bus. You can even buy your bus ticket in advance online now. So should have that information ahead of time to book your taxi. If you give Henry the time the bus leaves, and from where, they keep tabs on them via radio to see when they are arriving.

The Mexican taxi drivers got up in arms a year or so ago, which is why the Belize taxis can no longer pick up passengers at the Chetumal bus station. You must take a local taxi to Los Cocos or another specified location within Chetumal and they will pick you up there.

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 07:41 PM

You can book ADO on line, but I believe to pay for it you have to be at the bus station. I took the ADO from the airport (US$4.00) to Down Town Cancun and then the bus to Chetumal the next day
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/14/09 09:35 PM

smile smile smile
Posted By: kerry

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/15/09 05:06 AM

don't mean to be critical, but the correct spelling, is "morales"
both george and henry are wonderful choices, and will take care of you....

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/15/09 07:37 AM

Only one problem, I cannot find the bus schedules.they will not come up on my computer. I think I will tell the kids to take the taxi from the bus station to the border, etc.
Many thanks for all the information and ideas
Posted By: debbief

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/15/09 10:25 PM

I have some friends who just did the trip from Cancun to Corozal yesterday, and they didn't have advance reservations on Tropic. The flight they planned to catch had been canceled for lack of reservations, so they had to wait and catch a later flight. They finally arrived here about 6:30. It made for a very long day since they didn't plan ahead for the flight!
Posted By: papashine

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/15/09 10:39 PM

?

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/15/09 10:47 PM

I was planning for the 3.30pm flight and when I got there it was full and had to wait till the last one at 5.00

Re: Chetumal to Corozol to Airport to Ambergris - 01/16/09 05:48 AM

Thank you for the updates on the flights.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board