AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Coming back to US with purchases...?

Posted By: lv2trvl

Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/15/09 05:12 AM

My husband and I are coming to Belize in May, and I just need to know if anyone has experience with coming back to the States with alcohol. I need to know before I go to Belize how much I can bring back without having to pay for it. Plus, I need to know how it works as far as bringing souveniers back. As this will be my first time EVER out of the US, I am not sure how all this "duty" works. I've looked it up online, but it's really confusing. Can anyone please help? THANK YOU!
Posted By: mymyheyhay

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/15/09 07:03 AM

You can pack 2 bottles in your suitcase. You cannot do carry on back into the US. You shouldn't have to worry about claiming souveniors.
However,When leaving US and going to Belize, you can go to duty free shop in US airport at your point of exit from US and buy booze there and carry it onto plane to Belize.

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/16/09 06:23 PM

(Insert angelic Ahhhhhhh...) Thank You so much!! It never occured to me to bring some with me...
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/16/09 06:39 PM

Seems like the duty free allowances have changed. Currently the goods allowance is $800 and the alcohol allowance is only 1 liter, seems like it used to be 2 liters. Usually never a problem as the chance of search returning to the states is almost nil. By the way, the duty free shops in Belize for your return to the USA, are some of the least expensive anywhere for liquor.
Posted By: mymyheyhay

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/16/09 08:17 PM

If you do the duty free in belize, you have to repack when you land in US before rechecking your luggage or they will confiscate it.
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/17/09 02:32 PM

Do you mean pack your duty free from Belize into your carry on before catching your connection? When we fly via the US to Canada our luggage is checked all the way through.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/17/09 03:02 PM

They won't let you fly with the duty free liquor that you bought in Belize in the cabin in the US. You can't pack it in your carry-on only into your checked luggage.

Sometimes when I fly via the US I am still required to collect my luggage, clear customs and then there is a drop point nearby to give the luggage back to the airline.

I think when I last went to the UK that the luggage did go straight through which means I would not have been able to continue my trip with my duty free bought in Belize.

What you might want to do is buy your duty free while you are passing through the US. Then they will let you fly with it.

Hey I didn't make the rules, I just try to follow them.

I suppose the deal is that you can purchase and fly with your duty free in the cabin when you purchase the duty free at the port you leave immediately before arriving home. You cannot pass through US TSA check points with liquid. So if you buy the duty free at the US airport within the secure areas you are allowed to carry it onto the plane.
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/17/09 03:58 PM

I forgot that coming in to the US from Belize and going on to another country you have to go through security again at the American airport even though you are just intransit. Too bad...
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/17/09 09:48 PM

I always bring back 4 liters of Rum & about 6 bottles of Marie Sharps, I bubble wrap the Rum then put it in a 2# zip lock in the suit case, the M.S. goes in the cooler bubbled wrapped.
Have'nt lost any yet.
I used to bring it all in a backpack(carry on) before the no liquid in carry on started.
2 liters per person I believe.
I remember bringing back 6 rum & 12 Marie Sharps one time on a trip by myself, only claiming 2 of course.

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/20/09 05:08 AM

Thank you all so much for your help! We are going to pack any alcohol we bring home in our checked luggage so that it is not confiscated coming back into the US. We live in Atlanta, so we'll have a connection from Miami to home, and I'm not going to take my chances.
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/20/09 01:56 PM

In the Belize City airport we bought 4 liters (very cheap) put it in our backpacks and took it on the plane. We flew into Dallas. If we had continued to another US city and did not leave the terminal, would we still have to pack the bottles in our checked? I am asking for another couple who are coming with us on our next trip and connecting in Dallas on the return.

Thanks

(I never though about buying in US on beginning of trip, great idea!)
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/20/09 02:03 PM

If you connect to any destination at the port of entry, DFW in this case, you must repack your liquor purchase and check it in to your final destination. Although you are not leaving the terminal, you are leaving the secured customs area and re-entering the terminal. You will have to go through security again as well. Pain in the butt, but that is the way it is.
Posted By: Hon

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/20/09 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by lv2trvl
Thank you all so much for your help! We are going to pack any alcohol we bring home in our checked luggage so that it is not confiscated coming back into the US. We live in Atlanta, so we'll have a connection from Miami to home, and I'm not going to take my chances.

You won't be able to pack duty free in your checked luggage. You have to check your bags when you check in for your return flight and you have to show your return ticket to purchase duty free.

You will have to put the duty free booze in your bag after you pick it up in Miami before you go through customs for your onward flight.

Of course, you won't have this problem if you buy regular priced stuff in San Pedro.
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/20/09 05:56 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I will pass it along to the other couple. Maybe they'll just let us bring their's home. laugh

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/21/09 01:40 AM

Well, like I said I don't know what duty-free means, so I was just planning on purchasing alcohol at a store and not in the Belize airport and packing it in my checked luggage. I wish I could get it cheaper, but I don't know how to travel internationally and don't know what I can and can't do. Everything I look up online uses jargon that I don't understand so I am left to my own devices. I guess once I make this trip, I might not be so ignorant! I do however, know the US laws regarding what can and cannot go into carry on luggage so I know that I could(if I wanted to) put alcohol into a carry-on bag into Miami, but will not be able to get it home to Atlanta. I really appreciate all of the help each of you have offered! :)I guess ultimately my question is will I have an opportunity to pack the alcohol in my checked luggage once I get to Miami if I carry it on from Belize City? Thank you!
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/21/09 03:24 AM

When you arrive in Miami from Belize City, you will need to claim your checked luggage to take it through customs. After you are finished with customs, you will recheck your bags and go through security again to your new gates.

You can move things around all you between customs and rechecking of your bags.

Re: Coming back to US with purchases...? - 01/21/09 05:21 AM

Thank you!! I didn't know that this was an option.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board