AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Winterblue Car Rental - 01/01/02 07:13 AM
Coming back to Placencia Feb.10-20. Fourth time there, and it feels like coming home. Anyway, this time we are thinking that we would like to rent a car in Belize City and drive the rest of the way down.I get a little tired of bicycling everywhere, lazy-ass gringa that I am. Who should we rent from? And about how much will a week cost? I'm trying to reach my pals in the village, but communications are still kinda haphazard.
Thanks all...Mary
Posted By: Richard Chambers Re: Car Rental - 01/01/02 04:44 PM
use the search function for "Car rental"
and read Lan's inputs........Richard.
The cost is around $100 usd/day with all the add ons.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Car Rental - 01/04/02 07:02 PM
Mary,

I almost always rent with Budget. I think they are the most professional car rental outfit in Belize, and since they are owned by the same people who own JMA Motors (Suzuki and Mitsibushi dealership) their cars are usually fairly low mileage. They have a location at the international airport (closed Sundays) and a new office on the Northern Highway, on the right as you go into town.

Thrifty, Crystal and Hertz are also pretty good. Just check the car out thoroughly to be sure it has decent tires, a jack and reasonable mileage. There are several "one-person" operations that have high-mileage cars but lower rates and good personal service -- Lewis is one, and some swear by them. Villa Boscardi is also starting to rent cars.

You can get a small Suzuki or similar for around US$65 and up. If you have an Amex or other credit card, it may cover the CDW in Belize, which otherwise is US$10 to $15 a day, a rip off. The 8% sales tax also applies to car rentals.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Winterblue Re: Car Rental - 01/05/02 12:21 AM
Richard and Lan, thanks for the information. It looks like Budget is our place. Now 5 weeks and counting.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board