AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Exchanging Currency

Posted By: lv2trvl

Exchanging Currency - 03/26/09 05:40 AM

My husband and I are making our first trip to Belize (Caye Caulker) in May and I just need to know where the best places are to exchange some US dollars into Belizian dollars. I've heard that the airports are not resonable as far as fees are concerned, and was hoping to use a bank on the island.

Also, if I do not exchange it before I get a cab, do a lot of taxi drivers (in Belize City) going to the Water Taxi accept US currency?

Thank you for any help you can provide, and we look forward to seeing your beautiful country!
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/26/09 06:10 AM

You can use $US anywhere in Belize, and interestingly, cannot leave the country without paying the exit tax ....in non Belizean currency smile

I suggest getting a good supply of $1 bills: the cab will be $25us plus a tip, and you will want another $1 at the water taxi, as its easier than trying to say you don't need help!

And for a final tip....if you change planes in DFW, hit TGI Fridays for a great cobb salad: It may be the last really fresh one you see 'till you get back, a week later and 10lbs heavier smile
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/26/09 03:00 PM

Now there you go Pug, making me want a Cobb Salad from TGIFs (and, of course, lots of US dollars)
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/26/09 05:42 PM

I go to Milo's Money Exchange in town & change $200US. for $402 Belize every couple of days, never have to stand in line & have been doing it for the past 10 yrs. or so.
Just a little South past the Fire Station.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/26/09 08:02 PM

Really? You go that extra mile for Bz$2!!!!
Posted By: Phil

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/26/09 08:04 PM

Didn't mean that to read as sarcastically as it could.

Don't bother changing them, just spend your US$ and expect change in Bz$.
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/26/09 08:24 PM

I don't like to carry a big wad of cash down Phil so I bring down mostly $50s & $100s, It's only a 2 min. walk from the Blue Tang. I could care less about the $2, It just makes it easier to pay for things when I'm about half drunk.
I'm in & out in less than a min.

Posted By: lv2trvl

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/27/09 12:13 AM

Sounds great! I think we'll plan on bringing traveler's checks, a credit card along with some cash. Thanks for all of your answers and even the TGIF suggestion!
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/27/09 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by J DOG
when I'm about half drunk.
I'm in & out in less than a min.

Maybe its just me..... smile
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/27/09 04:27 AM

Sounds very satisfying wink
Posted By: champion

Re: Exchanging Currency - 03/27/09 04:10 PM

Its not just you, That was funny Pug.