AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: travelqueen Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 01:28 AM
I'll have to pay closer attention next time I'm in SLC...

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-29376377;_ylc=X3oDMTFxdDdsamIyBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEX3MDMjcxOTQ4MQRzZWMDZnAtdG9kYXkEc2xrA2Jlc3Qtd29yc3QtYWlycG9ydHM-

America's Top Five Best Airports 2009
1. Salt Lake City (SLC)

2. Portland (PDX)

3. (Tie) Washington, D.C. (DCA)

3. (Tie) Minneapolis St. Paul (MSP)

5. (Tie) Los Angeles (LAX)

5. (Tie) San Diego (SAN)

5. (Tie) Tampa (TPA)

America's Top Five Worst Airports 2009
1. Newark (EWR)

2. Chicago (ORD)

3. Miami (MIA)

4. (Tie) Dallas Ft. Worth (DFW)

4. (Tie) New York (LGA)

4. (Tie) New York (JFK)

Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 01:34 AM
I'm voting for KC . . .when you leave the jetway into the terminal, you can see the front door 40 feet away and the bag claim is about fifty feet down the concourse. The food options aren't all that great but you are never there long enough for it to be an issue.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 01:37 AM
HA! I was just gonna post, the best AP in the country is MCI, Kansas City. Get out of your car, walk maybe 35-40 feet to your gate. NUMBER ! !
Posted By: Texican Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 02:24 AM
Couldn't make the link work, so not sure the rationale for these ratings, but obviously small town USA airports were not in the running
We like our hometown airport because, well, it's handy, and the parking is FREE
DFW gets bad marks for various reasons, but the SKYLINK train that started in 2005 is now much improved and pax can transfer between terminals on average in five min
Much improved coverage of destinations by airlines too; unusual to have to stop/change on the east or west coast anymore
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 03:22 AM
Texican, I was trying to make it a hyperlink but was unable... it should work though if you cut 'n paste.

Interesting the top "worst" airports are hubs for major airlines... seems the "worst" just offer more options... I hate running a far distance to catch a connecting flight but I do love more options! smile
Posted By: Gela Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 03:49 AM
Well, after my experience at DFW on 7/29-30 - have to put my money on DFW as one of the worst.

Never would have said that but, the way you now have to navigate from landing to immigration, to the wait for luggage to customs, to re-checking baggage to finding your way to going through security to you connecting destination - means you most likely will miss your ultimate destiation that day, unless you have more than 3 hour layover. This didn't used to be.

This lesson has reminded me, if I don't have a long layover, plan to stay over night at the connection point. Sad that it takes 2 days to get to somewhere within the same hemosphere. frown
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 08:48 AM
I've flown into DFW six or eight times, and every time the aircraft has been redirected to a gate different from the one scheduled. On one occasion not even in the same terminal building. In other respects it didn't seem a bad place though.

Overall by far the worst airport I have ever experienced in any country is Miami, from every standpoint. I actually liked JFK on the two occasions I've been there, and I really like Charlotte. Worldwide my second-worst is Frankfurt in Germany.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 12:34 PM
Amen Peter. Miami is a total hole! American has to realize people avoid their entire airline because of Miami.
Posted By: Gela Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 12:48 PM
I won't even consider Miami. Thanks for reminding me to continue to forget that airport.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 01:41 PM
trying to avoid MIA in june, we went thru ATL. wow - it really SUCKED. immigration was a mess. then some old guy yelled at us at baggage claim for putting the rum in our bag in a non-designated area (what?) we will seriously rethink that one in the future.

we last did JFK in '06, and were just embarrassed that that was the first US place some foreign travelers saw (it was in great disrepair and kinda gross).

charlotte is still the best east coast layover, IMO.
Posted By: H20dog Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 01:46 PM
Charlotte IMHO is the nicest airport in the US, if decor counts. Lots of glass, rocking chairs....it's special.
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 03:29 PM
Charlotte.. Best Hands Down!!

MIA the worste followed by Denver
Posted By: papashine Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/10/09 04:08 PM
Mexico City has got to be the worst airport I have ever had the mispleasure to arrive at or depart from.

The best airport I have been to is YVR Vancouver British Columbia.
Posted By: BrianH Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/11/09 01:57 AM
Unfortunately I often start my trips at ORD and connect through MIA (sometimes DFW) when going to Central America. My experiences haven't been as bad as others I've read about. Morning flights to and from MIA have been uneventful for me. I try to fly mid-week and as early as possible in the day to try to avoid trouble. The problems are always on the last leg on the return trip to ORD since that is late afternoon or evening. If the weather isn't perfect in Chicago, expect delays.
Posted By: Consuelo Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/11/09 03:42 PM
Vancouver is a great airport - (of course I'm prejudiced - lol) but it is pretty and very user friendly. Our experience flying home and having to depart last year from Mexico City was frustrating as they don't tell you properly which gate to be at and there is no one you can ask. We managed to connect with other passengers who had the same problem and sorted it out (finally) with about half an hour to spare.

Connie from Kelowna
Posted By: seashell Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/11/09 10:46 PM
I thought the Chicago airport was cool. Wonder what the problem is (according to the survey). Also, JKF is pretty gross to look at, but as far as getting in and out, I had no problems at all.
Posted By: deadserious Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/11/09 11:13 PM
All of those midwestern airports have serious weather problems through a good part of the year.
I flew into Fort Lauderdale (from Cancun) a while back, happy that I didnt have to go through MIami, until I got there. Boy was I disappointed, same crap and smack attitude, maybe even a little bit worse. I dont know why Chicago is on the worst list, I consider it a breeze going through immigration and customs up there versus Miami, Houston or Fort Lauderdale.
I dont care what anyone says, the Detroit Metro airport rocks!
Posted By: Bing Crosby Re: Top 5 Best/Worst Airports... - 08/21/09 08:26 PM
I almost froze to death in Atlanta, I swear they had the AC set at about 4 degrees.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board