AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Hi all,
I searched the forum and could not find anything about whether you can get one barrel coconut rum once arriving to Belize (either at BZE airport or SP airport). We would like it to mix a welcome panty rippa drink in our room once we get to the resort! If not...where can we pick it up close to the airport(within walking distance) in SP?? Thanks!
You should be able to find it in just about any grocery store on your way to where you are staying. Enjoy your trip!
You can get it at the Int. airport, the closest grocery to the SP airstrip is Save-U, or the taxi taking you to the B/Blue dock will stop along the way. Superbuy or the Rum House are both close to the dock.
I had just heard that you could only get it coming back home at San Pedro Airport and was curious if that was the case at the BZE airport as well. If we can get it coming down, great...if not...then one of the places at the dock or Save-U will work.:)
We went in on Aug 6 - you can purchase at the airport between US and AC, but you have to check it. We bought Baileys and Crown Reserve. Sure enough - it was handed to us in San Pedro at Tropic. Very Cheap!!!
Thanks! 2Aggies....you are saying to your liquor in US?? I know you can get it duty free that way, but we want to try One Barrel which is the local rum, and want to see if we can get it at Belize International Airport or San Pedro on the way to AC. I head heard that you could only buy it on the way back. Not accessible to people arriving to BZE airport.
Originally Posted by kdskis2
I head heard that you could only buy it on the way back. Not accessible to people arriving to BZE airport.

When you arrive at the airport, you skip past the waiting area where the stores are. However, if you are again flying out of BZE to San Pedro, you will return to the waiting area for your next flight on Tropic or Maya.

I'm assuming that this is what they were talking about.
In Belize, unlike most duty free stores, you can purchase coming in or leaving.
yes Jesse, however in Belize city we were told we could not buy one barrel as it was an island rum. They did not have it on the shelf, but once in customs they did have it in the liquor store.
I see your question now. Specifically, can you buy "One Barrel" in-bound duty free?
But, since One Barrel is made there, is it subject to a duty? Or is it the same price anywhere in Belize? I didn't notice.
Originally Posted by 2Aggies
I see your question now. Specifically, can you buy "One Barrel" in-bound duty free?

I don't think they care about duty free, only asking if it's available at the airport. I don't know that answer specifically.
I didn't check the price of liquor at BZE, but the woman that was standing outside the store trying to entice people to come in and buy, was stating that it was duty free. This is the store that's in front of baggage claim.
There is NO duty on One Barrell. It is NOT imported. I wouldn't buy it at International because you have to put it in your checked in luggage. Just wait until you get to San Pedro and buy all you want and can drink while you're on the Island.
Is One Barrel really coconut rum? It's some sort of interesting flavor, I thought of it more as vanilla. Panty rippers are too sweet for my taste, are they really made with One Barrel????
No - One Barrel is a dark aged rum. Coconut rum is a white rum which is much sweeter and (surprise surprise) is coconut flavoured.
Great. We want the One Barrel and some coconut rum. Kuknat? Ooops. Maybe it isn't made by One Barrel, but if it isn't can we still get that at BZE or San Pedro Airport? Thanks so much!
One Barrel doesn't make coconut rum. Caribbean makes a coconut rum which if very good & I think there are a couple other local brands. Again, you'll find all you want on the Island!
There are 3 different major rum makers in Belize, Travellers (1 Barrel, Tropical Coconut 34 proof, Kucunut 80 proof), Caribbean (their coconut leaves something to be desired) and Old Masters Coconut (80 proof), this is my personal favorite. The Tropical is typically used in Panti rippers, and is quite sweet as it is considered a liquer, where the Old Masters is not as sweet, but has a intense coconut flavor and is full 80 proof. Try them all and see what is your favorite. All is available on the island at the better liquor stores. I just tried to buy the Old Masters Coconut at Superbuy and they didn't have it. Enjoy...
Actually, there are 3 "Barrel" rums made by Travellers. The least expensive is One Barrel, which has a very strong vanilla flavor (IMHO) and is aged 1 yr. Then, you have a step up with Three Barrel, aged 3yrs and doesn't have the strong vanilla flavor. Lastly, and most expensive, there is the premium Five Barrel, aged 5 yrs and the smoothest of the three, (my personal favorite.)
I don't care for 1 Barrel at all, I like the Carribean White the best.
Agreed!
Originally Posted by Chica Blanca
There are 3 different major rum makers in Belize, Travellers (1 Barrel, Tropical Coconut 34 proof, Kucunut 80 proof), Caribbean (their coconut leaves something to be desired) and Old Masters Coconut (80 proof), this is my personal favorite. The Tropical is typically used in Panti rippers, and is quite sweet as it is considered a liquer, where the Old Masters is not as sweet, but has a intense coconut flavor and is full 80 proof. Try them all and see what is your favorite. All is available on the island at the better liquor stores. I just tried to buy the Old Masters Coconut at Superbuy and they didn't have it. Enjoy...

This is the most informative post I've seen here in a while. Thank you for the thorough explanation.
Totally agree with your thoughts, Deadserious! Actually all of this discussion on rum has been informative.
Thanks so much.
Now, back to the question... The Coconut rum(be it Old Masters, Tropical or Kuknat) and 3 Barrel (liking the sound of that) can be obtained at San Pedro Airport? We hate to ask our Hotel to drop us by a liquor store when picking us up at the airport? And we want to get to the beach ASAP!! wink
Your hotel pickup is expecting you to want to stop and shop on the way...its the usual routine.
Another reason for not buying rum at the airport is you have to check your bags for the small commuter flights to AC and all liquids have to go into the checked bags. They don't allow liquids in the cabin. The only liquor buying place between picking up your bags and checking them is the Duty Free Shop. Not the best place to buy local rums as it is made here and there isn't duty. The other liquor stores are in the gate area and by then you don't have your bags anymore and they won't let you bring any of that liquor on the commuter planes. Those stores are for when you leave Belize.
Originally Posted by kdskis2
We hate to ask our Hotel to drop us by a liquor store when picking us up at the airport? And we want to get to the beach ASAP!! wink

Simon has a great service that will deliver stuff to your hotel before you arrive. http://www.belizegrocery.com/
The answer is this: It is impractical for you to buy it at the International Airport in Belize City because of the above mentioned reasons, and you CAN'T buy it at the airport in San Pedro because there aren't any shops there...only the lobby and ticket counter. You'll understand when you get there and see it for yourself....!

So the best way really is to stop somewhere on your way to your hotel. Believe me...it will be no inconvience. Again, you'll understand when you get there and see everything!

Hope this helps! smile
tcoats is right. Once you get there you will see. The taxi driver will pull up right in front of a store, you walk in, grab a few things, pay in US $'s and head to your room. While you change, make a few drinks and off to the water!

I know we do the same thing everytime. Just did it again 3 weeks ago.
Ok. We may need ALOT more. See my new post!
Whoa! It all works out... You wont believe how easy it is to get what you want ONCE YOU GET ON THE ISLAND... Deep Breath!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board