AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Belize dollars to pesos

Posted By: Monel

Belize dollars to pesos - 09/17/09 03:37 AM

For those of you that know me but haven't heard, we are relocating to mexico on Friday for better telecommunications. Quick question for anyone who knows...The best way to change Belize money into Pesos would be here before we cross over ? Or after we cross the border ?
Posted By: CaptOneIron

Re: Belize dollars to pesos - 09/17/09 12:03 PM

Smart thing would be to convert to dollars and then pick and choose when you convert to pesos after you get there. Actually Swiss Francs would be better financially but given the dollars dominance in Mexico it is the better choice.
Posted By: CaptOneIron

Re: Belize dollars to pesos - 09/17/09 12:03 PM

Sorry, I meant US Dollars.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Belize dollars to pesos - 09/17/09 01:18 PM

Most people travelling from here to Mexico for vacations and shopping change their funds to US dollars. You can change some at the border and then look for the best rates when you arrive at your destination. Money changer rates fluctuate daily in Mexico and you'll find rates can differ greatly from one money changer to the next. Going where you're going you should just walk around until find you get the best deal you can find.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Belize dollars to pesos - 09/17/09 03:49 PM

You can't change Bz$ once in Mexico certainly in and around QR -DF might be different. Do it at the border on the Belize side afer Immigration as you cross. If you are talking about thousands it might be a little different and I would get some feedback in Corozal first. Good luck in Mexico.
Posted By: MisterB266

Re: Belize dollars to pesos - 09/17/09 07:37 PM

There are at least 3 money changers on the main street in Chetumal. The last time I went through, their rates were the same (maybe a little bit better) as the rate at the border.

I've also changed at money changers in Playa, but the rate wasn't as good as Chetumal.

I've tried to exchange cash at banks in Chetumal without success; they told me to go the money changers.

ScotiaBank operates in both Belize and Mexico. If it's a large amount, you might consider opening accounts in both countries and doing a transfer. There might be fees, but worth checking out.

Edit to add...
My comments refer to changing BZ$ to pesos.
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com

Re: Belize dollars to pesos - 09/18/09 12:03 AM

I change U.S. dollars into pesos at the bank in Mexico. With Belize dollars, I try to get pesos at Belize Bank in Corozal, if they have any, they give the best rate of anyne, however, if you do not have a Belizean passport they will restrict you to $250 U.S. equivalent. They let my husband change as much as he wants, he's Belizean. There is a money changer at the mall by Liverpool also, there is a money changer at the Nuevo Mercado, there is a little windowsed place on the right side of the street near Pollo Brujo that will change Belize dollars into pesos, in addition to several on Avenida Heroes which is the main shopping boulevard that will change Belize dollars into pesos. I agree with Simon and Martin, you get a much better rate with U.S> dollars than with Belize dollars, sometimes up to 10% better, it all adds up in the end.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board