AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: flwrgrdn sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/07/09 12:58 PM
I want to mail a care package to my daughter who is volunteering in Sarteneja for the next month, and then she will be moving on probably to Caracol. Which is the best carrier to send it through? Fed Ex or Post Office? Can I expect it to get to her intact? What about duty? anything you can think of to tell me here (I do know not to pack things that will melt) would be helpful. thank you
Posted By: t42 Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/07/09 03:27 PM
We use the post office all the time for small parts and materials and it is very good service. We use both addresses in Belize City and Ladyville and touch wood never a problem. Fed Ex is extremely expensive and it is certainly not overnight and they do not deliver one must clear the package with customs.
Posted By: HOT_Card Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/07/09 10:42 PM
Totally agree - we have parcels sent via the post office 2-3 times a month, and in approx 9 years only two have had problems. One never left the US (see comment below on insurance) and the other was misdirected to Brazil!, but even then it turned up a couple of months later with no damage. I usually use the Priority (7 day) or Express (4 day) options as you can track these online, and the PO flat pack boxes hold up well to the handling. Depending on what is in the parcel your daughter will have to pay duty (anything upto 45% on say cosmetics) and 10% sales tax on the declared value of the contents, when she collects it from the post office. I would strongly suggest you do NOT insure the parcel - it only suggests it is of high value and so may be less likely to reach its destination.
I agree from experience with all the above points, both about the Post Office and FedEx.
Posted By: flwrgrdn Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 01:51 AM
would she have to pay duty on the following: gum,cookies, beef jerky, jelly beans, banana chips, pita chips, energy bars, kleenex, insect wipes, bug spray, first aid cream, antiseptic wipes, and a couple books? all repackaged into ziplock bags, except the cookies, which would get crushed. maybe I should put them into a glad snack box? and if she would have to pay, how much? just wondering if it is worth it to send.
Posted By: flwrgrdn Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 01:51 AM
oh and thanks so much for the great responses! smile
Posted By: flwrgrdn Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 01:53 AM
oh, and.... should I put a list in there of what is in the box, along with costs/values? or do they need that? would it be helpful to keep the duty fees down? sorry, I just have never sent anything anywhere that required a duty.
If in doubt, expect to pay duty on anything either made or sold in Belize. I can't see it would be worth sending something like cookies, unless they're VERY special!

Yes, you do need to enclose a complete list of contents and purchase prices. Failure to do that will just cause delays.

Belize raises a significant proportion of its taxes from import duties, so expect to pay quite a lot. I was once sent a box of doggie treats & toys as a gift. Cost me almost Bz$300 in duties to get what in the US had cost around US$70.
Posted By: flwrgrdn Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 02:16 AM
not sure I understand. you say if it is made or sold in belize, pay duty? do you mean if they have cookies in Belize, and I send cookies, then I'd pay duty on the cookies? or the bug spray? or the jelly beans? really? might as well just put money in her account and hope she can get to a store. yikes really?
Posted By: SimonB Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 02:22 AM
Duty and tax would be due on all those items. It's a bit ridiculous but even things that are clearly marked as birthday or christmas presents are charged duty or maybe it's just the post office in SP is not that lenient.
Posted By: flwrgrdn Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 03:17 AM
okay, well guess I'll eat it all myself. that does it for me for sending her anything. too bad it is so far and no transportation for her to actually get to a store. dumb duty tax anyway. this was a great care package. grrrr
Mind you, beyond a certain point it might be worthwhile flying down with the goodies and (intelligently) bringing them through Customs yourself. Unless it's blatantly obvious that you're bringing food parcels you'll probably get away with it. Of course, if you're unlucky and pick a strict Customs officer then expect some expensive problems!
Posted By: flwrgrdn Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 01:18 PM
so now I am hearing that when I come down to Belize at the end of November for my holiday with her, I should not even bring things with me at that time, because they'll charge me duty then as well? what about the things I bring with me in my carryon baggage? can I have food and extra things for my daughter in there without paying duty? This is so strange to me. Truly, does the US charge a duty for those visiting here and the items they bring with them? I guess I am just not familiar with international travel. I did go to Germany in 1990 but I don't remember anything about duty back then. And I have taken a cruise, but everything remained on the ship. I didn't get charged for the items I purchased in the countries I visited off the cruise ship as I came back to the US. Am I just being naive, or just not understanding that certain countries have a charge and others do not? I'm really upset that I can't send her these items without a large expense (which I already incurred a small expense by buying the items)when it appears she is not going to be able to easily get them herself. I am not trying to be argumentative here, I really don't understand.
Never had a bit of problem bring food and or snacks down. Heck, we have visitors that brings Sam's size boxes of granola and energy bars down no problem. I suppose they could put a duty on such things but they do not seem to bother as they are more concerned with big ticket items. Nonetheless, Belize gets a large part of its revenue to run the country from duties and taxes on things that come across the borders. Just the way it is. In the US it seems that if you are a citizen or resident you can bring up to like $400 of goods in without duty. Every country is different. No worries just scatter the goodies throughout you bags.
Posted By: ron Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 10:34 PM
If you bring the usual stuff that someone brings with them on vacation you shouldn't have any problems. The customs people at the airport are looking for people who are bringing alot of stuff that will obviously stay behind. Every country charges duties when someone enters the country. You fill out a form called a customs declaration. You are supposed to tell the customs people everything you are bringing into the country that will stay in the country. People bring expensive diving equipment with them and don't pay a duty same with expensive fishing gear. Even expensive clothing without a problem. Bringing in 10 rods and reels or 15 pairs of shoes and you'll probably have to pay. You can also decide not to pay the duty and let them confiscate the item. I've found the customs agents at the airport to be very reasonable, even though I always seem to be having to pay a duty on something. The something is almost always going to stay in my house in Caye Caulker. Hard to convince someone the dishes in your suitcase are going leave with you.
Posted By: HOT_Card Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/08/09 11:37 PM
This is correct - every country charges duty but some have higher exemptions than others, and some are stricter especially as in the case of Belize where they lose sufficient tax revenue because of it. But customs at the airport are more interested in what locals are bringing into the country in large quantity, or of high value than the odd box of your daughter's favourite cookies. Watch out for fresh fruit, nuts and meat however as these will be confiscated - from memory most food items are 20%, medical supplies are less, cosmetics are probably the highest and books are exempt. But a lot of these items are available here (maybe not so much in Sarteneja) but certainly Corozal and Belize City, so a day trip shopping might be a cheaper option!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/09/09 05:48 AM
gum,cookies, beef jerky, jelly beans, banana chips, pita chips, energy bars, kleenex, insect wipes, bug spray, first aid cream, antiseptic wipes, and a couple books

You sound like a nice MOM and if you are coming in November you will probably be here before anything you could send now. November is high season and everyone wants more tourists. From you list I do not see anything that could not be construed as being for you. However, I think banana chips and pita chips are probably available here. Come on down and have a good time
Posted By: flwrgrdn Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 10/09/09 02:36 PM
well, I might send it anyway. Maybe they will see it as just a few goodies, some medical supplies and a couple used books and not charge too much. I'll post what they end up charging on here. I really wanted her to have it. I did remove the beef jerky since it could qualify as meat.
Make sure the recipients know what has been sent and its value. I paid for my box of dog treats before I knew what was in the box. Had I known I would have left it with Customs.
Hi Mom - virtually all of what you intend to ship is for sale in Belize. If there is no store nearby there probably is no Fed Ex office (they do not deliver here - you have to go pick it up) or Post office (ditto having to go to pick things up) nearby either.
If there is no ride to the store there probably is no ride to the post office or Fed Ex office ...... your package will cost her money to fetch, to clear customs and will take 2 weeks to get here. The thought is wonderful, but the execution could be a bigger headache than you intended.

Shipping things in for somebody else via commercial carrier is different than carrying things "for personal use" which is what the incoming tourist customs declaration says is allowed.

I'd put the care package in my suitcase and bring it in November.

One of the great opportunities offered by volunteering is living like other people do --- if your daughter is young and fit and adventurous she'll be fine without the extras until you arrive.

Posted By: A C Re: sending package to Belize for Sarteneja - 11/26/09 04:27 PM
Moving there in january,
should i expect to pay duty on all the electronics im bringing?

Laptop, xbox, wii, projector, speakers....

I for sure wont be leaving these behind when i move again! lol

thanks!

AC
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board