AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts

Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/24/10 08:08 PM

Hi all. I just recently visited Angtigua. They had gorgeous textiles and I am wondering if one can find similar crafts in Melchor near the boarder. I was in Melchor in '08 but wasn't shopping and didn't look for any markets. Any info on markets/textiles appreciated.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/24/10 08:13 PM

it's been awhile since I was in Melchor, but there were many stalls & tents. Some with touristy fare, but some with real cool stuff!

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/24/10 08:19 PM

that's wonderful news, thank you! Touristy fare is fine, probably no more than Antigua. Do you remember what you saw? When I google markets in Melchor I do not find much.
Posted By: Moonracer

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/25/10 03:28 PM

I've purchased tablecloths, placemats, and napkins in Melchor, but haven't found anything like bolts of the Guatemalan textiles, and I only know of one shop that even sells the tablecloths. Prices are very reasonable, but not a lot of selection. As far as things like blankets or bedspreads, you're more likely to find neon-printed fleece imported from China than anything hand-crafted in Guatemala when you shop in Melchor.
Posted By: ckocian

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/25/10 06:19 PM

Antigua has fabric shops that sell the indigenous patterns in cloth. You can buy a bolt or a couple of yards of some patterns you don't see in the souvie shops. Gorgeous stuff for interior decorating.
Posted By: cruzbelize

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/25/10 08:33 PM

I have purchased mayan textiles by the yard at the Indiecita Maya shop on Burns Ave. in San Ignacio. I don't know if they are still in business as we haven't been back home since last year.
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/25/10 09:31 PM

Textura in Antigua is wonderful for fabrics

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/26/10 07:11 AM

ckokian and Katie, Yes, as mentioned I was just in Antigua so well aware of the wonderful fabrics and blankets there. I am looking for what moonracer mentioned and was wondering is if I will find quilts, quilt toppers, bedspreads, and hand made crafts anywhere near the boarder. Sounds like no according to moonracer and I really appreciate that information. Thanks so much. Looks like a great excuse to head back to Antigua one day, but was hoping to head to the boarder in a week or so for these items.
Posted By: cruzbelize

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/26/10 03:02 PM

I checked with my sister in law and on a recent visit to Melchor she saw handbags (some with leather straps and trim), duffel bags, coin purses, wallets, eyeglass cases, bedspreads, tablecloths/napkins, guyabera shirts, barettes with the typical dolls on them and hammocks. She said they tend to have more to choose from closer to the holidays (which would be now) Sometimes you have to ask for what you are looking for. Many of the stalls have plastic vessels, lingerie, kids toys, knock off cosmetics and shoes in the front of the stalls and the indigenous products in the back of the stalls.

I forgot to ask if Indiecta Maya is still open...she may not even know as she is local and only goes there when they have visitor from out of the country. I do know that on my last visit Indiecita Maya had huipils, mayan men's trousers and women's skirts from indigenous textiles and dresses with embroidery on the sleeves and neckline. The prices were probably more than in Melchor, but I have seen similar items here in the US for three and four times more than at Indiecita.

Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/26/10 06:08 PM

The quality of some of the textiles in Melchor is not on par with those found in some of the shops in Antigua. Depends on what you are using the fabric for. There are also places in Guatamala City that have a great selection of textiles. I also love some of the natural cotton found in Antigua.

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/26/10 07:27 PM

thanks so much. If I went all the way to Guatemala City I'd just go the extra half hour to Antigua. Maybe Flores. I have not been there in years and can't remember if the blankets, quilts, handicrafts etc are found there. Much closer to Belize.
Posted By: ckocian

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/26/10 09:20 PM

At one of the street markets 8-10 years ago in Antigua we bought four patchwork blankets that we still use. They are obviously machine sewn of small pieces of different pattern fabrics but I love them and we still use them. The backing material isn't of great quality but I've washed and dried them in the dryer and they came out in tact and clean.

Re: Guatemalan Textiles and Hand Crafts - 11/27/10 05:33 AM

perfect!! That's exactly what I am looking for. And as for the backing, I don't even care if it has one. More to use as decoration or a throw. But now....to find them NOT in
Antigua is the goal wink
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board