AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/04/11 04:46 PM
Maya Island Air has leased a 737, is currently arranging to fly it from New Orleans to Belize International, and then onto Fort Lauderdale. This is to be a daily flight, and it is hoped that they will start before Easter.

Without a doubt this is the most exciting news that the tourism sector has had in the last few years because this is really going to bring another 1000 people a week to Belize. Over a decade ago there was a bi-weekly flight from Louisanna, and the flights were stopped, but now with the problems in Mexico we believe that it will be a very popular route.

The flight from Fort Lauderdale to Belize International will reputedly be much less expensive from the Miami one and it is hoped that the budget travelers will use this rather than going elsewhere. Maya's representatives are convinced that the planes will have good loads as their research many people wish to come to Belize but they find that the current flight prices from Miami are just too high.

Congratulations to all at Maya Island Air.
Posted By: Marty Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/04/11 04:47 PM
from Lan Sluder of BelizeFirst.com

If it works out, that is good news in most ways and sounds like one of the few smart things Maya Island Regional has done. Its Cancun-Guatemala-San Pedro Sula flights have not done well.

My only concern would be New Orleans. I used to live in New Orleans and know it's not exactly a booming air hub, even though at one time it was the main gateway to Central America. The old TACA flights from there to San Salvador and Belize City were seldom full. However, there's doubtless enough business from Louisiana and southern Mississippi and Alabama to mostly fill a 737.

As I understand it, Maya Regional has a different set of owners and investors than the Maya Island Air in Belize, though there is some overlap.
Only in the planning and discussion stages for now, possible announcement within a few weeks.
Posted By: Marty Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/04/11 06:40 PM
from a friend...

I contacted Maya Island about the report of U.S. flights and this is what I received:

"Good Morning,

This is not official as yet.

Thanks,
Ms. Malic"

So it seems they are at least considering the prospect.
I sent them an email today that said I'd like to be their first pasenger from the US to BZE. AA and CO have dominated this route long enough. Who would like to be "second"?
Posted By: HopGA Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/05/11 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Don Greife
I sent them an email today that said I'd like to be their first pasenger from the US to BZE. AA and CO have dominated this route long enough. Who would like to be "second"?

So what will you do when you get to New Orleans or Ft. Lauderdale. Neither city is a hub and to go any other place, you will end up going through Atlanta or Dallas and the flight will end up costing more than now. Unless you live in southern Louisiana or Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami this flight is a looser.
Posted By: klcman Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/05/11 12:38 AM
Maybe not........most of us do not live in hub cities anyway.

I can get to Lauderdale & NOLA very cheaply. The key will be the departure times to/from BZE.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/05/11 12:44 AM
Austin/New Orleans RT Southwest $311 all in. The Maya would need to be free.
Posted By: klcman Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/05/11 12:46 AM
hah......you need to move here. Flights always cheaper here than TX, who knows why? smile
If the timing is right, this may be perfect. I can fly Columbus, Ohio direct to Ft. Lauderdale for under $207 all in. From there to Belize City would be a dream come true! If the BZE flight was in the neighborhood of $250 - $300, I'd be very excited. If they offered discount connections then to SPR, I'd pee my pants.
Originally Posted by Otteralum
If the timing is right, this may be perfect. I can fly Columbus, Ohio direct to Ft. Lauderdale for under $207 all in. From there to Belize City would be a dream come true! If the BZE flight was in the neighborhood of $250 - $300, I'd be very excited. If they offered discount connections then to SPR, I'd pee my pants.

Heck I'd DRIVE to NOLA!! And Otter, Think "Depends"... who wants to sit next to a "pisser" of a seatmate? laugh laugh JK
I have to rag you one way or the other since I won't be able to do it in person...
Posted By: kerry Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/05/11 03:36 AM
wow!!! can't wait to hear about this...have to leave out of new orleans anyway!!! there's a la quinta by the airport where i park my car for free, with a nite stayover or a nite on the return...i have done this being gone for a month....if this happens, dcg, drive on down, get a room, and park for free...:)
Posted By: Toots Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/06/11 05:35 PM
I'd hope that Maya Island has done some research to show that there are sufficient passengers to support their proposed route. I know that coming from outside of the US and with it's "hub and spoke", I would be forced to use either Miami or Dallas regardless of where Maya flies (wish it were otherwise but...).
Posted By: ron Re: Maya Island Air to Fly Daily to The USA - 02/06/11 05:57 PM
If they are flying from Ft. Lauderdale you could fly into there on Jet Blue a low cost airline. I've flown into Ft.Lauderdale from either Hartford, CT or JFK for less than $200 round trip.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board