AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Driving into the country for a 2 week vacation.

Posted By: bobble

Driving into the country for a 2 week vacation. - 04/09/11 05:44 AM

I have been considering driving in from Mexico where I keep my truck/camper/15'inflatable/outboard/trailer and camping gear; generator/chairs/fishing gear/etc. Am I facing duty charges on my travel rig and stuff? If so I will fly in like a proper expat wannabe. I'm looking around for a home away from home but not yet ready to pay import duties.
Posted By: catdance62

Re: Driving into the country for a 2 week vacation. - 04/09/11 12:21 PM

I am pretty sure you will have to pay a bond on your vehicles that you get back when you leave the country (be prepared for lots of red tape and waiting around). There is a time limit on the bond, not sure what it is. I do not know if the bond has to be in cash, or can be paid on credit card, but it will be steep.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Driving into the country for a 2 week vacation. - 04/09/11 01:30 PM

Fly in or leave your vehicle in Chetumal in a secure area, then take a taxi over to Corozal airstrip or take the water taxi to San Pedro. It's not worth the hassle or the cost.
Posted By: cracked up

Re: Driving into the country for a 2 week vacation. - 04/09/11 03:11 PM

I'm not sure, but, as long as you are just a visitor for a limited time(30days?), you shouldn't have to pay anything. Just make sure you have the same items when you leave, if not, then you'll have problems. Have a detailed manifest.
Posted By: bobble

Re: Driving into the country for a 2 week vacation. - 04/09/11 06:32 PM

Okay, many thanks to each of you. Since I mostly want to check out Ambergrise Caye and I would have to store my rig on the mainland anyway, why bring it! If I come there for a few months it sure would be nice to have my inflatable to explore and snorkle from, though. OR, maybe not! I guess it depends on the costs for such activities there at the island vs. the hassle of bringing it.
Posted By: CaptOneIron

Re: Driving into the country for a 2 week vacation. - 04/12/11 05:51 AM

If you can avoid dealing with the bureaucracy you should always do that. Belize is a wonderful country but a lot of the officials seem to be a law unto themselves and the rules and regulations on a particular day are what that official says they are. Don't get me wrong it is a wonderful place and you will enjoy your visit but the bureaucracy is always there waiting to make your life difficult.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board