AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Auto Insurance

Posted By: p2v

Auto Insurance - 05/31/06 08:59 PM

I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. We are renting a car from Avis at the Belize City Airport and they tell me they do not provide Auto Liability Insurance for the renters of the vehicles (Budget and Hertz told me the same thing). I want to be sure we have insurance in case we are "at fault" in an accident and cause bodily injury or property damage the other person. How do you get this coverage in Belize? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Auto Insurance - 06/01/06 01:41 PM

Probably that means they do not "provide" it (ie- they do not pay for it) and that you must pay for it when you rent.
Posted By: p2v

Re: Auto Insurance - 06/01/06 02:19 PM

I asked them and they don't even offer it as an additional coverage for an additional charge, that's what concerns me.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Auto Insurance - 06/01/06 02:28 PM

The cannot register the car or truck in Belize unless they prove they have insurance. So I think you have a misunderstanding on terms of what they mean insurance. Go to Crystal Auto rental and ask them, I think you will be much happier with their service. These agencies rent vehicles every day and if they cannot answer a simple question now, what do you think they are going to do if you do have a problem while you are here.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Auto Insurance - 06/01/06 05:16 PM

You can usually get LDW insurance for about $15US/day from any of the rental places. Limits your liability to $750 USD
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board