AmbergrisCaye.com Home
I put this post on the TRAVEL section, too. I hope that I did not violate a rule doing so.:) I want to experience Ambergrise Caye and then return home when I am ready. But, one way fares and open tickets are very costly. My research shows me that I can fly round trip from Los Angeles to Belize City for about $750 inclusive. Around $700 one way! I can cut the one-way costs by flying from LA to Cancun one way for about $225 inclusive. A nice bus to Belize City makes good sense here but I am still looking at regional airlines for the run from Cancun to Belize City. Maya Island Air offers a fare for $261 inclusive one way. Are there alternative flights for less? Renting a car would be great if I could turn it in in Chetumal but I could not find an agency that offered that. There could be alternatives one of YOU might know of. Hence, this post. No doubt there have been similar questions on this site before but I skimmed through and did not see the answers to my particular concerns. So, as things stand, one-way to Cancun ($225); bus fare Cancun to Chetumal ($30 approx); water taxi from Chetumal to San Pedro ($35); various local bus and taxi fares to tie it all together ($15 approx) added up equals....$305! Not too bad! Does anybody care to add or suggest anything? Luckily, taking a few more(approx 6)hours to get there is all right with me. In fact I will enjoy it. One last thing, how is Belizean Customs handled going from Chetumal to San Pedro?? thanks bob s
Hi Bob,
I do this route all the time and yes, it is the most economical. However, you most likely will not be able to do this in one day. I recommend staying in Tulum for a night and then continuing your travel to San Pedro. The water taxi departs the terminal in Chetumal at 3:30 so you will need to check with the ADO website to see bus times and what time you will be able to arrive in Chetumal. So you will need to factor in accommodations.
Or use AA miles, and leave LAX at 6:50am, and toes in the sand by 4:50 ! I LOVE AC

DC
Originally Posted by Decompression
Or use AA miles, and leave LAX at 6:50am, and toes in the sand by 4:50 ! I LOVE AC

DC

Congratulations Decomp but I have no AA miles frown bob p.s. i expect to love it too, 1st timer.
Just and fyi that most airlines require a return flight (at least a reservation) when departing from the US.... and less than 30 day stay. If you search on this site, you can see the dialog.
Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
Just and fyi that most airlines require a return flight (at least a reservation) when departing from the US.... and less than 30 day stay. If you search on this site, you can see the dialog.

My search did not turn up a discussion like that. What are you referring to with the word "just"? I don't understand. I cannot imagine why any airline would be interested in and/or try to influence my travels. They make it expensive as possible to fly one way and I do understand why they do that, though. thank you snoopysmom......by the way did you adopt any chickens and if so how does snoopy feel about it? bob
It's not the airlines...remember those guys, Homeland Security? Well, those people that are thought to bomb planes or make them into bombs, don't need roundtrip tickets. And, they don't plan to come back. So now you need to plan to come back.....as if that criterion would stop the bad guys.
Also, foreign countries don't want to be put upon by immigrants to those countries that they don't want. So, countries don't want you to have one way tickets either.
Gwen is correct;
What I meant to say was: The first obstacle will be at the checkin counter at the airport.... if you do not have a return flight within 30 days, you will be not be allowed to travel unless you purchase one (and yes, this happened to me).
I have trouble too sometimes because some of my round trip tickets originate in Belize, now. I was bumped once domestically, and when the airlines re ticketed it, it was one way...I was frisked every leg of a trip from St Louis, to someplace, to B'more!
From the US embassy website:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All U.S. citizens must have a U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of arrival in Belize and a proof of return to the U.S. No visas are required for citizens of the United States for tourist visits of up to 30 days, but they must have onward or return air tickets and proof of sufficient funds to maintain themselves in Belize. Visitors for purposes other than tourism, or who wish to stay longer than 30 days, must obtain visas. All tourists and non-Belizean citizens are required to pay an exit fee of U.S. $39.25 (payable in U.S. dollars only). Belize allows visitors a maximum of one month's stay in the country before they require an extension. No specific immunizations are required for visitors to Belize. Visit the Embassy of Belize website for the most current visa information.
AND me too - I almost wasn't allowed on the plane last September (the return part of a round trip ticket) as my Belize Residency card had expired. I had to purchase what they called a "through" ticket which is supposedly refundable. I haven't gotten the refund yet!
I have been told it is the Belize government that requires that. When you get your passport stamped after thirty days you have to show a return ticket or $1,800. That same $1,800 went from hand to hand. LOL
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
AND me too - I almost wasn't allowed on the plane last September (the return part of a round trip ticket) as my Belize Residency card had expired. I had to purchase what they called a "through" ticket which is supposedly refundable. I haven't gotten the refund yet!
I have been told it is the Belize government that requires that. When you get your passport stamped after thirty days you have to show a return ticket or $1,800. That same $1,800 went from hand to hand. LOL

YIKES! In this case I will be flying into Mexico. So I would have to satisfy Mexican regulations, I will have to check them! When crossing into Belize from Mexico how do they ensure you have financial means? Since presumebly you would leave by land too they have to have different rules than for flying. Is a visa really necessary for over 30 days or extensions were mentioned or can you leave and reenter the country to satisfy them as you can in Mexico? I guess the first time around 30 days would be enough to decide if I wanted to arrange for longer visits. I expect that I will but......? Thank all of you for opening my eyes to these issues. I figured I would show up at the Belizean border and be able to meet their regulations easily enough. After all tourism is an important industry to the economy, right? A one way ticket into Mexico may present less problems than Belize. I will now start searching out Mexicos rules and requirements. I have been to Mexico dozens of times by RV and by air and by train and by bus. All my air trips were round trip so it never came up. Cruises too, no problem. You can't show round trip driving in. Would a round trip bus ticket satisfy anybody? Not!
Sorry Bobbie. Was a bit "liquored up" when I posted.

As to trying to get the cheapest flight down to BZE....Flying to Cancun is definitely your best bet. AA UA/CO all have very competitive one way flights to Cancun.

Question is, how much is your time worth? I do not see a itinerary that will get you to AC by nightfall, via LAX, so factor overnight costs in.

Most of my trips to AC are Thursday thru Monday, so speed is my main objective.

Best of luck,

DC
It's international travel. The same thing happened to my friend when flying to Cancun on a 1-way. Luckily she had documentation for her return travel from a different country or she would not be allowed to fly.

I am guessing the airlines could be held responsible for you if you arrive somewhere and are "refused" by Immigration? I only raised this point so you could plan accordingly if considering a one way ticket.

No chickens yet LOL
That makes sense to me. I have the time and the inclination to go roundabout. Especially considering the cost of one way airfares. I admire your committment to being where you long to be and making it happen within your time constraints. bob
You know there are round trips that are, I believe called refundable tickets. You get one with a 30 day turn around, then cancel the return, and it becomes like an open ticket. I have one right now to return to Belize.
you can do that with any ticket and save the higher "refundable" ticket fees. As long as you use the return within a year, you will only pay the change fee and possibly the fare difference from the original return flight.

Bobble, look into the TACA redeye LAX/BZE. Leave LAX around midnight, easy quick stop in San Salvador (with no plane change) and into BZE mid-morning. Toes in the sand, Belikin in hand before Noon.........
And I appreciate your advice, it opened my eyes to another kink in the international travel process. I wanted to avoid the round trip ticket thing to have the freedom of spontaneity while I visit there. But I can compromise that idea to the extent that I need to. While trying to avoid $700 one way fare to Belize( I was ignorant of the proof of exit rule) I inadvertently learned that traveling through Cancun saves quite a few airfare dollars one way or round trip.
I see how the entry/exit rules complicate the local long term rental market now. Long term renters have to be committed and able to navigate the processes as required by law. I have always rented at 30 day or less intervals while traveling in the past. Except in Mexico where the tourist cards allow for a longer stay. bob
Originally Posted by GwenA
You know there are round trips that are, I believe called refundable tickets. You get one with a 30 day turn around, then cancel the return, and it becomes like an open ticket. I have one right now to return to Belize.

GwenA,
Are they much more expensive? I usually fly the least expensive and in the past by the time I'd cancel and reschedule the new costs way exceeded the original round trip fare. Their cancellation fee, at least $100-$150, then their rescheduled flight not at 1/2 of the original fare but costing way way more than one half of the original ticket.
So I have to say...if you can't afford to get to Belize (either one way or giving up the return ticket) you may want to rethink whether this trip is a good idea.

I sincerely hope that didn't come across as mean spirited. Sincerely.
Part of the issue is, because Datallmon travels for a living and has racked up over two million miles with Continental, we are both Platinum flyers, we don't pay the fees. I'm not as knowledgeable about this stuff so I will ask him. I'm sorry that I forgot that part but I'll ask him next time we talk about his opinion of how to do it the cheapest way. He sure knows the ins and outs. What airline are you likely to fly. He knows all except Taca, that fly in and out of Belize.
Originally Posted by Hon
So I have to say...if you can't afford to get to Belize (either one way or giving up the return ticket) you may want to rethink whether this trip is a good idea.

I sincerely hope that didn't come across as mean spirited. Sincerely.

Hon,
No, that's okay. Maybe I am trying to be too clever here trying to devise a stratagy to have things just as I imagine I want them to be. Luckily and happily, I am not poor and get to spend quite a lot on travel and vacations. Outwitting the airlines fare offerings usually plays a part in my travels, though. bob s
GwenA,
Not to worry. I have no favorite really and have paid no attention to collecting miles. But I believe I have collected enough info now to know my travel options.
A standard set length trip of 30 days or less with pre arranged accommodations backed up by a round trip ticketed directly into and out of Belize is starting to sound pretty good right about now. smile bob s
Interesting post

Some people do claim ongoing land travel through Mexico or Guatemala as a next destination when flying one way.
Consider a refundable ticket without restrictions. Contrary to common misconception, refundable tickets don't have to be business or first class.

They also have different rules on what you can bring in from abroad than from what they allow if you are traveling from a neighboring country (Mexico).
It is much less duty free from Mexico, really almost nothing is allowed and the customs agent at the water taxi is........... (well I can't think of anything nice to say so I will end this sentence now).

Read the immigration/customs information on the Government of Belize site.
The customs agent at the water taxi was very generous to me recently. I declared US$350 worth of identifiable objects, he just looked at one of them and didn't charge me any duty.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board