AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Hotel in Cancun= HELP

Posted By: ScubaLdy

Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/25/11 12:51 AM

I'm going from San Pedro to Chetumal on the water jet next Tuesday. Then I have an ADO bus ticket to Cancan. I will have overnight in order to catch a 7 AM flight.
I do not speak English and would like to find a very inexpensive place at or near the airport with shuttle service.

I'm looking for advice.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/25/11 01:31 AM

what language do you speak?

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/25/11 01:37 AM

I'm tempted to be a smart a$$ but the truth is I do not speak Spanish; and sometimes I have trouble with English.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/25/11 02:20 AM

You won't have a problem finding a hotel - the cabbies and hoteliers speak English in Cancun.

The bus makes a few snack stops along the way, that is the only time you might wish you spoke a little Spanish so you can get a snack. But living here you will be familiar with the food and their names.

The trip is nowhere near as daunting as you may fear.

Be aware - the airport is NOT in Cancun - it is a ways out of town. I don't know the best place to stay and I don't know about budgets etc. I haven't stayed in Cancun since the early 1990's.

Posted By: PROBUS

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/25/11 04:30 AM

You're best staying in Playa del Carmen and then going to the airport from there. It's a shorter bus journey, both from Chetumal and to the airport. There is a couple of hotels I've used there. I'll PM you.
Posted By: MisterB266

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/25/11 02:15 PM

If you don't mind night buses, there are a couple of express buses that depart from Chetumal (at 10 pm and 12:30 am) and go direct to the airport. It's a 5.5 hour trip so the 10pm bus will get you there with plenty of time to spare. The 12:30 am bus will get you there at 6am (probably too close for comfort).

I usually stay in Playa, but with a 7am departure time, I might not advise this for you because Playa is about 1 hour south of the airport and the airport express buses (110 pesos) start running at 5am (getting you to the airport at 6am). You would have to leave Playa by 3 or 4am. There are probably other ways to get to the airport but I don't have any details about them. If you were forced to take a taxi, it would be more expensive from Playa than Cancun city.

Cancun City is just under 30 minutes north of the airport, and there are frequent buses to the airport. There are a few hotels near the bus terminal -- Hotel Alux (I think it's a lower budget hotel) gets good comments on forums (I've never stayed there).
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/26/11 02:36 PM

Hotel Alux is nice [only stayed at the one in Playa though not Cancun] http://hotelalux.com/
Posted By: MalibuStace

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/26/11 06:00 PM

The Marriott Courtyard has a free shuttle to the airport and is the nicest and closet hotel to Cancun Airport at this time.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cuncy-courtyard-cancun/

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/26/11 07:54 PM

Mr. B
That is just the kind of info I was looking for 10 PM bus.
Is that an ADO bus? I already have a ticket with them. Would my ticket to Cancun let me get off at the airport?
I have a contact in Chetumal so that I could spend the day there and then sleep on the bus.
Otherwise it looks like the Comfort Inn would be my next best bet.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/26/11 08:20 PM

I'm glad to see this thread, I'm taking the same trip then jumping off to cuba.

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/27/11 12:59 AM

ScubaLdy,

Yes, it is an ADO bus.

It's an express bus and the airport isn't a scheduled stop, so I don't think it will stop to let you out at the airport. But, if you keep your luggage with you in the seating area, you could try and ask the driver if you can get out. It's not unusual for the express buses to stop along a route.

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/27/11 07:00 PM

Thanks - doesn't hurt to ask.
Posted By: PROBUS

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/28/11 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by MisterB266
If you don't mind night buses, there are a couple of express buses that depart from Chetumal (at 10 pm and 12:30 am) and go direct to the airport

Are you certain of that? I asked at the Water Jets office today and they were adamant that no buses went to the airport from Chetumal, that you had to change buses in Playa or Cancun.

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 08/28/11 02:49 PM

The buses were on the schedule of the ADO website when I checked yesterday, and I know other people who have taken the bus earlier this year.
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Hotel in Cancun= HELP - 09/05/11 05:55 AM

No the express bus from Chetumal does not go to the airport.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board