AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja

Posted By: Bergy

Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja - 10/13/11 03:18 AM

Hello - Is there a convenient/cheap way to get from Ambergris Caye to Sarteneja?
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja - 10/13/11 03:30 AM

Sarteneja is not on the way to anyplace which is part of its charm, but does not make for cheap/convenient travel to an from.

Re: Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja - 10/13/11 04:23 AM

I guess my question is more on the form of travel. How does one get from Ambergris to Sarteneja, and then back again? Is there a ferry or a water taxi? I am planning a trip and will stay in Ambergris, but want to visit Sarteneja.
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja - 10/13/11 04:48 AM

I've been on the Tropic Flight from Corozal to San Pedro when we've stopped to pick people up at a very small airstrip...I'm pretty sure it was Sartaneja. You should check with their website. I also think the thunderbolt boat will stop in Sartaneja (that would be the cheaper option) but I think they are not running right now due to the slow season.
Posted By: gecko_girl

Re: Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja - 10/13/11 05:14 AM

The San Pedro/Corozal Tropic flight does stop in Sarteneja if they have booked passengers.
Posted By: Bear

Re: Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja - 10/13/11 05:22 AM

http://www.sarteneja.net/howtoget.html
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja - 10/13/11 01:18 PM

Thunderbolt recently discontinued service between San Pedro and Corozal Town (with a stop on demand in Sarteneja) due to lack of business, but reportedly will resume at least some service tomorrow (Friday).

Tropic's flights from San Pedro to Corozal will stop at the Sarteneja airstrip on demand.

If you're on the mainland you can drive from Orange Walk Town or from Corozal Town. From Corozal you have to cross the New River and Laguna Seca on hand-pulled ferries. Roads are okay except after heavy rains.

There also are Sarteneja buses from Belize City and Orange Walk.

Sartenja is amazing! Candelie's is a nice, inexpensive place to stay. Richie's and Liz Fast Food are good spots for cheap local eats.

--Lan Sluder

Re: Travel from Ambergris to Sarteneja - 10/17/11 08:58 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded. It was very useful information.
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board