AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Customs if using Municipal Airport

Posted By: beachything1

Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/03/11 02:51 AM

I've been to AC once and CC once. Both times I've flown on Tropic and Mayan. Since four will travel next time - I was wondering about taking a taxi to the Municipal Airport for cost savings. I've read the pros and cons. My question is - when you get to BZE and get your puddle jumper ticket, you pass thru customs and wait for your flight. What happens if you get off the plane and take a taxi to Municipal - is there a customs there. What to expect when we get there?
Also, does anyone know what Tropic or Mayan's difinition of child is? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/03/11 03:05 AM

Actually, you pass through Immigration after you deplane your international flight, then pick up your luggage and pass through Customs. Then, assuming intend to take puddle jumper from the International, you would make a left into the terminal to get your puddle jumper ticket, and recheck your bags with them. Once you've done that, then pass through security to wait for your Tropic/Maya plane to the island. *Or*, should the 4 of you choose to go to Municipal, you'd turn right after Customs, to the outside of the terminal and catch your taxi there.

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/03/11 03:38 AM

Thanks for the info. I normally don't have anything other than carry-ons. Didn't see the need to even walk into the airport - was just thinking of getting off the plane and catching one of the waiting cabs.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/03/11 04:13 AM

I've never been to any country where I didn't have to go through customs and immigration.
I do encourage you to taxi to Muni and fly from there. Just be sure and have a reservation.
Posted By: PROBUS

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/03/11 04:20 AM

I think you'll find it's physically impossible at the International Airport to bypass formalities. And I've never from airside seen any cabs at that airport. You can at the Municipal, but you can't arrive there from abroad.

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/03/11 06:59 PM

I know it is stupid to think that you can't go thru customs. Maybe I had too many drinks at the airport bar and on the plane. I just remember exiting the plane outside then and walking around to the front (outside) - there were a number of taxis - then going directly in and purchasing my ticket - then thru immigration and customs - then to Jets. Maybe I'm remembering wrong - wouldn't be the first time!
Posted By: klcman

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/03/11 07:35 PM

proper events, wrong sequence smile
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/04/11 06:02 AM

When you get off the plane before you get your luggage or no luggage you go through one check point. Then if you have no luggage you go through another inspection. Usually very quick, especially if you dont have luggage. Then you walk out on the street, or go to Tropic or Maya Air.
You will not save alot of money going to Municipal, after taxi fees etc and the xtra hours in travel time.
Your post is kind of strange, BZE has dogs that sniff out your bags.........

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/05/11 05:46 AM

I was trying to get genuine help. I really think I can figure this out on my own, though. I also can do the math and it seems that we can save money - or not bother with saving - going to the municipal strip. Sorry I even bothered...
Posted By: seashell

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/05/11 07:36 AM

Um . . . I beg your pardon?
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/05/11 11:51 AM

If you only travel with carry on then you went through the fast track line at customs so you may not have realized as they waved and waived you through.

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/06/11 04:15 AM

Wow,I think we were all trying to help, just added a little humour, if you dont need help dont ask. Sorry for your attitude.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/06/11 05:19 AM

I always suggest if there are two or more people to taxi to Muni. There are others who really don't like the idea for a variety of reasons. Some people are in a rush to meet friends (or stangers) at one of the many beach bars and don't care how long it takes their luggage to arrive.

Also, I get all the information I need on Belize City and the landscape in the 20 minutes ride.

I hate it when my guests rush over on the first plane, landing arond 4:00 and I have to wait until the last plane arrives, sometimes as late as 6:30 for their luggage to arrive.

When you fly over, FROM MUNI at least on Tropic, your bags are on the same plane as you.

It just all depends on what is important to you.

And - hint hint - don't be super sensitive. As you will hear often "Relax Mon!

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/06/11 08:32 PM

Did get a little testy. Usually more laid back than that. Thanks to all replys. I do think if we can get an early flight, it is best to take the trouble to go to muni - even with the taxi ride, you're talking about $180 US bucks savings - buys alot of Belikins - if we were rich, I'd rather just hop on at the Intl. Then again, if we were rich, we'd live there!

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/07/11 03:38 AM

I seem to spend alot of time being confused, but as of today a RT from International to S.P is $125 RT, RT from municiple is $72 RT. if you add the $30, yes its most often $30 now and xtra for more persons. Then thats $125 RT from international and $102 RT from Municiple adding on the taxi fare...where did the other big money go???

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/07/11 03:47 AM

Thats $25 or $30 each way from BC to International why the $102 amount.

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/09/11 10:42 PM

Okay - math re-done....72 x 4 = 288 - 125 x 4 = 500 = savings of $212 - $60 both ways on taxi = $152....forgot to add the returning taxi on last post. $152 is still quite a bit - if you have an early flight and are in no danger of having to stay in Belize City over night. Also found out that Tropic considers kids under eleven - our little demon is twelve....
I agree with the person who said that if you have a party more than two, then it is worth it. Thanks all. Wish I was Samantha Stevens - twich, twich!
Posted By: gecko_girl

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 12/10/11 01:17 AM

Whichever airport you choose to fly from, become a Tropic Air VIP via our website or the mobile app and get 10% discount on all flights.
Posted By: KCB

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 01/27/12 07:23 PM

I wont be so rude lol.....one? We are ariving by cruise ship what should i except at the little airport as to customs. We are flying maya air to san pedro.
Posted By: champion

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 01/27/12 07:26 PM

No customs. Just get on and fly!
Posted By: KCB

Re: Customs if using Municipal Airport - 01/27/12 07:34 PM

Thanks for the quick reply
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board