AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: PeteinCo any ATM's ?? - 07/12/00 12:30 AM
Are there ATM's available???
Posted By: Marty Re: any ATM's ?? - 07/12/00 02:19 AM
only for local banks...
Posted By: Ann Re: any ATM's ?? - 07/25/00 05:34 PM
I have been successfully using my ATM cards issued by two separate UK banks in the machines in Belize for the past two years. I just use the same pin number as at home and - hey presto - the dosh comes out in Belize dollars and I get charged on my account at home.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/01/00 11:53 PM
is this true? does anyone know if i can use my US ATM card ther? it would be great. also, are credit cards taken at the nicer restaraunts? probably not at the smaller ones though, huh?
Posted By: Chloe Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 12:11 AM
Jane forget the ATM's. You can use your credit card at most places. At JE you can charge everything on your credit card.
Maybe some small restaurant for lunch, you would need to pay cash. When you pay with US$ your change will be in BZ$.
Posted By: Chloe Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 12:14 AM
There will be a small transfer fee on your credit card, for every charge. For converting the BZ$ TO US$.
Posted By: Marvel Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 01:12 AM
Should you go directly to a bank and exchange dollars to Belize money? I know just about every business takes U.S. dollars but is it easier to just convert and use Belize currency?
Posted By: Chloe Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 03:27 AM
We found using US$, was easier to keep track of our spending. Of course, then using the BZ$ that we got in change, on our next purchase. But if you feel more comfortable
then convert your money at the bank. Might be fun since you will seem to have twice as much money. LOL
Posted By: Marvel Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 02:04 PM
Chloe: That's what I was thinking! When I do the books on our business, I some times tell the loved one,"Well, we have $$$$$$$ in the bank." his eyes light up but then he laughs and tells me to stop converting! Can't fool him! Have a Great Day!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 02:34 PM
To my knowledge, only the two international banks (UK's Barclay's Bank and Canada's ScotiaBank) have ATMs that accept non-Belize issued ATMs.

Belize Bank and Atlantic Bank have ATMs, but I believe they still do not work with non-Belize cards.

Only Belize Bank and Atlantic Bank have branches in San Pedro.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 04:31 PM
RE: Credit cards

You have to work pretty hard to find a place in AC that won't accept your credit card. (Perhaps the fresh orange juice and bbq chicken guy on Back Street won't). I've never seen any type of conversion charge on my cards, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. We've never returned with more BZ$ than we wanted to bring home. A few days before you are scheduled to return start asking for your change in US$ and most of the local businesses will accomodate you.

If you are departing, the Jet Bar at the airport will ALWAYS give you change in US$.

Of course if you keep a lot of BZ$ it is a great excuse to go back..
Posted By: Chloe Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 07:24 PM
Also you can use the BZ$ to pay your departure tax at the airport, $15.00 per person I believe.
Posted By: Shafik Habal Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 08:53 PM
A while ago atlantic bank was planning to get an ATM and they actually build the structure for it.. As for May they didn't have it, but i don't know about now or when they plan to get it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/02/00 11:27 PM
thanks all. think i'll just use my cc and skip the hassle, man! no worries, right?
Posted By: Jstifter Re: any ATM's ?? - 08/03/00 05:47 PM
We went to the bank and drew cash from our credit card---they charged $7.50 for the service but we found thro most everyone takes credit cards on the tourist locations, it is much easier to deal in cash, especially if you are traveling with others
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board